• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nmlarson

nmlarson

Hot

• Extreme
  • 697 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:02 AM

Earlier this year, I met a friend at a small French restaurant in Lancaster, PA and had an amazing bowl of cream of parsnip soup.  It was velvety smooth, creamy and had just a bit of "warm" spice, i.e., allspice, to it.

Sooooooo, I decided to grow parsnips this summer, fickle as they are.  We have finally had our killing frost, so the parsnips are ready to pull, but, after thinning, there are only about 8 of them so I don't want to screw this up.

Has anyone ever made cream of parsnip soup and been really pleased with the results?  Care to share technique and recipe?

P.S.  If you ever need an aphid trap crop, plant some parsnips outside your pepper beds.  I've not seen an infestestation this bad since I tried growing artichokes.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.        Robert Heinlein

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,312 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:20 PM

I noticed a I have a few partially dry in the fridge, will use them in carrot soup for lunch, snow and cold so perfect for today, will blitz them.

#3 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,962 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

I searched around for what I thought was the closest recipe. Hopefully this works.

https://www.epicurio...nip-soup-104190

#4 nmlarson

nmlarson

Hot

• Extreme
  • 697 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:54 PM

I searched around for what I thought was the closest recipe. Hopefully this works.

https://www.epicurio...nip-soup-104190

Thanks, Boss!  It's pretty close, save for the bacon.  Now that I really think about it, I don't believe it had cream in it, but it did have that silky texture they're writing of.  I might just give this one a shot....omitting the bacon and adding a touch of cayenne to it feels right, too. Maybe some creme fraiche as a garnish....

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.        Robert Heinlein

#5 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,962 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:12 PM

Most the recipes I saw also had no cream but said creamy. And this was from a French joint and had allspice. ;)

#6 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,312 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:30 PM

The Best "Cream" I found is to use cashew nuts, its like butter, as well as the Great White North bean.

#7 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,962 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

I wound't add any clutter, when done right, parsnip soup is supposed to be creamy w/o additions.

#8 nmlarson

nmlarson

Hot

• Extreme
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:38 AM

Done!  Here:  http://thehotpepper....boom/?p=1596688

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parsnip, soup, recipe, cream of parsnip soup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests