• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting My first Habanero harvest

My first Habanero harvest!
The pot in the middle has put smaller pods, probably due to compost rich soil I added to when flowers were set, but the taste and aroma is something I experienced for the first time in my life. The pods pack nice heat with great flavour, now looking forward to ripening lemon drop.

You guys have been helpful a lot, thanks!
edd9d06d989a36c39280b9f287bfc7dd.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Nice! Taste and aroma are unique, love it or hate it. I love it. And I love the Lemon drop too. I hope you enjoy also.

A lot of ppl hating on Orange Habs, which is just silly... I love them, as does most the world. In any case, whatever variety of chile you're growing, the truly fresh homegrown pods will beat whatever you can buy at the market, every time. Your plants look great, as do those bright orange Habaneros!

Garden fresh jalapenos beat store ones but at least the store ones taste good too. Store orange habs are awful to me. I'll try one fresh from a garden but my expectations are low.

Ruid said:
Store orange habs are awful to me. I'll try one fresh from a garden but my expectations are low.

Haha. My first pepper plants were orange habs I grew from seeds I got out of store-bought peppers. They were good, but -- not surprisingly -- pretty much identical to the store pods.

Can't even get those where I live now, though, so whether I wanted to or not I've had to go with seeds from actual seed vendors.

Unfortunately none of the grocers where I live, Bangalore India, carry fresh hot peppers and only dried ghost pepper pod and powder is available.

I bought the Habanero seeds from a commercial seed company and they grew well. After seeing and tasting my habaneros, my friends who too are looking forward to grow their own hot peppers.

Any rough idea as how long I can keep the ripe pods on the plant without it losing turgidity?
I plan to pick all the pods after they have ripened, which I reckon will take around 4 to 5 days.

flash23 said:
Any rough idea as how long I can keep the ripe pods on the plant without it losing turgidity?
I plan to pick all the pods after they have ripened, which I reckon will take around 4 to 5 days.

I've left them on for up to a month.

Back