30 replies to this topic

#21 Ruid

Ruid

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:50 AM

It is funny that goats, habs and bonnets are now defined as medium peppers. I wonder if in 20 yrs we will be calling ghosts and reapers medium peppers.

Surely there's a limit to how capsaicin can be in a pepper. I HOPE it's impossible to have 4M scoville peppers...

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:54 AM

Chileplants.com Beni Highlands plants were spot on IMO. Im pretty sure they also sell seeds. I may have some from my plants from last year.

#23 Chewi

Chewi

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • aka:Ilikebeer, grillmaster

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:11 AM

Beni Highlands which is way underrated IMO

Beni Highlands and Aji Arnaucho are both great mid heat peppers that are much milder than a standard orange hab. Very very productive and easy to grow too. Several baccatums fit that bill as well. Next year im trying sugar rush peach.

To me HOT starts at orange hab or slightly less.

Who's got the best Beni highlands seeds?

HA I was remembering Beaglestorm's review of Beni Highlands. Wish that dude would poke his head around here every once in a while.

#24 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:32 AM

I would guess my Beni Highlands ran as low as 30K SHU for early pods and probably all were 60-80K or less. Hint of citrus and not very floral. Aji Arnaucho were a bit milder on average but they have several ripening stages with slightly different flavors. The Beni kinda sucked unless completely ripe but they ripen fast. Both produced quite a few pods over the whole season and even tolerated cooler temps at the end fairly well. Both also tolerated our summer heat really well. Flower loss was very minimal.

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 07 November 2018 - 11:34 AM.

#25 FloridaCracker

FloridaCracker

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:35 PM

Datil peppers and its not even close. Datils have a very strong and unique flavor and are more pungent than anything Ive grown (and Ive grown pretty much every major variety)

#26 Dr. Weird

Dr. Weird

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:19 AM

Datil peppers and its not even close. Datils have a very strong and unique flavor and are more pungent than anything Ive grown (and Ive grown pretty much every major variety)

Thanks for your opinion.... i will be adding these to my next shopping list.

I don't have much experience growing hot peppers and i don't handle super hot or even medium hot very well but i know some asian people that claim they love super hot peppers.

I have some Ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers for my super hot and  4 types of Habaneros for a medium hot (super hot for me) selection.

#27 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 47,103 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

Jamaican hot chocolate!!!! It makes a surreal powder, I just love it. The heat is about medium...

#28 FloridaCracker

FloridaCracker

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for your opinion.... i will be adding these to my next shopping list.

I don't have much experience growing hot peppers and i don't handle super hot or even medium hot very well but i know some asian people that claim they love super hot peppers.
I have some Ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers for my super hot and  4 types of Habaneros for a medium hot (super hot for me) selection.

I would be happy to send you some seeds at no charge. Ive been growing heirloom datils here in Florida for many years

#29 The_NorthEast_ChileMan

The_NorthEast_ChileMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • aka:NECM

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:12 AM

Jamaican hot chocolate!!!! It makes a surreal powder, I just love it. The heat is about medium...

I'll 2nd that!

tZ0QkgU.jpg

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

#30 Dr. Weird

Dr. Weird

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:54 AM

I would be happy to send you some seeds at no charge. Ive been growing heirloom datils here in Florida for many years

Thank you for the generous offer, friend :)

I will decline just at the moment but maybe at a later date if the offer is still open.  :thumbsup:

I'm going to add the Jamaican Hot Chocolate to my list as well, as 2 of you folks have both recommended it.

I have had major depressive disorder for many years, with plenty of other 'features' to go along with it.... it is complete hell.

However, my growing love of having a productive food garden and diving down the rabbit hole of different heirlooms/cultivars, breeding, photography etc. etc. gives me a nice escape and is becoming somewhat of a passion.

PEACE.

Edited by Dr. Weird, 12 November 2018 - 04:06 AM.

#31 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:51 PM

If you enjoy growing for growing's same, then definitely grow those JHCs. I'm not a big fan of brown/choco chiles, but one of my best growing/producing plants my first year was a JHC. I didn't grow them this year, and I missed having them around.(and like others mentioned above, I understand they make great powder, even for folks who don't dig'm fresh...)

Good luck growing

Edited by Bicycle808, 17 November 2018 - 06:23 PM.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests