• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Helixx's GLOG AU.

Hi peoples,

I think I should document my recent pepper growing efforts in hope that you guys have advice/tips to help me along the way.

I should also add I live on the west coast of Australia in a very warm climate.  Mild winters (12c-25c) and crazy summers (20c-40c)
I'll also add all measurements are in metric as that is the most sane system to use. Sorry U.S. brothers....

A little history, previously I've grown peter peppers with great success, mostly for the lols.  They have an adequate heat to add to sandwiches/wraps.
But they don't add any unique flavour.  I've also grown reapers with less success but add them to a wrap or meal and they became the stand out ingredient.

I tried germinating many super hots in jiffy pellets outdoors with almost zero success, then picked up a small LED set up and germinated indoors with rock wool, boom 100% success rate.
Namely YBBG and I think some type of Habanero, but because i doubted the germination rate I didn't label the particular Habanero. 
Some I've transferred to DWC and some are in soil.  The plants in soil are all in pots and should produce eventually.

What I need advice about is the DWC plants.
I've started in small 15L containers under a 600W light with A/C, but 1 I've transferred to a 55L rubbish bin outdoors. It seems to be going well.
I have another of similar age that has gone wild, but it's still in the smaller container, but still in artificial light.
My biggest fear is that during summer, outdoors, the solution which get too hot and kill the plant so I've wrapped the container in a car windscreen protector to try and insulate it.
Also it only sees morning sun and is shaded from 10:00am on. 
We still haven't hit full summer here so I'm not sure how it will cope, I'm hoping it'll be okay.
Soon the indoor plant will need support (easy fixed) but I'm worried I'll run out of room in my (A/C) shed as it's looking to be a massive plant.
Should I move it outside also in an insulated 55L container in moderate sunlight, or see how it goes in the smaller container indoors?
The only issue I see is outdoors it dies and indoors the smaller container needs constant inspections so it doesn't run dry.

TLDR: It gets hot here, I'm growing peppers indoors and outdoors moslty in DWC, as my previous success in soil was mediocre.
All DWC solution is Chilli focus, mixed at maximum strength. (10ml per 1L)
Should I grow indoors or outdoors?

Photos to follow,

83fed22d0eb9c74d836dc321c89bd0f5.jpg
c564282c2dfb03f4c28e0fa05c91dc85.jpg
98bfe4df213a132bf5e5f621a2c1a4d3.jpg
4759c46577764f249ad6ea717be67f65.jpg

92b9648fa92fd7b3c37a17ca127b360a.jpg
e2d9a76eda6bae5deb3baa222b6ca9be.jpg
9a37caa9c27ea8abbb0bf1eac95a5d19.jpg
593944a9e7da100f9d2ff25c5248fbc2.jpg
6b9167c5a10a186bc1372fe5709f834b.jpg

While I have no experience with DWC (I grow in soil), I would try to take advantage of the natural sunlight as much as possible. It doesn't make sense to use artificial when our sun can do a better job for free.

Also, if you are truly worried about the sun heating the buckets you could use two rubbish bins, one inside the other and wrap the outer one, sort of like double glazed windows. You could even make a big sun-brero (geddit  :rofl: ) for the top of the bucket so it shades underneath .

Hope this helps, SR.

I'm trying indoors to see if a more controlled climate makes a difference. I'm hoping the larger volume helps for the outdoor dwc. Will keep this thread updated as I go

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back