• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kratky Method Malawi Peppadew Surviving Freezing Weather

These supposed to be Pappadew. Really, Peppadew is a treatment given the round-ish peppers that originated in South Africa, but I think that's splitting hairs, and I choose to still call them Pappadew. These are growing sort of out of "the middle of branches" into very pretty round-ish; and got them as so-called "PepperDew" (the person/company selling them wants to stay away from 'infringement' lawsuits, so he chose that "alternate name." Can you tell me - are these Peppadew? I think I have 3 of 5 that survived; which is fine - just now getting some good-sized fruits starting - and they are supposedly rugged, meaning they can survive the first frost or two, so even if I have to leave them until early November to redden, the should be good. Peppadew or...  ?

Attachments

• PeppadewEnlarged.jpg
    PeppadewEnlarged.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 73
HotSpit said:
These supposed to be Pappadew. Really, Peppadew is a treatment given the round-ish peppers that originated in South Africa, but I think that's splitting hairs, and I choose to still call them Pappadew. These are growing sort of out of "the middle of branches" into very pretty round-ish; and got them as so-called "PepperDew" (the person/company selling them wants to stay away from 'infringement' lawsuits, so he chose that "alternate name." Can you tell me - are these Peppadew? I think I have 3 of 5 that survived; which is fine - just now getting some good-sized fruits starting - and they are supposedly rugged, meaning they can survive the first frost or two, so even if I have to leave them until early November to redden, the should be good. Peppadew or...  ?
I think just like many peppers out there this variety has a few different names. I grew out some a couple of years ago, bought seed as Malawi Picante. They were in containers and they survived several light frosts as yours did. They are excellent pickled in a sweet brine.

Varieties like peppadew and moa scotch bonnet have restrictions, and it is unclear whether some of the seeds circulated are true genetics as it appears that both you and skullbiker are likely aware.  The upright pods and narrow pointed leaves are somewhat different than what I had.  However, I always say if you like the taste and other qualities of a pepper variety that you are growing, it really does not matter much what the exact name is.  Just keep growing and enjoying.

skullbiker said:
I think just like many peppers out there this variety has a few different names. I grew out some a couple of years ago, bought seed as Malawi Picante. They were in containers and they survived several light frosts as yours did. They are excellent pickled in a sweet brine.

Mine have had no frost yet - 98 degrees in Tennessee! We have at least 6 or 7 more 90+ degree days.
I was just saying that they "can" survive, if I have to wait that long (November) for them to get more grown & red.

I'm sure if the seeds come from South Africa, they likely are true genetic Peppadew strain. I don't know the source, but I possibly can find out. I know of some restrictions, but many people are confused on that - the only real restrictions are "sale" of the product as "Peppadew," which is trademarked. Seeds can be freely grown, but nobody can sell any such product from seeds and really call it "Peppadew." Also, you cannot freely sell Peppadew product, unless authorized by the original source(s) in South Africa; and the ones you do sell must not have viable seeds. A restaurant here in Nashville called Rodizio Grill sells Peppadew on their salad bar. Many stores, online and otherwise sell them; but they must be sanctioned, properly imported, licensed, authorized, etc. And yes, many Picquante (however it's spelled) varieties are very similar.

Back