• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Robot Mode's First indoor Pepper grow! 2019

First time growing peppers indoors!

Start1.jpg

Was able to germinate some Thai Hot, Cayenne, Purple Jalapeno, and Serrano peppers.  I ordered a bunch of seeds from White Hot Peppers but honestly I think at my own fault I haven't had much success with germination. I have some Isolated Bohemian GOAT, Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion, 7 Pot Bubblegum Chocolate Long, Devil's Tongue White, and some scotch bonnet seeds I am trying to germinate right now.

Germ1.jpg

Below is the Purple Jalapeno at day 4

Purpled4.jpg

PurpleSproutd4.jpg

Day 14 of Purple Jalapeño

Purpled14.jpg

Day 24 (Got a new "1200 Watt" Phlizon LED Light)
Light1.jpg
Setup1.jpg

Prupled24.jpg
Purpled241.jpg

Purpled242.jpg

Here they are all together: (W/ Thai Hot, Serrano, Cayenne)

day24setup.jpg

I am planning on getting a small grow tent in a few weeks and also have a large deck to grow in the spring. I never seen leafs turn an almost black like purple so fast, is this a good trait?

Thank you checking out my first Grow Log post!

karoo said:
Great setup for winter.
Good luck.

Thanks! I might need it with all my ambitions and limited grow space. Might have to resort to windows in the spring until I can safely use my deck. 

Almost been only a week since my last update but I started to check the temp of my germination and it seemed to get way to hot covered (~130 F)and too cold(~60 F) at night uncover. I made a layer of towels with air pocket and tows over top and get around 85F-93F so far.
Germtastic.jpg

I am getting annoyed with my bad germination rates from poor technique but I think this covered with no presser on top will be better. Still why not just go crazy and germ tons of strains until I get something to work. SO more seeds from White Hot Peppers as I know my gemer rate is not the vendors fault. Check it out!
Screenshot_20181209-130600.png

Also have some side shoots coming out of this purple jalapeno so trimmed my lettuce up and stuck them out in the warm winter sun for Sunday! :surprised:   Day 30
Day30SUNday.jpg
LettuceSUNday.jpg

Any germination or general tips will be appreciated :violin:

My seeds I ordered are two days later that projected date with USPS and I am starting to get worried they might be loss :pray:

My Thai Hot, Serrano, Cayenne are coming along nicely since I transferred them from Jiffy pellets.
Lightsoff12_14_18.jpg

My smaller Purple Jalapeno is starting grow roots out of the bottom of the first cup enough where I can start doing most of the watering for the bottom!
Smallpurpleroots.jpg

My bigger Purple Jalapeno looks like it is growing its first bud?
newflower.jpg

Germination hasn't been going so great still. I am switching my setup to to a single towel on the heat pad and no towel on top. (Will record temps and maybe will get too much light?)

newgermsetup.jpg
singleheatpad.jpg

So many strains, so many seed. Growing desperate  :banghead:

12-14Germ.jpg

Hey Robot Mode.  Your Purple jalapeno is looking great and already wants to flower!  I'm a fan of dark leaves, especially on young plants. 

Sucks that you're having germination issues, but the Chinense are going to be slower and tougher than your Annuums.  My typical germination time on WHP Chinense seeds has been 8 - 11 days sowing a couple seeds directly into Solo cups. If you're using paper towels in baggies (I'd recommend using coffee filters instead) you should see the radicle emerge perhaps 4 days sooner, so 4 - 7 days should be about right.  Some batches are going to be slower though and things can easily take a week longer. You're starting enough varieties though, that if you're not seeing something in a week or so then you should be looking into your method.

I think the key for you is temperature control.  Do you have a towel between the heating mat and your seeds or just over the seeds?  You'll need something between them to keep from cooking them. If you make a sandwich with the towel so it's both between the seeds and the mat and above the seeds too that should likely get you into the temperature range you need.  A good method is to put a single layer of towel over the heating pad then a shoe box (a small plastic container or $5 home depot style humidity dome works even better) with your seeds over that and fold the towel over the top of that.  Put your temperature gauge into the shoe box and come back in a few hours and check the temperature.  More or fewer towels under and over will help you lock in the right temps (I like about 82-84 for Chinense).

Good luck and hope your seeds show up today!

CD

CaneDog said:
Hey Robot Mode.  Your Purple jalapeno is looking great and already wants to flower!  I'm a fan of dark leaves, especially on young plants. 

Thanks! Just as i think they are going more green with growth it turns dark purple again.

CaneDog said:
If you're using paper towels in baggies (I'd recommend using coffee filters instead) you should see the radicle emerge perhaps 4 days sooner, so 4 - 7 days should be about right.  Some batches are going to be slower though and things can easily take a week longer. You're starting enough varieties though, that if you're not seeing something in a week or so then you should be looking into your method.

I was seeing everyone here using coffee filters and was wondering there is a difference. I am very desperate as I am going on 14 days of germ for most of my strains and as soon as I read your reply I took action! Just moved all 12 of my strains (average of 20 seeds per bag) into coffee filters!

