• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Storing sauces and canned products temperature

Hello, I have been meaning to ask this question for some time but kept forgetting-but is it less than ideal or more ideal to keep our products like sauces, purees, canned/jarred stuff, and bottles exposed to the colder winter Temps vs indoors? I have a shed outside that's not insulated but stays warmer at night than outdoor I suppose but say lows right now are 40s but can get as cold as freezing in the winter.
Was thinking this to save space indoors but if I can't I will have to store them under the beds or something.. Have lots of stuff "put away" for the season and the jars take up lots of space and are heavy to have to unstack them every time I need something!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Maybe consider putting a small electric heater in the shed on nights when there is a serious freeze risk. Few nights a year, not a lot of money for the powerand it saves the space in the house.

Priorities... :Lol:

We put a space heater in a greenhouse full of about 30 pepper plants trying to keep them going long enough for all the green pods to ripen. Had it going full blast for at least a month, november-ish.

Husband was not too happy with the power bill in December....:lol:

Anyway...Back to the op...

Jars will freeze and break. Stash 'em under the bed if you can.

Edit....

Delete....

But I can't help laughing about how it could be... all the bragging rights of how HOT things are in the bedroom now..... :ROFL:...
OK, never mind...

Like salsalady said, it really depends on which jars you buy. Ball/Kerr have recently (in the past few years) started making freezer safe jars. There are probably other brands that do too. Most important thing is that they're tempered glass, and that the jars are "straight walled/sided" (jars that don't have a "shoulder/neck"). Ball's 'wide mouth' pint jars will work fine, but NOT the 'regular mouth' ones. All of their half pint (freezer safe) jars should be fine since the neck doesn't taper in. You should leave about 3/4" headspace for expansion/contraction too. Woozy bottles and other tapered neck bottles are a big "no-no," and they'll definitely shatter

Here's a chart from Ball's website:
IMG_7527.JPG

It'll say "freezer safe" right on the box too:
IMG_7526.JPG

Much to my wife's dismay (lol), I have a bunch of these in all 3 of my freezers, from 2016 (I think?):
IMG_7525.JPG

^ That sauce is pretty bangin'. Pineapple, mango, Fatalii; and it's great thinned out with a little pineapple juice and poured over ice with some Malibu coconut rum and some white rum ;)
Great summertime drink! :lol:

MikeUSMC said:
Much to my wife's dismay (lol), I have a bunch of these in all 3 of my freezers, from 2016 (I think?):
attachicon.gif
IMG_7525.JPG

^ That sauce is pretty bangin'. Pineapple, mango, Fatalii; and it's great thinned out with a little pineapple juice and poured over ice with some Malibu coconut rum and some white rum ;)
Great summertime drink! :lol:
OOOOOOhhhh that sounds good!   I have some fatalii chiles in the freezer just waiting for some inspiration........

Wrap your jars in bubble wrap or newspaper/cardboard and it will probably be OK. Make it few layers around each jar and unless you get arctic low temps for a very long time, you should be fine. 

If you loose a jar or two anyway, write it off as collateral, as a payment for not using power to keep the shed temps above 0°. :)

The things we do! I did the same thing in that shed with all my plants when we had a freeze for a few nights then put them on hydroponic life support afterwards and that's how they now sit! Straight ripped out of the ground and into totes and 5gal buckets.. Gotta ripen them green pods since the weather is still permitting. But yeah I live in a trailer where space is at a premium so that's why I ask..
salsalady said:
Priorities... [emoji38]

