• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Superhot Crosses

Has anyone noticed most superhot crosses are hybrids between the Naga Family and the Caribbean Family. For example 7 pot primo is a cross between a Naga Morich and a Trinidad 7 pot. The BBM is the same cross but in reverse. The Bhutlah is a Bhut and a Douglah. The Jigsaw is a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and a Naga Morich.
My guess is that there are 2 separate superhot genes that when combined for a hotter superhot

SpeakPolish said:
Has anyone noticed most superhot crosses are hybrids between the Naga Family and the Caribbean Family.

An interesting observation. It seems to me that a very large percentage of the superhots that are readily available (not counting all the newer crosses) are Bhuts and Nagas, and caribbean-origin types like 7 Pots and Scorpions. Maybe the reason for what you observed is simply that crossing a Bhut with a Scorpion, for example, seems more interesting to most growers than crossing a Bhut with a Naga or a Scorpion with a different Scorpion. I know that my own cross ideas usually use two fairly different peppers, rather than two very similar ones.

BlackFatalii said:

An interesting observation. It seems to me that a very large percentage of the superhots that are readily available (not counting all the newer crosses) are Bhuts and Nagas, and caribbean-origin types like 7 Pots and Scorpions. Maybe the reason for what you observed is simply that crossing a Bhut with a Scorpion, for example, seems more interesting to most growers than crossing a Bhut with a Naga or a Scorpion with a different Scorpion. I know that my own cross ideas usually use two fairly different peppers, rather than two very similar ones.

That's kinda what i thought when i read this post, too. Crossing two varieties that are already wrote similar seems, to me, like it'd be counterproductive.

What I mean is that those crosses are usually hotter than the landrace varieties. Bhutlah is an up and coming super duper hot. Everyone knows about the Primo. The Louisiana creeper is a BBM and a Primo, which is another up and coming super duper hot

Imo it just makes sense to cross two *different* superhots whether you're going for heat or variety. You probably won't get much crossing a bhut with a Naga or similar, but you could get something really cool crossing a bhut with a 7 pot or similar. It is an interesting observation, but a lot of the 7 pots and things are fairly hot on their own.

SpeakPolish said:
What I mean is that those crosses are usually hotter than the landrace varieties. Bhutlah is an up and coming super duper hot. Everyone knows about the Primo. The Louisiana creeper is a BBM and a Primo, which is another up and coming super duper hot

Wait, what is your basis for asserting that such crosses are "usually hotter" than other superhots? You named three peppers. I wonder how many such new crosses are being made by growers around the world every single season? How many peppers have we never even heard about because they were nothing special, or maybe were even LESS hot than their parents? Unless you have something more to offer, such as some study of pepper genetics that you can link to that backs up your assertion, then I just don't see any real basis for claiming that such crosses are "usually hotter" than their parents due to some alleged special combination of genes. It is an interesting idea, but without some real evidence to back it up, that is all it is.

Also, don't forget that each of the crosses you named is the product of years of selective breeding. I would be very surprised if extreme heat wasn't one of the traits that Troy was selecting for at each generation when he created his Primo, BBM, and Creeper crosses. The selection process itself is a huge factor in the final result.

SpeakPolish said:
The BBM is the same cross but in reverse. 
My guess is that there are 2 separate superhot genes that when combined for a hotter superhot

OK, but is the BBM really hotter than its Douglah mother? Can you show that it is? I have tried both and I am not too sure either way. I haven't seen any HPLC testing for the BBM, so who knows whether it is really hotter than the Douglah?

Back