• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Lovely Yellow Pepper

Back in early summer I went to my favorite organic farm to buy my regular assortment of veggie starts. As far as peppers go, year after year they typically have jalapeno, serrano, cayenne, and on rare occasion some basic variety of habanero.This year I was surprised to see a flat full of ghost pepper starts, so I grabbed one along with some jalapeno and anaheim. However after the "ghost" peppers grew I noticed they didn't seem as hot as I'd expect. Also, the jalapeno was mislabeled and ended up being a heat-less, yet very tasty, long sweet pepper. So I thought I'd share some pictures and find out what I really ended up with.

The fruit starts green and shifts to a bright yellow, eventually turning slightly orange after hitting peak ripeness. The pepper has a thin skin and an almost creamy "meat" inside. There are very few seeds scattered throughout each pepper rather than clustered near the top.The flavor is extremely sweet and either a bit tangy or citrus-like. The heat I'd rate a bit weaker than the average store-bought habanero (although I haven't eaten a habanero in months). When eaten raw, the heat hits the back of the throat instantly and then moves to the tongue and eventually the roof of the mouth. It later transfers to the lips. The overall heat experience lasts maybe 5-10 minutes. Eating more seems to dull out instantly and allows more time to enjoy the sweet flavor. It is an incredibly good pepper so I'm not disappointed.

Pictures include a pile of freshly picked peppers, the inside of a pepper, the fruit flower, a cluster of peppers, a stem of fruit and flowers, and the whole plant (which is about 30 inches tall).

Attachments

• Cluster.JPG
    Cluster.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Flower.JPG
    Flower.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Fruit.JPG
    Fruit.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Inside.JPG
    Inside.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Peppers.JPG
    Peppers.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Plant.jpg
    Plant.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 107
Id still love some more opinions. I ate some raw, spicy Serranos with lunch today, which are a nice and casual snacking pepper, but I came home and tried these golden buggers again and lit my mouth on serious fire. I cant do them raw without a mandarin chaser or I tear up with tingly lips.

`
Oregon Guy said:
Id still love some more opinions. I ate some raw, spicy Serranos with lunch today, which are a nice and casual snacking pepper, but I came home and tried these golden buggers again and lit my mouth on serious fire. I cant do them raw without a mandarin chaser or I tear up with tingly lips.

So let's start with Species... Your description, "tried these golden buggers again and lit my mouth on serious fire", and the pic below lead me to believe C. chinense.

bbqE13z.jpg

Multiple fruit per node, pendant fruit, constricted calyx all point towards chinense and your pic of flower with purple anthers also an indicator, I lifted below pix off GOOGLE at c. chinense flower.

chili_manaus_flower343.jpg

236140.jpg

chinense.jpg

OK, so what plant is it? There are a few chinense that are yellow and similar in shape, usually called lemon or limon:

Habanero Lemon
Lemon Habanero
Hot Pepper 'Limon'
C. chinense var. 'Limon'
Hot Lemon Habanero Chilli Pepper (Capsicum chinense)

But if I was to pick the website that has the best match to your fruit?

Hot Pepper, Aji Limon (Organic)

p-7288-hot_pepper_aji_limon.jpg

BUT!  Aji Limon is commonly used for the C. bacatuum species.> AJI LIMON PEPPER  Did you think this was going to be easy? A few here, myself included, believe this insane willy-nilly "naming" of peppers causing more problems that will only exacerbate as years pass. See posts #11 & #12 @ " Sunshine Chili " .

Hope this helps!
NECM

`

The farm link you sent is about 40 miles from the farm where I got my plant. Both are stated organic as well. Seed sharing, maybe? Ill accept that naming a possible cross strain chinense is a burdening challenge and accept that I bought a wonderful hot pepper, which Im transplanting next week into s house pot because it is still flowering like mad. I did notice the flowers are all randomly 5 or 6 petal. Ill tell folks I share them with that they are Lemon Laxative peppers. Thanks for the responses.

So I visit a friend today and theyve got a couple plants identical to my Lemon Laxative with nursery labels stating Golden Ghost mixed in with their bhuts and orange habs. Same fruit pods as well. I popped a hab in my mouth, which was rightfully hot, but it wasnt nearly as hot as my sunshine pepper. They said their golden ghost was extremely hot as well. Ill compare it to some red bhuts they gave me later. Whatever this pepper really is, its a spicy keeper.

I found my answer looking through this link and its sub-links as it confirms there really is a plant of this name and not just some guesstimate made by the small farm I buy from:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/68269-bonnie-golden-ghost/
---- https://www.totallytomato.com/P/03079/Golden+Ghost+Hybrid+Pepper
---- http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/peppers/hot-peppers/golden-ghost-f1-pepper-seed-3269.html

This hybrid plant is definitely what I have. I just transplanted it for indoors, but I'll have to see how that takes since I accidentally snapped one of the main root stems and it is sagging a bit. At least I have a few dozen seeds from the plant to regrow next spring.

:dance: Thanks again for all the help in trying to solve my pepper ID. :dance:

Case closed...

Back