27 replies to this topic

#1 Ruid

Ruid

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:13 PM

I just tried an Aji Fantasy. Very photogenic and beautiful pepper but I didn't like the taste. It smelled and tasted too much like a bell pepper.

What are some sweet peppers that aren't reminiscent of bells?

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:31 PM

The Brazilian Starfish i had this year were super sweet and if you stayed away from the seeds they dont have much heat. Bishops Crown are popular too and i think they are milder?

#3 rghm1u20

rghm1u20

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:48 PM

No heat habanero.

John 14:6 / Hebrews 11:1

#4 Ruid

Ruid

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:57 PM

I'll soon be picking up a box with a couple of Bishop's Crowns. I'll report back what I think of those.

#5 austin87

austin87

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

Aji dulce or aji jobito

#6 cone9

cone9

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:26 PM

I love Corbaci Sweets (but they are annuums).  Come to think of it, I should grow them again this year.

So many peppers, so little time!             GO  BUCKEYES !            Anymore, it seems the only thing I get done quickly is get older

New goal in life:   I hope I get grandchildren before I get a walker

#7 MarcV

MarcV

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:55 AM

- Piquillo de Lodosa

- Stavros

- Tap De Corti

These are all no heat annuums that don't taste like bell peppers.

...but I might be wrong...

#8 karoo

karoo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:19 AM

Sugar rush peach.

" I wish I was as young as the first time I said, " I'm getting to old for this sh!t." "

#9 nmlarson

nmlarson

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

NuMex Sauve Orange.  Habanero type.

20180818_104849.jpg

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.        Robert Heinlein

#10 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:49 AM

Next year im trying Bolsa de Dulce. They are supposed to be sweet and about jalapeno hot.

#11 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,519 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:57 AM

I like the Tinker Bell peppers, prolific, sweet and great taste, their about 2-3". Sweet Heat Peppersare another ones I like, no spice that I recall.

#12 kentishman

kentishman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:30 AM

Crunch Sweet Orange
Ashe County Pimiento

#13 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:50 PM

On addition to the other excellent suggestions above:
Cream Fataliis.
Habanadas.
NuMex Trick Or Treat.
Ecuador Sweet.
Frontera Sweet.
Puerto Rican No-Heat.

I've grown all of those, plus both the Red and Orange NuMex Suaves. Fronteras tasted best, I think. Had some heat, not much. Had Bonnet-ish tones in the flavor profile.

Trick Or Treats had almost no heat; looked like and tasted like Orange Habs. Super-productive. I'd love to grow them again.

The Nadas were productive. Tasted like no-heat Habs, as they were meant to, but the pods are to attenuated and pointy. I grew them instead of Trick Or Treats this year; I prefer the Trick Or Treat BC e PS stay firth and fresh longer. I found you wanna eat the Nadas by the next day.

My wife loves the Cream Fataliis. I like them plenty. Not sure why they call then Fataliis though. Look different, taste different, very very little heat.

I grew Bishops Crowns this year. Great plant; took a while but if produced a shit ton of unique and tasty pods. Definitely a touch hotter than the other varieties discussed here so far, but still on the mild side. This one BC plant was my first and only baccatum; definitely want to grow note in future years. I am sure there are plenty of low-heat baccatums available.

Hth

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#14 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:50 PM

In addition to the other excellent suggestions above:
Cream Fataliis.
Habanadas.
NuMex Trick Or Treat.
Ecuador Sweet.
Frontera Sweet.
Puerto Rican No-Heat.

I've grown all of those, plus both the Red and Orange NuMex Suaves. Fronteras tasted best, I think. Had some heat, not much. Had Bonnet-ish tones in the flavor profile.

Trick Or Treats had almost no heat; looked like and tasted like Orange Habs. Super-productive. I'd love to grow them again.

The Nadas were productive. Tasted like no-heat Habs, as they were meant to, but the pods are to attenuated and pointy. I grew them instead of Trick Or Treats this year; I prefer the Trick Or Treat BC the Pods stay firm and fresh longer. I found you wanna eat the Nadas by the next day.

My wife loves the Cream Fataliis. I like them plenty. Not sure why they call them first Fataliis though. Look different, taste different, very very little heat.

I grew Bishops Crowns this year. Great plant; took a while but if produced a shit ton of unique and tasty pods. Definitely a touch hotter than the other varieties discussed here so far, but still on the mild side. This one Bishop Crown plant was my first and only baccatum; definitely want to grow more in future years. I am sure there are plenty of low-heat baccatums available.

Hth

Edited by Bicycle808, 14 November 2018 - 05:52 PM.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#15 SpeakPolish

SpeakPolish

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:17 PM

I find store bought sweet peppers bitter, would they be worth growing next year? I plan on growing the bishops crown but I might add some stuff.

#16 CaneDog

CaneDog

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:13 PM

I grew Bishops Crowns this year. Great plant; took a while but if produced a shit ton of unique and tasty pods. Definitely a touch hotter than the other varieties discussed here so far, but still on the mild side.

My Bishop's Crown were huge, productive and just super tasty this year - and also very late ripening - but had absolutely zero perceptible heat to me. The Starfish growing next to them had some heat, but minimal flavor.

Was thinking if they happened to cross, and some of those seeds took root...

#17 nmlarson

nmlarson

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:19 PM

Fronteras tasted best, I think. Had some heat, not much. Had Bonnet-ish tones in the flavor profile.

Hth[/quote]

Tell me more!

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.        Robert Heinlein

#18 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:56 PM

Not much to tell. Yellow low heat chinense. Got the seeds from Semillas 2 years back. As of last year, Duffy started carrying them, too, at twice the price. They ain't ubiquitous, but you can definitely find them...

#19 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:14 AM

Peruvian aji dulce.

Absolutely no heat, great Chinense flavor, huge pods, and thick enough walls for stuffing😀

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170828_190847.jpg
  • 20170830_202124.jpg

#20 CaneDog

CaneDog

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:22 AM

Those look awesome.  I was about to call them "mini" stuffed peppers, but they're not really all that mini, are they?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests