• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Thanksgiving Brainstorm 2018

I never use recipes, and I usually like to whip up stuff on the fly, so I figured we could all brainstorm some ideas here...

One of the sides I want to do is some kind of sweet potato (candied yams) with maple and curry... was thinking whipped but I always do a mashed potato with roasted garlic and sharp white cheddar that is bangin! I put broken up crispy onion stings sometimes... so thinking for the sweet potato not mashed, maybe cubed and candied, but love the skins... hmmm maybe baked whole then sliced into medallions and then candy them with butter, brown sugar, maple, curry/pepper powder, sea salt... 

What you guys got?

I do something similar because I really never cared for mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows.
Yams cut into 1 inch pieces, I leave the skin on
Cipollini onions
2 large red peppers
2-3 poblanos
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 head garlic peeled separated in whole cloves
Dried thyme and herbs of your choice
Curry powder
Chilli powder
Allspice
Salt
Black pepper

Add all ingredients into a large bowl mix well and allow to marinade for a bit keep at room temp

Line a sheet pan with foil
Add a thin layer of oil to the tray and pop the empty oiled tray into a preheated 400 degree oven
Once sizzling about 10minutes add the bowl of yam, onions and garlic, working quickly spread into single layer
Return to oven cook for 20 minutes
Flip and mix the mixture after 20 minutes
Cook for another 20 until browned and almost fork tender
Add brown sugar (or maple syrup)
Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes
Mix again and serve

Sweet! I'm glad I started this, I have some 15 year real balsamic! Thanks!!!

This post was for everyone tho, so chime in on your own stuff everyone!

Its just mrs. blues.

Trouble.

And me.

Its just another day for us.

Sort of.

Having said that.

I wouldn't mind trying.

Again.

To f**k up a duck.

In some way.

Its tradition.

mrs. blues.

She likes to make breakfast.

On that day.

Bacon.

Eggs.

Queso.

Potato's.

I get to have Bailey's in my coffee.

We eat like royalty.

Then she falls asleep on the couch.

And as per tradition.

I stay awake.

And clean the kitchen.

But this year.

Trouble.

There is no sleeping on the couch.

Unless its her.

Or her chew toys.

I might as well cook a duck.

While a pissed off wife tries to take a nap.

And retreats to the bedroom and slams the door.

Because.

Trouble.

And I make too much noise.

Washing the dishes.

And cleaning the kitchen.

Thanksgiving drama.

There's just the three of us.

And me.

f**king up a duck.

Because.

Tradition.

CORNBREAD PUDDING

1 box jiffy cornbread mix

2 eggs

8 oz sour cream

1 stick butter

1 can cream corn

1 can regular corn(drained)

I think we use an 8"square foil pan for this

Bake at 350 for 40-45, thank me later

Edited because my wife found her recipe and a couple things were wrong
2 eggs and only 40-45 mins

Love doing Sweet Potato deep fried like fries, best way to eat them I find. The suger in them caramelizes the outside so well.

Yams, eh...

I would boil and mash the yams, then make a stuffing comprised of minced candied bacon, madras curry, maple syrup, hard boiled eggs, and spicy chorizo. I would then wrap the mashed yams around the stuffing, reforming potato shapes...like papas rellenas. The reformed potatoes would then be deep fried til crispy, then drizzled with a freshly made chancaca syrup

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Yams, eh...

I would boil and mash the yams, then make a stuffing comprised of minced candied bacon, madras curry, maple syrup, hard boiled eggs, and spicy chorizo. I would then wrap the mashed yams around the stuffing, reforming potato shapes...like papas rellenas. The reformed potatoes would then be deep fried til crispy, then drizzled with a freshly made chancaca syrup

What??!!!!! That sounds crazy.

The Hot Pepper said:

What??!!!!! That sounds crazy.
It may be difficult to visualize, but imagine a papa rellena with yams, instead of potatoes, and above mentioned stuffing, soaked in a sweet chancaca sauce, like these picarones. Epic flavor and presentation for any open minded Thanksgiving table.

