• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Crab apple and chilli jam/jelly

This turned out very popular locally and I'm now out of crab apples.
Difficult to give weights or measures and chilli it up to taste. Sometimes less more.
Simply put it's like this.
Cider vinegar
Crab apples
Preserving sugar(white).
I used Orange Habanero chilli fresh. Fruity taste.
All in but not the sugar and simmer down for a couple of hours.
By then it should be a nice red/pink.
Pass through muslin/nylon filter bag. May take over night to drip through.
Back to low heat and add sugar to taste.
Again simmer down to jam consistency.
Bring to rolling boil and do the cold plate test.
You should end up with a clear red jam that has a kick.
Great with cheese, roasts, cold meats, sandwiches and imagination.

Scorchio said:
This turned out very popular locally and I'm now out of crab apples.
Difficult to give weights or measures and chilli it up to taste. Sometimes less more.
Simply put it's like this.
Cider vinegar
Crab apples
Preserving sugar(white).
I used Orange Habanero chilli fresh. Fruity taste.
All in but not the sugar and simmer down for a couple of hours.
By then it should be a nice red/pink.
Pass through muslin/nylon filter bag. May take over night to drip through.
Back to low heat and add sugar to taste.
Again simmer down to jam consistency.
Bring to rolling boil and do the cold plate test.
You should end up with a clear red jam that has a kick.
Great with cheese, roasts, cold meats, sandwiches and imagination.

I'm curious.....were the crabapples tart or sweet? 

I've a crabapple tree my Dad started from a sucker of my maternal grandmother's tree and I never realized it was sweet until three years ago.  There was a bumper crop of apples that year and, for some reason the deer weren't eating them all, so I picked, quartered and cored what I wanted and made a tasty infused crabapple vodka for Christmas gifts.

nmlarson said:

I'm curious.....were the crabapples tart or sweet? 

I've a crabapple tree my Dad started from a sucker of my maternal grandmother's tree and I never realized it was sweet until three years ago.  There was a bumper crop of apples that year and, for some reason the deer weren't eating them all, so I picked, quartered and cored what I wanted and made a tasty infused crabapple vodka for Christmas gifts.
Hey, very tart/bitter and hard. I did not think they could be used for anything at all. But I Googled as we do these days and found that simple recipe.
From what I read, the crabapples are only there to add enough Pectin to set the jam. But they turn the jam a lovely red colour and give a nice fruity flavour.
Takes a lot of sugar to counter the acidity.
I was asked today to make lots next year and the local Pub will sell them and proceeds will go towards Air Ambulance charity. We have a friend that does hog roasts for events and she wants to put it out there.
Time consuming though. Can take me 2 days adding things to get it how I think it should be.
A little lemon or lime juice, soy sauce perhaps? Jack Daniels....it goes on lol.

Scorchio said:
Hey, very tart/bitter and hard. I did not think they could be used for anything at all. But I Googled as we do these days and found that simple recipe.
From what I read, the crabapples are only there to add enough Pectin to set the jam. But they turn the jam a lovely red colour and give a nice fruity flavour.
Takes a lot of sugar to counter the acidity.
I was asked today to make lots next year and the local Pub will sell them and proceeds will go towards Air Ambulance charity. We have a friend that does hog roasts for events and she wants to put it out there.
Time consuming though. Can take me 2 days adding things to get it how I think it should be.
A little lemon or lime juice, soy sauce perhaps? Jack Daniels....it goes on lol.
I should say that as the crab apples are finished, I have substituted Spanish tomatoes,cooking apples and lime juice.
In middle of first batch right now. I find it mellows if left over night.
It will not be a clear ruby colour but it is tasting pretty good right now.

Back