• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Ok soooo how does this sound?

Im craving beans. Ive got some mildish anduoille. Ive got some dried aji panca pods.

Im thinking about a simple sofrito with mostly onion/celery and adding some panca paste to the sofrito. Ive got some good organic paste coming from Amazon to test out too. https://www.amazon.com/Z%C3%B3calo-Peru-Organic-Panca-Paste/dp/B003D0MP52

Now, i normally use black beans but ive noticed canary beans are more commonly used for Peruvian bean soups. I can get those no problem...i think. If not im sure ive got whites like cannellini.

A slight Cajun/Peru bean fusion kinda sounds good. Possibly add some chicken thigh meat or a little ham?

i`m not a big bean person. when i was growing up the only beans we ate were green beans and baked beans. on rare occasions i ate 3 bean salad. i have a hard time enjoying the large red kidney beans and most others. about the only ones that i really like are black beans. 

What a PITA it is to find those beans.

Dried bean section....nada but they had lots of others
Lentil section....nope
Canned bean section...nope and they got tons from Goya and Mexico
Peruvian section with the paste....BINGO, right below the Belmont Aji Panca paste.

Lets look at the paste while im here
Low sodium 65mg per tbs....CHECK
No monosodium trybislfite sulfur dioxin  whatever shit.....CHECK
Peppers, salt and citric acid...CHECK
Product of Peru....CHECK
Into the basket it goes for $3.50!!!!

Why,.......? because Amazon sent me the wrong damn paste. Not a total loss its a top shelf Aji Amarillo paste with ZERO sodium added.

They sell mayocoba beans at every international market here. A package of dried beans is like $2. Maybe it's becase there are so many Peruvians here, IDK.

That sucks that they sent you aji amarillo paste, instead of aji panca. At least aji amarillo paste is delicius, so definitely not a total loss!

Aint that some crap.....just checked the closest Walmart and they got them in stock and cheaper too. Same brand.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verde-Valle-Peruano-Mayocoba-Beans-32-oz/37620724

Beans are soaking and the market had the jumbo red shallots too. I also grabbed some fresh culantro. I was so pissed by the time i found the beans i forgot about pork belly. Sooooo, im stuck with pork tenderloin unless i make a special trip.

OK first off, the aji amarillo paste was nothing like i was expecting. I had to double check the ingredient list. It tasted like a spicy mango and it wasnt as spicy as i had assumed. The Belmont aji panca paste is excellent. Mild but not without heat. The salt is just barely noticeable. Not nearly as sweet as the amarillo.

Sofrito
1/2ish cup of large red shallot
1+ cups of yellow onion
2 8" stalks of celery
2 tbs minced garlic
2 farmers market jalapeno
6 small cherry tomatos
2 tbs bacon crumbles
2 tbs aji panca paste
1 tbs aji amarillo paste
Pinch of Mexican oregano
Maybe 2 tsp of ground cumin
Maybe a tsp of fresh cracked black pepper
A couple tablespoons of culantro chopped from the stem end of the leaves. The rest set aside for garnish

8oz of andouille
24oz of pork tenderloin browned in the sausage fat and a little panca paste.

2 cups dry canary beans soaked overnight and then simmered in chicken broth for a couple hours. Turned them off while making the sofrito.

Its melding right now and i got so say its MAWVELOUS!!! There is just enough salt in the sausage, bacon and panca paste it will need hardly any added.

Had extra pork so im trying something completely different

About a 1 1/2lbs of pork tenderloin cut about 3/4" thick

Marinade
1 tbs panca paste
1 tbs amarillo paste
1 tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tbs lime juice
2 tbs Chinese cooking wine
1 tsp sugar
A little black pepper, cumin and granulated garlic

Might toss them out on the grill later if the weather cooperates. Stirfry some onions and mild peppers. Slice the grilled pork and slap it all on a soft taco. :D

Make onion straws or thin onion rings, that would be a dope topper to that... with a dollop of apple sauce... on white bread boom!

Well, the weather has been kinda blaahhhh so i pan fried them in some pork fat. Needs more heat. Maybe a tbs of rocoto paste. A bit more sweetness too depending how the meat will be used. Adding a little amarillo paste to one at serving was really close....As is the first thing that came to mind would be Peruvian pork fried rice or a stirfry. :D

Their national dish is a stir fry... loma saltado... just use pork :D
Ohhh and sweet potato fries instead of regular yum...

Pollo a La Brasa....well sorta...im missing huacatay paste and this is baked chicken thighs on a bed of onions and some of my mild mystery peppers. Tossed the onions and peppers in EVO, my panca powder blend and a little salt. Covered the bottom of the pan.

Marinated the boneless skinless thighs in oil, a couple tbs of the powder, a tbs+ of amarillo paste, tbs of soy sauce and a little lime juice. Laid them all on the top of the onions and peppers with a sprinkle of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Should be ready in 45min or so.

Probably just have them with flour tortillas and some really soupy refried beans i thin down with chicken stock and crumbled bacon.

Back