• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Making red sauce(pasta sauce)

1st. Heat the oven to 330.

2nd.Get 3-4 #s of tomatoes.I like to use romas. Remove the stems and cut an"X" in the tomatoes.Makes it easier to remove the skins.

Now get a pot  of water to a boil.Toss the tomatoes in for about a minute.Then immediately toss in an ice water bath.Remove the skins.

Then start smashing the tomatoes by hand!!

3rd.Now get a dutch over,add some oil and butter.Then saute some garlic and basil.Then add the smashed tomatoes.

4th.Now add some carrots,half a whole onion,and some fresh basil.The onion and carrots help reduce the acid of the tomatoes.
Once the sauce is done,you'll fish out the carrots,basil,and onions.

Also if you want to add any meats,mushrooms,ect,you can now or add when the sauce is done.
Since I'm making this for stuffed shells tomorrow,its pretty basic sauce.

5th.Now toss in the oven and cover,but leave a small crack in the lid.
Now this is the long part.I usually go easily 8 hours! Yes!! 8 hours!! Check and stir every hour or so.I like a thicker sauce,so I cook it down a bit.Thinner sauce will be a bit less time.

I'll try to get a "finished"pic,but this is what it looks like before i add to the oven.

2d6je6t.jpg

I have done the boil/ice method. I have been just slicing the tomatoes in half and putting them cut side down in a big baking pan at 400 in the oven. I think it only takes 10 minutes and the skins will start to turn black. Then they peel easy. Idk if it's less work or not, but I like it better than having to go buy ice.

I usually start from tomato sauce or tomato paste, and add water to get the texture I want. From there it's whatever I want, starting with onion and garlic. Some salt, no sugar. Herbs like rosemary and oregano - heavy on the oregano if the sauce is for pizza. Pepper? Here on this board? Bring it to a gentle simmer for a while. 

It's very easy and inexpensive. Try it, then taste any major brand of pasta sauce, and the sugar content will amaze you.

The whole oregano in pizza sauce thing is a mostly an Italian American twist. Pretty much all recipes from Italy calling for generic oregano actually mean sweet marjoram. All marjorams technically belong to the oregano family. I grow and buy dried Greek oregano for certain things but prefer marjoram in Italian dishes. Switch it out some time and see what you think.

Ashen said:
The whole oregano in pizza sauce thing is a mostly an Italian American twist. Pretty much all recipes from Italy calling for generic oregano actually mean sweet marjoram. All marjorams technically belong to the oregano family. I grow and buy dried Greek oregano for certain things but prefer marjoram in Italian dishes. Switch it out some time and see what you think.

I'm hungarian.

We don't really give a shit about herbs.

We throw down whatever.

As long as its paprika.

Heh, coming from a Lithuanian background, I like marjoram with beef, so yes, that would work well.

Right now I have a pot simmering with homegrown tomato that was only skinned, seeded, and run through the food processor. Nothing else, no salt no seasoning, nothing. As the block melts it smells like summer. Got some meatballs cooking separately, they have the spices and herbs. Time to cook pasta.

Hab_Nut said:
Heh, coming from a Lithuanian background, I like marjoram with beef, so yes, that would work well.

Right now I have a pot simmering with homegrown tomato that was only skinned, seeded, and run through the food processor. Nothing else, no salt no seasoning, nothing. As the block melts it smells like summer. Got some meatballs cooking separately, they have the spices and herbs. Time to cook pasta.

You had me at meatballs.

Back