• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Pizza! From "the bread bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum

I broke diet today, because I had to have some pizza!  When the Boss asked for pizza recipes, this is the dough I posted,
HERE:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69844-need-pizza-dough-recipe/?p=1585101
The cookbook spends pages on the recipe, but once you've read through and made it once, it's a breeze from then on.

The variety I chose to make tonight is called an Alsatian Pizza.  It looks very plain, but the flavors are kick ass!  Caramelized onion, oil cured black olives, fresh thyme and Gruyere cheese.

Make your dough.  I have to admit, I can be a bit obsessive/compulsive when I cook, especially when it comes to pizza crust.  So, out come the scales.  Mix it up, place it in a largish measuring cup, cover and let it rest for 30 minutes or so, then toss it in the fridge until you're ready to rock and roll.

20181104_094606.jpg

Get your dough ingredients together and mix until just barely combined.  Don't overmix, or you'll end up with a tough dough.  Don't worry if it looks like a shaggy mess.  It will come together.

20181104_095736.jpg

Transfer to your oiled measuring cup, cover, let rest, then stash it in the fridge until about 1-1/2 hours before you want to cook.

20181104_095957.jpg

When you're ready to begin cooking, pull your dough out of the fridge, let rest a few minutes, gently remove it from its container, use some of the remaining oil to grease an inverted sheet pan, then place the dough on the pan and form it into your pie,  Beginning in the center, use your fingertips to work the dough into a 10" circle.  Leave a bit of a heavier crust at the edge.

20181104_163042.jpg

This pie was going to have caramelized onion and black olives, so the onions are set to caramelize.  I like Rose Levy Beranbaum's technique for caramelized onions, because it's mostly hands-off, until the last 5 minutes or so.

20181104_163252.jpg

Yum!  Dinner's ready!  The pie was cooked for 5 minutes on an inverted sheet pan on the floor of the oven.  The pan was pulled, the pie dressed with Gruyere, caramelized onion, and black olives, then finished on a Big Green Egg baking stone that lives on the floor of my oven.

20181104_182529.jpg

Just look at that structure!  Those bubbles mean flavor!

20181104_182716.jpg

I gotta say, this crust recipe is killer!  It has terrific flavor, is crispy and chewy at the same time, and will hold up to any topping you throw at it.

Back