• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why are my peppers turning black/purple

Hi,

I am growing 2 ghost pepper plants which did really well.
I got good production out of them and beautiful red pods.

Temperatures dropped here to low 40s (day temperatures are in upper 60s) and I am still saving the plants (using covers at night) because I still have good number of pods on them.
I noticed that the pods are having black/purple lines on them and they are not ripening.

Is there any issue or is it because of the temperature conditions?
How can I get these to ripen?

Please help.

20181031_102709.jpg
20181031_102842.jpg
20181031_102740.jpg

The dark coloration is basically a suntan, Its perfectly normal. Most likely, you have had some leaf drop due to the cooler temperatures, which has given your peppers more exposure to the sunlight. Also the cooler temperatures can drastically slow ripening.

CMJ said:
The dark coloration is basically a suntan, Its perfectly normal. Most likely, you have had some leaf drop due to the cooler temperatures, which has given your peppers more exposure to the sunlight. Also the cooler temperatures can drastically slow ripening.
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

ShowMeDaSauce said:
My ghost did it too. Nothing to worry about. Good luck on the ripening though. Mine hated cooler temps. One of the first plants to drop its leaves.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Back