Not my pics, BTW, just using them to aid the inagination.

Attachments

• psps-rellena.jpg
    psps-rellena.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 427.jpg
    427.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 66
Good topic!

Cane River pecans just came out with a Boudin pie but it's not on the website yet, they will start mail order soon, you have to check this out. I'll be eating one soon.Here's video from the news
https://www.klfy.com/acadiana-eats/acadiana-eats-holiday-edition/1599742216

Here's a few I have in my recipe files. Everyone loves these and will make you a hero!!

[SIZE=12pt]BILLIE ROSE BAHAM'S SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH PECANS

3 CUPS SWEET POTATOES, COOKED AND MASHED (CAN USE 2 CANS OF 29 OZ WHICH EQUALS 4 CUPS
1/2 CUP MELTED BUTTER
1 CUP SUGAR
1/2 TSP SALT
1 TSP VANILLA FLAVORING
1/2 CUP MILK
2 BEATEN EGGS
PECANS FOR TOPPINGS - (TO BE USED LATER)

BLEND ALL INGREDIENTS ABOVE EXCEPT TOPPINGS. POUR INTO CASSEROLE DISH. SET ASIDE

TOPPING:
( I DOUBLED THE INGREDIENTS FOR TOPPING. I LIST THE EXACT DOUBLED AMOUNT I PUT IN)

2 CUPS BROWN SUGAR, PACKED
2/3 CUP FLOUR
2 CUPS PECANS, CHOPPED
2/3 CUP MELTED BUTTER

MIX WELL WITH HANDS: SPRINKLE OVER POTATOES. BAKE AT 350[/SIZE][SIZE=13pt]° [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] FOR 35 MINUTES, UNCOVERED. I ACTUALLY BAKE FOR 45 MINUTES TO HAVE A MORE PRALINE LIKE TOPPING.[/SIZE]

Sweet potato crunk crack.jpg

Here's a sweet dough recipe you can use for any filling, same thing that was in the video. Add what you like but you have to cook the filling first. We can buy these in stores here commercially made.

Sweet dough pies.jpg

You might also like some old school rolls

[SIZE=12pt]Hot Rolls (from school food service 1968--1990)[/SIZE]

school rolls.png

Recipe for Hot Rolls (from school food service 1968--1990)
2 Cups warm water
2 pkg.dry yeast-----61/2 cups All Purpose white flour 
1 tsp. salt--------------1/2 cup melted shortening or oil
1/2 cup white sugar----2 eggs
Dissolve 2 pkg.s yeast in 2 cups warm water(in mixing bowl) Let stand until yeast dissolves. Add 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp. salt. Beat w/mixer for 2 minutes. Add melted shortening and 2 eggs. Beat 2 minutes. Slowly add 41/2 cups flour and mix well. Let rise in warm place undisturbed til double in size. Punch down and make into rolls. Let rolls rise about 1 hour in warm spot undisturbed. Bake for about 30 minutes (or until golden brown) in 350* oven. Gently rub tops with butter!

And since you have the oven fired up you should make a pecan pie too.

[SIZE=16pt]The Best Pecan Pie[/SIZE]

•  

[SIZE=16pt]Ingredients[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16pt]1 cup sugar[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16pt]1 1/2 cups corn syrup ( I use 1/2 dark and 1/2 light)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16pt]4 eggs[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16pt]1/4 cup butter[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16pt]1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16pt]1 1/2 cups pecans, coarsely broken, save a few whole pecans to decorate[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16pt]1 unbaked deep dish pie shell[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Directions[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=16pt]In saucepan boil sugar and corn syrup together for 2 to 3 minutes; set aside to cool slightly to avoid cooking the eggs.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=16pt]In large bowl beat eggs, lightly and very slowly pour the syrup mixture into the eggs, while stirring constantly.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=16pt]Stir in butter, vanilla, and pecans and pour into crust, add whole pecans on top to decorate.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=16pt]Bake in a 350°F oven for about 45 to 60 minutes or until set.[/SIZE]

Back