misc Pepper Salt container size

I decided to add pepper salts to the mix and ordered some 5.5 oz spice containers with the press on seal and a shaker flip top. I filled a few but I think they're too big. I'm thinking of going with the 3.5 oz size with the same seal and lids. That's about the size of normal salt and peppers shakers and it wouldn't last a year so maybe that could help sales too. Thoughts????

SPICE_JARS_PP.jpg

It's about the size of Morton's salt substitute.

morton-salt-substitute-4-250x544.png

and the S & P set
8f00ebfa-752f-4bb0-a7cf-2546657b8618_1.605921326502c3b52f36684001889bf7.jpeg

I have a couple screw on bottles with a little over 50g of powder in each. Seems these are going to last my household longer than I thought.
I keep them in ziploc bags to make sure no moisture gets in. But a nice shaker lid would be nice. But the holes would need to be the right size for how fine the powder is grinded (I've overdone it a couple times).
I was looking around for traveler size containers to take some on the go (working offshore). Ordered the keygoes that look perfect. It's at my house now and I haven't got to look at it, but I hope the little containers are refillable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

If the mix is heavy on the salt with spices and herbs where the user will be using 1-2 tablespoons at a time, I'd keep wiht the larger bottle.  If it is less salt and more of a pepper and spices blend where they will be using a shake or a teaspoon at a time, maybe go with the smaller ones.

I just saw your smoked pepper salt thread. If that's what it is, smaller would be better.

Yes, that's what it is. The salt is 90% course and these shaker lids work good. Unless you use it to cook with everyday it will last a long time on the table and that's not good for sales. 

I had my sister bring some to work at a Dr's office and everyone loved it, both smoked and plain. One discussion that came up was some wanted it finer than course grind to season meat with when cooking. I don't know if that's a big deal, the salt does dissolve when it gets wet.

It's a learning thing and I'll know after a few markets what people like most and go that direction but I appreciate all the feedback I can get.

3.5 should last awhile...

BBQ rub, I can do thru a whole bottle in one cook lol... but salt, will last forever for me...

I plan on doing some seasonings too!!!! I want to offer a salt free Cajun seasoning so you can adjust that yourself. There's too much salt in most of our Cajun staple seasonings here. The pepper salt should be a good compliment for that and you know I've been playing with some BBQ rubs so that might be in the mix too.

I think the key for us chiliheads is make it hot enough to where we don't need to keep adding more to raise the heat, that's the problem with the salt. We add more and more and most people don't. Superhots in a cajun spice would be awesome.

Is there a superhot that mimics the cayenne flavor? That would be really interesting. The Carolina Cayenne I know is pretty hot, pair that with a superhot in the mix...

Back