• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds would these seeds be viable and worth planting?

i`ve only been growing for 2 years and both grows were with plants from big box stores. the only plants available here is Bonnieplants.  both years the plants did great and i got lots of nice pods. i saved seeds from this years pods. for next year. i want to start from seeds and i`ve got some seeds from members here that i will grow but i was thinking of growing some of my saved seeds. does anyone know if seeds from this source will be viable? any input is appreciated.  :cheers:

Sure, they are freshly harvested pepper seeds. They should germinate normally. You didn't mention which varieties they are, and I know that some of Bonnie's varieties, like the Dragon Cayenne and Spartacus Habanero, are hybrids or crosses that might not grow true. Bonnie wants people to keep buying their plants every year, after all. :) But in any case, the seeds should germinate just fine, and if they are not hybrid varieties they will likely grow true, I would think. 

BlackFatalii said:
Sure, they are freshly harvested pepper seeds. They should germinate normally. You didn't mention which varieties they are, and I know that some of Bonnie's varieties, like the Dragon Cayenne and Spartacus Habanero, are hybrids or crosses that might not grow true. Bonnie wants people to keep buying their plants every year, after all. :) But in any case, the seeds should germinate just fine, and if they are not hybrid varieties they will likely grow true, I would think. 
thats good to hear. someone told me that they manipulate the plants so that seeds would not grow and you would have to buy more of their plants the following year. i think the only hybrids i grew were mucho nacho jalapenos and maybe garden salsa. everything else was cowhorn, poblano, hungarian hot wax and plain jane jalapenos.

Hey, even the hybrids will grow something, just maybe not what the parent looked like.  Or maybe it will.  Some companies will claim plants are hybrids when they are not.  Also, some times the parents used to create the hybrids are so similar, that you may not notice any real difference in the F2 and beyond generations.  Maybe not quite as productive, as the hybrid was created just for the hybrid vigor.

Also, there are people out there who "de-hybrid" hybrid plants.  Think of them as the first step in a cross, and have fun growing them out to see what you get.

Mucho Nacho have been so good from seedlings ive bought that i dont care to take the chance on saved seeds. Its my personal favorite from the big name seed companies so i depend on it to produce exactly what i want.

I did save some Mucho Nacho seeds just to see if they would germinate. I dont remember the exact germination rate but they germinated and grew. Seems to me the rate was fine. My jala patch got some Fresno instead so i didnt grow them outside. Glad i did too because the Fresnos cranked out the pods and my 2 store bought Mucho Nacho seedlings got huge last season.

Back