• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Any tips for oven as dehydrator?

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
re: for peppers

I have a 24" oven which means the chamber is relatively small. It is electric and has European convection (true convection) which has a rear fan with an element around it.

This made me think, wow, this oven is very similar to the look and operation of a large dehydrator!

I would like to try this as my dehydrator, but looking for any tips... thanks!

It should work IF..... The convection works at 170, I think that's the lowest an oven will work, at least that's what my gas oven does. That's how I dried out the pepper salt and it worked great. It won't take long either, maybe 2-3 hours before they start to darken on the edges.

Try to play with the temps and see how low it works.

The Hot Pepper said:
re: for peppers

I have a 24" oven which means the chamber is relatively small. It is electric and has European convection (true convection) which has a rear fan with an element around it.

This made me think, wow, this oven is very similar to the look and operation of a large dehydrator!

I would like to try this as my dehydrator, but looking for any tips... thanks!
I should work absolutely fine. Temp is the biggest issue. You need to be able to get it down to 160. I used the same thing(except gas not electric) for a couple years before getting a dehydrator.

Thanks for the tips.

I don't need an extra appliance around, and this oven just looks like it would work well. I'll give it a shot.

The oven is electric, the top is gas, it's called dual fuel... smart investment so far! Love cooking on gas, with electric baking. :cheers:

I have only ever used my oven to dehydrate peppers as I don't have a dehydrator. Given that it works so well I don't really have any future plans to get a dehydrator. 

Mine is an electric fan forced/convection oven, I set it to about 60c/140f and run it for as long as is needed. If you run it too hot your peppers will darken, so if you want to keep more of the original color,  run it cooler for longer. 

Brazilian Starfish. 
58oS9i4.jpg

This Cayenne mix was smoked first.
qrr0apG.jpg

I usually run it while I can attend to it, checking it, and stirring the peppers along the way. If needed, I'll shut it off and leave the door closed so as not to reintroduce moisture, then continue it when it suits.

Hope this helps,

SR.

I, also, have a true convection oven.  If you can set your temps low enough, yes, it works really well.  On mine, I have to jury-rig something to keep the open door latch from shutting off the fans.  Done easily enough with the right shape/density piece of wadded-up aluminum foil.

My oven has a convection feature and the temp can also be set down to 80 celcius. I have made two very large batches of beef jerky in it already. I prop the door open with a champagne cork. I've eaten a lot of beef jerky and this stuff was even better.

Back