• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2019 Sri Lanka - Chilli Red!

Pepper-Guru

Extreme Member
Here we grow again! Better to get this started now, a variety voted on, find a vendor and get the seeds ordered! 

Same rules every year:

1. Seeds hit dirt no sooner than Jan 1 2019
2. Germinate and grow as many as you want, but pick only one to be harvested from and weighed. 
3. All grow styles and techniques welcome.
4. All harvests are to be weighed, recorded, photographed and posted as they occur.
5. Contest ends Jan 1 2020 @ 12:01 am. Whomever harvests the most weight off one plant during the 365 day period is crowned the Growdown Throwdown king! (king gets customary care packages)
6. Honor system only. No cheating. You lie and I'll KNOW!

Let the voting begin!

RESULTS:

Aji Fantasy (2 votes)
Fatalii (2 votes)
Nebru (0 votes)
Rusty 7 Pot (0 votes])
Infinity Monster (0 votes)
Bhut Jolokia (0 votes)
JPGS (1 votes)
Paper Lantern Hab (4 votes)
Biker Billy Jalapeno (1 votes)
Red Cayenne (1 votes)
"Chili Red" - Kandy, Sri Lanka *Guru (17 votes)
Rocoto (4 votes)
Sherwoods Carbonero (1 votes)
Bonnet/BBG (1 votes)
Bahamian Goat (11 votes)
White Bullet (1 votes)

dragonsfire said:
Looks awesome. I have no dog in this fight, but....I can GUARANTEE you've never tasted ANYTHING like this "chili red" i brought back from Sri Lanka...and...you've never harvested so many peppers off one plant. 
When you bite into these..they go BOOM with sweet, wonderful tasting juice followed by cayenne level heat. Indescribable really. 

They are the first red ones you see me picking in this video: 

https://youtu.be/1oKVj-IDpYc

Dang... I wanted to vote for the paper lantern but apparently I missed one spot and voted for the JPGS... can I "unvote"?

stettoman said:
I'm going to chew on this one a bit. I need to grow peppers I can use and palate.

Where will seed derive?

Gotta decide on variety first! Ya know dude...there are some on the list that are plenty useful and on lower heat levels for most people palettes. If you have any ideas you can speak up now and I'll add them. 

Pepper-Guru said:
Looks awesome. I have no dog in this fight, but....I can GUARANTEE you've never tasted ANYTHING like this "chili red" i brought back from Sri Lanka...and...you've never harvested so many peppers off one plant. 
When you bite into these..they go BOOM with sweet, wonderful tasting juice followed by cayenne level heat. Indescribable really. 

They are the first red ones you see me picking in this video: 

That chili red sounds delish :drooling:

Pepper-Guru said:

Gotta decide on variety first! Ya know dude...there are some on the list that are plenty useful and on lower heat levels for most people palettes. If you have any ideas you can speak up now and I'll add them. 
Yeah, I know....I was just seeing how easy you were gonna be to draw out of the weeds this time. You mailed a lot of seeds last year....*wink*

I actually have a pretty good spectrum of peppers on hand, dried and frozen, the Rocotos have found a home nestled into small jars of deep burgundy colored wild fruit product (again with the *wink*), and my tastebuds are researching candidates for my first medium-hot hotsauce for next season. Your "chile red" sounds intriguing.

We shall see....

Edmick said:
You probably already mentioned this is your glog but what's the chili red? Something you picked up in your travels?

EDIT: Oops, I missed the explanation in your previous post. Never mind

So yeah, 

while in Sri Lanka and enjoying a train ride through tea country near Kandy, while looking out of the window to this: 

44187428280_a60f60c88c_b.jpg

The train would come to small towns and villages, where at every station would be men selling food items and drinks. One man was selling shrimp fritters/biscuits stuffed inside his daughters old homework as wrappers, and also has a pile of dried, oiled and salted chilis (eveyrone calls just "Chili". Like this one: 

32342813771_de01369aed_b.jpg

Or at restaurants the same thing as a side dish like here on my rice.

32424194306_e3afe62dcb_b.jpg

Also seen in markets everywhere, like this shot I took in Kandy:

31652627373_9d3618e0eb_b.jpg

Or dried already in burlap bags like this:

32464169655_cfda867681_b.jpg

I loved them...I mean...man I loved them...

So I brought them back and here they are in 2017 and this year in my personal garden:

35962023665_e4d4cbe33b_b.jpg

Again, no dog in this fight...but when I say i have a TON of these seeds...its because this plant is RIDICULOUS and I do! 

stettoman said:
Yeah, I know....I was just seeing how easy you were gonna be to draw out of the weeds this time. You mailed a lot of seeds last year....*wink*

I actually have a pretty good spectrum of peppers on hand, dried and frozen, the Rocotos have found a home nestled into small jars of deep burgundy colored wild fruit product (again with the *wink*), and my tastebuds are researching candidates for my first medium-hot hotsauce for next season. Your "chile red" sounds intriguing.

We shall see....
IT WAS YOU! hahaha

I can't wait to try it. 

That chili red reminds me of my experience with the "jeromin" variety I grew this year. I started my plant from seeds out of smoked/dried chilis. The plant produced excellent chilies that were great for everyday use. I really loved it and will definitely grow it again! :)

In the mean time I'm hooked to that paper lantern! I will grow it next season, no matter if it's chosen or not! ;)

Back