• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Using Fermented Mash

Hi All you chilli heads
This might seems like a stupid question ( but apparently there is no such thing just stupid people hahaha), but once I've made a fermented mash how do I incorporate it into my recipe? Do I add all the recipe ingredients to the mash or do I had them after? I'll give you my exact dilemma. I'm getting five pounds of green jalapeno and 5 pounds of yellow habanero. My plan is to ferment them separately( normal way with salt water and garlic. But again should i pulp them first or after fermentation?) and use that mash with limes, kiwi, pineapple, radish (perhaps)xanthan gum and tequila( not sure if alcohol is good to use or not, seen different people say different things). Looking for an amazing green color as per my previous post. Now comes my dilemma....How much mash? How much water? How much vinegar?
 I know making sauce is an art and trial and error and all that, but surely there's a rule of sorts. EG For a really hot sauce so much mash, and for a less vinegar sauce so much more water etc... Any help will be really appreciated. I could go without the fermentation method I guess and make a fresh sauce like a lot of recipes I see here on the forum ( or am I misreading the recipes and mash IS used) but id really like to get the added flavors of a mash. 
Again thanks in advance and sorry for the stupid question.#feelingfoolish

Also check out the Weights and Measures thread. Understand that the word mash can mean something fermented or the consistency of ground up peppers.

Whether to ferment or not is a matter of personal taste. To get to that neon green mentioned elsewhere, if fermenting, keep it in a dark place. Light sources will fade the color.

As far as mixing thing up..It is completely up.to you. Many people blender the snot out of the fermented stuff, add things or not as they desire.

As you know, there are......Tons......Of non - fermented sauces also.

Have fun. The best way to learn is to just dive in following good processes as outlined on the Stickies.
SL

Back