• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Jerk Sauce and Brinjal Pickle recipes needed

salsalady

Business Member
Hey Everyone,

Looks like there is interest for another local hot sauce cooking class and I am looking for new ideas.  The class will happen in March, so, not the best time of year for getting fresh peppers in, but we've been able to substitute and use from my frozen stash for classes in the past. 

Over the last few years, we have done over 30 different recipes in all the different classes.

LOTS of sauce recipes- lots of flavor profiles, heats and colors.
chimichurri
pickled peppers
sriracha and other ferments
candied peppers
seasoning salts
peach chutney
steak sauce
AJ's Puree

I'm looking for Jamaican Jerk Sauce and Brinjal Pickle recipes.

Does anyone have a tried-and-true Jamaican Jerk Sauce recipe or a Brinjal Pickle recipe they would care to share?

The brinjal recipe looks fairly consistent, but if anyone has one they would share, I'd love to have one that is proven instead of relying on i-net recipes.

For this next class, I'm thinking of-
Sweet Thai Chilli Sauce (this was requested.  We did a Sambal Oelek before)
Brinjal pickle (requested)
a sweet pepper jam
Jerk Sauce
and some other basic hot sauce

SOMETHING ELSE????  Maybe a white garlic sauce?  We haven't done one of those, but it should be one that can be hot packed as that is kind of the purpose of the class. 

Thanks for any suggestions!

salsalady

I think pepper jam is a great idea too, simply because it is something people actually use, I find. A lot of this stuff sits on the shelf but pepper jams can be used as often as people drink coffee and make toast. They can also be used on BBQ, or baked hams, on pancakes, PB&J, and ice cream, and added to sauces to make them sweet and fruity. They are more versatile than they seem. FWIW I like the fruit pepper jams, not the pepper only jams. Reason being is it needs a carrier and that carrier being pectin and sugar is overload. I like the blackberry, peach, strawberry, etc.

I agree with the pepper jam comments.  I don't care for green chiles in pepper jams or just a pepper only, or hot peppers with some small diced bell peppers.  A ripe pepper in a fruit jam...YEA!  Much better!!!  Smokin'James has made and brought some really good jams to our campout. 

Here's a link to pics from a previous class at the Grange Hall.  It is so much fun!  I loose money on the whole venture, but it's so much fun I keep doing it. 
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63572-making-hot-sauce-101-class-2017/?hl=%2Bhot+%2Bsauce+%2Bclass

Our local Hank's market has 5 # and 10# boxes of frozen blueberries for a pretty reasonable price.  I'm thinking....Blueberry Fatalii Jam.

edit- to spell locak write... ;)

Sheesh!  That recipe wasted a lot of rum for the cooking and not the chef! JK!!!!

Pic1's post has all the basics and looks killer, I guess I'm gonna have to actually make it to get measurements for a recipe that can be replicated.  I'll let you know how it turns out~~~

thanks forthcoming~ ;)

The second link version is a pretty solid jerk flavour profile.

Stripped right back to basics the four essentials not including salt are

Scotch bonnets
Pimento berries /allspice
Fresh thyme
Scallions/escallions

It needs to be fairly salty and a liquid to help process is helpful. Oil is often used

When I first started playing around looking to make my own version, I started here.

Those four plus neutral oil and salt. Tasting to find a good ratio.
You can get some damn fine results with just those basics.

It might be fun to develop a base recipe and then offer additional ingredients so everyone can make it their own.

It seems most families have their own variations, with common additional players being

Ginger
Cinnamon
Garlic
Onion
Soy sauce
Nutmeg
Black pepper
Worcestershire sauce
Rum
Molasses

I do a version in spring that uses garlic scapes in place of scallion.

I think I actually have it itemized out on the desktop. If I do I will post later.

You have to keep in mind she is not trying to replicate authentic jerk... like BBQ here, there is real deal BBQ, and BBQ sauce... so she just needs a good jerk sauce, one could use on their grill...

I don't think the Methow will be all:

jerk_chicken_2.jpg

PS. That sounded like a slight against the Methow but it wasn't.

I meant it like, you need to make a sauce not recreate the process.

Yeah, a good jerk marinade/sauce is all you need to enjoy it.

The fresh Pimento wood, sweet wood cooking is pretty awesome but you can get great jerk on a gasser even, there is much flavour built into the marinade.

The jerk places in TO actually use barrel drum cookers .

Yes,looking for a sawse recipe that can be made in bulk, like 2-3 gallons. I can do the math for a scale up, just looking for a good solid starting point.

Class participants will be making and bottling the sauce to take home. It can be hfh, or bwb.

@SL - I'm keen to hear what you settle on for the brinjal pickle recipe. Were you thinking to do something close to that recipe link and just add some chillies?

As for a chillie jam recipe, I've had quite some success with this strawberry/blackberry/raspberry combo: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/67839-jams-jellies-and-marmalades-thread/?p=1573511
I've now made multiple batches of this stuff for friends/family - they keep bugging me for it! 4 habaneros is a perfect start, even for a non heat lover.

Thanks for the link, Nice~.

I have no set recipe for the brinjal. I've never had it before. A person coming to the class requested it.

I'm seeing 2 methods for the aubergine recipe. One method calls for chopping and salting the eggplants for a few hours then squeezing out the water. The other method just chops and frys it.

Anyone know which is correct or better?

Here's one-
https://www-bbcgoodfood-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2303647/aubergine-pickle?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQHCAFYAYABAQ%3D%3D#aoh=15431706906788&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbcgoodfood.com%2Frecipes%2F2303647%2Faubergine-pickle

I tried pic1's jerk recipe. I've never had authentic jerk, so I don't know if I did it right. Strong aroma and flavors. It seemed gritty. The toasted spiced were blitzed very fine in a coffee grinder. Overall, it was OK, but I plan on tweaking and trying it again.

Tweaking the recipe...No me... :Lol:

I used whole limes, I think the pith gave it an off taste. Will probably go with something more like Ashen's recipe.

It's made to marinate and cook with if you want one more like a smooth BBQ you'd have to change it. The scallions do create a grassy texture, you might opt for some onion powder and the usual spices like allspice etc.

And yes it is supposed to be potent. Tasting by itself is not really that pleasant.

Back