• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Harvesting

All varieties are different. Some will hang for a long time, while others will dry on the plant. The thicker pods will also rot if hanging too long. But that's how long they can last. If you're asking how long before they're ripe...well, I know I always accidentally pull pods that look ripe, but end up being green. They look different inside the house than outside. Lol. To me, that part is a guessing game.

most I pick a day after they're all red and there isn't any other change. Experiment though, some taste a lot better before they ripen, or through different stages of ripeness. A lot of the sweet Chinense get a grassy taste if you let them ripen too long, and some varieties will swell and crack open like tomatoes if left too long. 

For most peppers, once they turn red (whatever the ripe color is), I usually try to wait till they go a full day without getting any darker/deeper in color. There are exceptions; for instance, with yellow Bonnets, i tend to pick them once they are totally yellow, but before they go that deep Velveeta color.... And, with browns/chocolates/caramels, i definitely have trouble "reading" the colors, and tend to accidentally pick them on the early side...

That methods has worked for me, but it probably ain't the "best" way. I just tend to pick impatiently, so trying to wait a day had helped me allow fill flavors to develop.

What pepper stays green?
Jalapenos are sold green like others but they do go red, their picked green because their hotter then when they turn ripe.

Back