• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

For next Turkey Day.... Cranberry-Habanero?

The topic came up last night, between talking with my parents about my new hobby of fermenting hot sauces and the apparent national over-abundance of cranberries and alternative recipes to try them out in, I realized I could try my hand at a Cranberry-Habanero sauce. I'll probably be bottling one of my jars of mash this upcoming week, freeing up the jar and glass weight, and I'd like to experiment.

Are there any special things to consider when working with something as sugar-heavy as a cranberry? I've only worked with garlic, onion, and peppers so far. I typically go with a 5%-by-weight (including water) salt solution + whatever my covering brine imparts on it. Is this still a good formula to use?

Overall I'm thinking blend 2 parts cranberry to 1 part red habanero, seeing as they're relatively easy to get peppers, add in some ginger and a cinnamon stick or two to the jar instead of my usual oak-chips, maybe even a blend in a lemon-slice to make it more acidic.

Doing it now would give me time to toy around with the recipe before next year.

Thoughts?
1) 5% Salt still good?
2) Anything particular to be cautious of when working with berries?
3) Better peppers to use? (I'd have to order dried ones)

That sounds tasty and would go nicely on your next turkey cubano! I've never made a hot sauce with them, but I do know cranberries to be pretty high in pectin and low in sugars. Low pH, too. One source held them at pH 2.5,on average. Also, I'd chop or grind them before adding to your ferment, as they will float if left whole. Orange would be good with the cranberry & hab. If the pectin is making it too thick for you, orange juice would be a great way to thin it.

image0.jpg

I have done it!

Yes, they are just as red as they appear.
pH was like 2.95.

120g of Habs
138g of Fresno
74g of Ginger
651g of Cranberries
32g Salt, + distilled water to texture
Made two 24oz jars, but one of those jars got moldy. That's why I love working in multiple smaller jars.

Finished off after a short 4 week ferment with 1 cup of ACV and 1.5 cups of distilled water, give or take and added some xanthan gum to keep it from separating. It's still pretty thick.
Flavor?
Could use sugar, but just a touch. Once the ACV and water cut some of the heat the ginger started shining through in a nice sort of duet. Initial mash was very salty.
For my wife, she really got the ginger and the heat of the habs. I'm a little more seasoned so the sweetness of the cranberry was a bigger note for me.

Overall, it's going to be great on Thanksgiving leftovers and such. Made some bottles for a friend of mine.
I was describing my project to him:
"So, I'm planning on making a cranberry... habanero... ginger... hot sauce."
"Every single word of that was a surprise."

salsalady said:
I'm looking for ideas for the next Making Hot Sauce class and this just made the list.
Haha! Thanks!

Just as a side-note, it is a little strong on the ginger and less on the cranberry in final form; not in a bad way, exactly. Just in case you’re going for more cranberry, keep that in mind. The heat isn’t as much as it could be if I cut some of the Fresno’s in favor of habs, which I intend to do if I repeat.

Back