• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Looking for a pineapple and melon recipe

fresh or cooked? 

I've never cooked with melons, I'd think they would be really watery.  Might work?  They and the pineapple and jalapeno would be great in a fresh chilled salsa with cilantro, lime, bit of purple onion.....

salsalady said:
fresh or cooked? 

I've never cooked with melons, I'd think they would be really watery.  Might work?  They and the pineapple and jalapeno would be great in a fresh chilled salsa with cilantro, lime, bit of purple onion.....
Thing is id really like to bottle it and store it.?

Walchit said:
Do you have a ph meter? Cheap ones on Amazon are 10 bucks.

Then you could get it down to a safe ph for bottles
yes i do. So you suggest making a salsa and using vinegar to bring ph down?

I've used pineapple in hot sauce before and it works well.  If I were going to add melon I'd go the cantaloupe route since the pale green flesh of the honeydew wouldn't match as well to the eye.

Also would use red ripe jalas if I had them to pair with the pineapple & cantaloupe - or go honeydew with green jalas and omit the pineapple?

Other potential add ins:

Roasted garlic - roasting brings out its sweetness but it's still savory and will help balance the flavor profile.

Cane or white wine vinegar - in addition to the limes it will help bring up the acidity and bring down the pH which will enable you to bottle & store.

Sweet onion like Vidalia or Walla Walla - helps bulk up the sauce while adding some sweet/savory notes.

Brainstorming I'd probably try around 2 cups vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 head of garlic, 1 onion, 1-2lbs jalas, 2 tsp of salt, 1/2 a pineapple and 1/2 a melon.  I'd cook them all together in a big pot, covered over medium heat for an hour or more to make sure everything is broken down really well.  Then I'd stick blend everything really well, put it through a food mill and then into another pot & bring it back to just a simmer.  Then I'd start sampling and adding the lime juice, more salt and/or honey to bring the balance. 

cantaloupe
carrot
vinegar
chipotle peppers
honey
onion
coriander
lime
brown sugar
(add superhots for heat)

pineapple
honey dew
vinegar
superhots (scorpions?)
jamaican curry powder
vinegar
onion
roasted garlic
turbinado sugar
dry mustard

SmokenFire said:
I've used pineapple in hot sauce before and it works well.  If I were going to add melon I'd go the cantaloupe route since the pale green flesh of the honeydew wouldn't match as well to the eye.

Also would use red ripe jalas if I had them to pair with the pineapple & cantaloupe - or go honeydew with green jalas and omit the pineapple?

Other potential add ins:

Roasted garlic - roasting brings out its sweetness but it's still savory and will help balance the flavor profile.

Cane or white wine vinegar - in addition to the limes it will help bring up the acidity and bring down the pH which will enable you to bottle & store.

Sweet onion like Vidalia or Walla Walla - helps bulk up the sauce while adding some sweet/savory notes.

Brainstorming I'd probably try around 2 cups vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 head of garlic, 1 onion, 1-2lbs jalas, 2 tsp of salt, 1/2 a pineapple and 1/2 a melon.  I'd cook them all together in a big pot, covered over medium heat for an hour or more to make sure everything is broken down really well.  Then I'd stick blend everything really well, put it through a food mill and then into another pot & bring it back to just a simmer.  Then I'd start sampling and adding the lime juice, more salt and/or honey to bring the balance. 

Thank you a bunch you chilli head you!!  I'll be giving you a  free bottle of this sauce !! Any ideas on colour? Would love it if it was lime /slime neon green.

Hot Clint said:
Any ideas on colour? Would love it if it was lime /slime neon green.

the pineapple/cantaloupe/ripe jalas would end up orange like a pumpkin I suppose.  Green jalas and honeydew would come out pretty green though.  :)

As you are tinkering at home your first concern should be flavor not color. Get your recipe tasting right. If you focus on color it may throw it off. If you decide to go pro there are ways to preserves color with antioxidants etc. so you are able to keep your recipe intact.

That meter should be fine for measuring pH when a sauce is cold, but not hot, it does not have temperature compensation.

On a meter pH decreases with heat so that meter will give a false reading, you really need one with "temperature compensation" for an accurate pH reading across the temperature spectrum. 

I would say just get the correct meter, this one is probably the best budget meter with TC. https://hannainst.com/hi98107-phep-ph-tester.html

"This accurate pH tester features 0.1 resolution with automatic two-point calibration and temperature compensation in a single, portable, pocket device."

Whatever the ideal temperature is for an accurate pH reading, this meter will compensate at other temps. So you can measure a hot sauce, cold sauce, warm sauce, etc.

The ideal range to measure pH is 10C to 50C, or 50F to 122F but it will still vary within that range.

If you are measuring room temp you should be fine with that meter. Out of that range, you'd need temp compensation (linked meter). I would suggest that anyway, especially needed if your sauce is close to the cutoff.

Back