Hello from Canada

Hello all,

I am excited to find these forums. I've been growing peppers on the Canadian prairies for a few years now and would like to up my game. 2018 was the first year I tried growing tomatoes and peppers from seed. Currently I have been using a variety of Cherry Bombs combined with the odd hungarian wax to make salsas. I also made some bonnet peppers for pickles. They have gone over quite well at the local church suppers. 

Our season is on the short side. We have about 100 frost free days but with the cold nights I've only been able to grow peppers with an 80-82 day days to maturity window. It is pretty clear we are down on heat degree units kind of like how you would grow corn. I can get a red scotch bonnet to ripen with about 2 days to spare if planted against a building. Here the nights are under 10C ten months out of the year which slows down the hotter varieties of peppers. 

That said I still got full fruit load on some orange habaneros, but had to take them in for ripening. I'd say they only get about 25% ripe colour on the plant. Next year I will try pots. I have decided to reduce the number of habs down as I save them for my Mother who makes an Apricot Habanero jelly. Outside of that we don't have enough recipes for the habs. 

So far I was able to successfully grow a white bhut jolokia with about 3 dozen fruit on it in a pot. I have it next to a metal wall so it can soak up residual heat. So right now I am looking for peppers that mature in the same period as the white naga. Maybe a Viper?

From everything I've read, trying a 7 pot might be pushing my luck but maybe a cross? I also want to try a leutschauer paprika variety and grind my paprika. Anyone tried this? 

At some point I also want to try crossing pepper varieties but haven't worked up the nerve to try it, yet!

Just throwing out ideas here, so if you know how to grow in the colder areas let me know. Thanks.

Collin

Back