• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is your favourite medium pepper??

When I've been making my list of hot peppers to grow, I know what kind of mega hots I want, and I will grow a lot of jalapeno, and not so hot peppers, but I could need some help to think when it comes to the ones with medium heat, what is your favourite and why?? since I have many super hots on my list, and a lot of not so hots and a limited spece, I need maybe five medium hots that produces a lot of pods.

Depends on what you like, but my favorite "medium" peppers would probably be Jamaican Hot Chocolate and Saraga Scotch Bonnet. Both lack that overwhelming floral taste that dominates most chinense varieties. Its there, but it is not overpowering. Saraga is very sweet and fruity. They are both on my list for next year.

CMJ said:
Depends on what you like, but my favorite "medium" peppers would probably be Jamaican Hot Chocolate and Saraga Scotch Bonnet. Both lack that overwhelming floral taste that dominates most chinense varieties. Its there, but it is not overpowering. Saraga is very sweet and fruity. They are both on my list for next year.

Ate a fresh Saraga today and saved seeds from it. I can see why it's a favorite.

Ashen said:
It is funny that goats, habs and bonnets are now defined as medium peppers. I wonder if in 20 yrs we will be calling ghosts and reapers medium peppers.

Well I guess its how you define medium. 
If you define strength by Scoville; Then habs and bonnets are close to a mean, between say a jalapeño and a superhot. So say the Scoville increase is linear, then you are properly right in 20years  :onfire:

Mildfruit said:

Well I guess its how you define medium. 
If you define strength by Scoville; Then habs and bonnets are close to a mean, between say a jalapeño and a superhot. So say the Scoville increase is linear, then you are properly right in 20years  :onfire:
By that logic ghosts are medium. A geometric mean would be much better

Beni Highlands and Aji Arnaucho are both great mid heat peppers that are much milder than a standard orange hab. Very very productive and easy to grow too. Several baccatums fit that bill as well. Next year im trying sugar rush peach.

To me HOT starts at orange hab or slightly less.

I grew Beni Highlands this year, i thought they were good but kinda forgettable. But, friends and family went apeshit over them. Very popular with everyone who enjoys that heat level, which is less than Hab but considerable. Definitely something I'd call "upper-medium," i think.

But if we're talking stuff in the 250k+/- shu level? (To me, i call that "hot...") You can't go wrong with a good yellow Scotch Bonnet. Every other chile i grow in that range, even if i really like them, i never enjoy them as much as good yellow bonnets. (My faves right now are the Beth Boyd (aka Foodarama) and my top SB,the TFM.) I have yet to have a shitty yellow Bonnet, though.

Back