We put a space heater in a greenhouse full of about 30 pepper plants trying to keep them going long enough for all the green pods to ripen. Had it going full blast for at least a month, november-ish. [emoji4]
4d2fb092f2e3e14df3937c6e09ab007a.jpg
d6f9dc78bcc9169423040fbfb8f3d198.jpg
a160e809a4ce7d1301986f6f2dad1964.jpg
74c742c6f13ea50858a45c35c93d75f7.jpg

fb47fbec1b13c3eda868b4167cedb9c3.jpg
d2ce508b49490df7c9aebcadf6ad4bd1.jpg

This was a very thorough and great explanation! Thank you! And salsalady u crack me up! Lol! So aside from the containers cracking and all that permitting I have safe containers-does a repeated freeze thaw cycle degrade the contents? I'm looking at the worst lows of 20s for a few days where the heater tip may come in handy.. I live in middle east Tennessee so it doesn't get too cold compared to what and where I'm used to living my whole life (N Illinois).
MikeUSMC said:
Like salsalady said, it really depends on which jars you buy. Ball/Kerr have recently (in the past few years) started making freezer safe jars. There are probably other brands that do too. Most important thing is that they're tempered glass, and that the jars are "straight walled/sided" (jars that don't have a "shoulder/neck"). Ball's 'wide mouth' pint jars will work fine, but NOT the 'regular mouth' ones. All of their half pint (freezer safe) jars should be fine since the neck doesn't taper in. You should leave about 3/4" headspace for expansion/contraction too. Woozy bottles and other tapered neck bottles are a big "no-no," and they'll definitely shatter

attachicon.gif
IMG_7527.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_7526.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_7525.JPG

Great summertime drink! [emoji38]

3 freezers huh? Now ya got me thinkin.. I've been dying for more storage space! I have a chest deep freeze and fridge/freezer combo inside but would love another or larger one! What style of freezers do you have? Inside or outside? How much dinero $$?
MikeUSMC said:

attachicon.gif
IMG_7527.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_7526.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_7525.JPG

Great summertime drink! [emoji38]

The shed looks insulated, so if you are in a place where it is not below freezing for weeks on end, simply having an electric bulb on in the shed could be enough to keep the goods from freezing and cracking.  An old style incandescent bulb which will give off some heat, not one of those new-fangled LED bulbs... 

I have sometimes left a case of hot sauce in an unheated garage over winter, which is 1-15F (10-30 degrees below freezing) for several weeks.  Usually 1-2 bottles will freeze and break.  the rest will survive but be damaged from the leaking sauce from the broken bottles.

YAMracer754 said:
3 freezers huh? What style of freezers do you have? Inside or outside?
I have the 'regular' fridge/freezer combo in my kitchen, an older fridge/freezer combo out in my garage (from a kitchen remodel), and a chest freezer out in the garage too (from before we got the 2nd fridge)

Hmm I have a new fridge to put inside may do the same thing and put fridge/freezer combo in the shed! Only bad thing about the chest freezer is I'm constantly dealing with icing on the edge where it seals and it gets severe-crappy thing is every time I open it is what seems to cause it.. If I leave it closed its not bad :-/

Leaky seals, maybe? Try cleaning the seals, after you clean the seals and the surface where the seal meet the frame. Shut the doors with a dollar bill between the seal and frame , then try to pull out the bill, if it pulls easy or falls out, maybe replace the seals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's highly possible (the seals) it's a haier older one I wonder If I can still source those..I wouldn't wanna spend much it's a POS and not worth much, maybe Craigslist or fb deal? Wonder how cheap another one is.. Sucks because I hesitated storing large amounts of peppers because of it (altho I still did) since they probably thaw quickly and by the time I warm it up enough to chip the ice every time they'd be half thawed I'm afraid.. Check this:
PtMD989 said:
Leaky seals, maybe? Try cleaning the seals, after you clean the seals and the surface where the seal meet the frame. Shut the doors with a dollar bill between the seal and frame , then try to pull out the bill, if it pulls easy or falls out, maybe replace the seals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And thats how it gets.. When I open it multiple times over the course. When deiced it sits flat..
0a55204b2608fe5cf2e1ab5b75bcb0af.jpg
b00ac3d3f9c7b56ec51d81559b4c87cc.jpg

Back