• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bacteria?

Hi, my glog is in the glog section for a setup view. It's my second year doing an indoor grow (can't grow outdoors) and this year I was hoping to avoid aphids..

..well, my two aji plants share a tent; they come from different providers, the mango and the pineapple. The mango has started producing fruit and has at least 12 going now and is looking good overall unless you get close up and personal with a headlamp. Seems the harder you look the more wrong the world looks eh? Or that might just be my fears talking. The spots aren't all over the plant, they're in individual locations right now.

See photos. The leaves have never been "splashed with wet soil", they've not been rained upon either. The pineapple plant isn't showing these spots (yet).

The seeds weren't soaked in anything antibacterial (as I wasn't aware of this phenomenon when they were germinating)

The options appear to be:

A. Keep going as is and get what fruits can be had from both aji plants since bacteria fruit aren't inedible (I think?)

B. Slay the aji mango, keep a keen eye on the pineapple and visit upon it the same kind of vengeance if it twitches

C. Torch the tent

Attachments

• DSC04943.jpg
    DSC04943.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC04944.jpg
    DSC04944.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC04945.jpg
    DSC04945.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 44

Attachments

• DSC04948.jpg
    DSC04948.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC04949.jpg
    DSC04949.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC04950.jpg
    DSC04950.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 47
Looks like that's possible. Some are non interveinal and have the tan center/dark border look,  Even if so, prospects to control it through a harvest and eradicate afterwards with a solid bleaching it could be decent. You have a multiple tents, a lower humidity environment, and not a large grow to risk spreading it too.  Perhaps you could remove a few infected leaves and be mindful of contamination through handling and tools. Just thoughts.  I haven't been presented with this on indoor peppers before.

Decent article specific to peppers with good ID pictures.  https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/bacterial-leaf-spot-pepper-vegetables

Thanks. I'll try to remove spotted leaves and not let any linger on the substrate and then be careful when handling, though on closer inspection I found two leaves on the pineapple with the same spots. At any rate I'll keep going until it gets as bad as in that article you linked to. Even if / when it spreads to the fruits, those are still edible I suppose.

Edit. I don't suppose, your article clearly states as much. 

Well, hoorah for the HPS at any rate, you watt-slurping desert sun you :)

Edit2. It slightly resembles potassium deficiency: https://www.yara.co.uk/crop-nutrition/sweet-pepper/nutrient-deficiencies---pepper/potassium-deficiency---pepper/ but I'm more inclined to believe it's bacteria especially since the mango is stretching its legs.

Back