• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

how long safely store in vinegar salt solution

Hi,

I have been storing picked peppers in a straight vinegar salt solution jar to keep them from going bad until I can make a certain hot sauce.

How long can this be done safely?  It's straight white vinegar and lots of salt.  They look and smell fine, maintaining color, etc.

Been about 2 months so far I just keep adding to it.  Haven't had time to make the sauce yet and still picking peppers as they ripen.

Thanks

-Tom

Forever in my opinion, even if the vinegar is dried out eventually the preservation of the content would just dry out to a solid matter, the salt content would just become more concentrated into the content.

Agree with ^^^.

If you have space, peppers can be frozen as they ripen and used later.

Thanks. I usually dehydrate via dehydrator or smoker but these are for a sauce and I wanted them not dried out so I figured vinegar and salt since that will be part of the sauce anyway...

That vinegar will take someone the heat so be sure to use it as your sauce vinegar.

The Hot Pepper said:
That vinegar will take someone the heat so be sure to use it as your sauce vinegar.

The smaller jar that I am using today will be hot. It's pure Scotch Bonnet and some other pumpkin looking large really hot pepper that the garden center just labelled the plants as Caribbean Super Hots. 

The other huge jar for a future sauce is just Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers and I don't want that one to be super hot anyway.

Back