CaneDog said:
I think the key for you is temperature control.  Do you have a towel between the heating mat and your seeds or just over the seeds?  You'll need something between them to keep from cooking them. If you make a sandwich with the towel so it's both between the seeds and the mat and above the seeds too that should likely get you into the temperature range you need.  A good method is to put a single layer of towel over the heating pad then a shoe box (a small plastic container or $5 home depot style humidity dome works even better) with your seeds over that and fold the towel over the top of that.  Put your temperature gauge into the shoe box and come back in a few hours and check the temperature.  More or fewer towels under and over will help you lock in the right temps (I like about 82-84 for Chinense).

Good luck and hope your seeds show up today!

CD

I have been using the towel sandwich method did towel on top and between heat mat but temps were getting in the mid 90s. Then I tried a bigger buffer and got high-low 70s at night. I just recently got the temps to stay in the 80s.

I have also already put your pepper wisdom into action with the dome as well! I will monitor the temps and report back. :cheers:
newgermsetup2.jpg

There was an update on the shipping of new seeds and hoping for Monday. I will start all those seeds in coffee and hopefully my germ setup will be very stable in low 80s by then!

Thanks for all the words of wisdom!

Good deal RM!  Glad to hear you're finding your rhythm with your indoor grow.  The 2 big differences I see in coffee filters vs paper towels are it's easier to keep coffee filters damp but not wet and they don't get all messed up with the seeds so they're easier to work with and less likely to damage the radicle when it emerges.

Looking forward to pics of lots of those cool varieties when they hatch.

+1 Cane Dog

Your grow is looking very good, Steve.  Some nice,
healthy plants going.  Will enjoy watching what
comes from them.

PaulG said:
+1 Cane Dog

Your grow is looking very good, Steve.  Some nice,
healthy plants going.  Will enjoy watching what
comes from them.

Thanks, hopefully I will add some more soon.

internationalfish said:
Looking good! I'm also in the dark-leaves-are-cool club. Looking forward to seeing all these varieties!

Thanks, its crazy to see how fast the purple fills in.

Also I should update my germination list as of now: (More to come soon)
  1. Devil's Tongue White
  2. Trinidad Scorpion x Pimenta Moranga
  3. Scotch Bonnet Schneider farms
  4. Habanero Vietnam
  5. Bahamian Goat (Isolated)
  6. Habanero Red Dominica
  7. 7 Pot Bubblegum (BBG7) Chocolate Long
  8. Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's
  9. Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
  10. Elysium Oxide Scotch Bonnet
  11. Scotch Brains
  12. Peach Ghost Jami
All seeds are from WHP.

I have been waiting for my plants to get bigger but I think I found the perfect small size tent for my space. I am going to order this tent any day now. Very excited to give the peppers a new home.
Newtent.jpg

Cane Dog is on Point...and any time Paul G speaks...time to listen! Lol

A grow may thermostat is a valuable tool. If you can keep your soil at or near 82 the seeds will pop. If you dont have a thermostat I would put them in soil under lights. You will have success if you can keep your temps between 75 and 85. Will be watching for the popping.

VIVOSUN Digital Seedling Heat Mat Thermostat Controller 68-108℉ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015F4VFGI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mZCfCbCAZZEQ1

The grow tent looks great, Steve - should make
a great addition to your grow space. Can't wait
to see one set up and full of plants!

I just repeat what Shane says.

stc3248 said:
Cane Dog is on Point...and any time Paul G speaks...time to listen! Lol

A grow may thermostat is a valuable tool. If you can keep your soil at or near 82 the seeds will pop. If you dont have a thermostat I would put them in soil under lights. You will have success if you can keep your temps between 75 and 85. Will be watching for the popping.

VIVOSUN Digital Seedling Heat Mat Thermostat Controller 68-108℉ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015F4VFGI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mZCfCbCAZZEQ1

Thanks! I will probably have to invest in that when I order my tent! Anything to get my low germ rates up.

PaulG said:
The grow tent looks great, Steve - should make
a great addition to your grow space. Can't wait
to see one set up and full of plants!

I just repeat what Shane says.

Yes I have plenty of space between the plants and lights for at least a month but it going to be so great to have everything in the final setup until spring. (Might have try some by windows but Michigan winters might shut down that idea.)

Also thinking it will give me more floor space for transplanting any peppers. Roots are growing nice with double cup method and not sure when to transfer because I enjoy bottom feeding. At the same time I do not want to limit growth because its still only a solo cup. :hmm:

Also An update on new seeds. No show. back to being worried although mail has been slow with the holidays.

Robot Mode said:
Also thinking it will give me more floor space for transplanting any peppers. Roots are growing nice with double cup method and not sure when to transfer because I enjoy bottom feeding. At the same time I do not want to limit growth because its still only a solo cup. :hmm:

Hey, Steve! Here's my theory :think: 
When the roots fill up the cup, the plants will
start growing faster as the plants divert energy from root
growth. They can get surprisingly large in a beverage cup!

One thing I do is take the sleeve off the day after
bottom watering, so the roots air prune at the drain
holes to avoid roots growing long out the holes or
circling. I should say it minimizes the problem, but
I've had great dense root balls since doing that. If there
are long roots hanging out the holes, you can cut them
off a few days before transplanting, or any time actually,
the the roots will branch out inside the root ball.

The downside is, there is access for fungus gnats
to find moist soil in the holes :rofl: .  Nothing is
perfect. Hang a yellow sticky card.

:cheers: to success, Steve!

Alright looks like we have an update on the seeds! Only one week later than USPS projected dated they arrive here they are: (2018 WHP seeds)

2018WHPseeds.jpg

The red font are the newly added seeds to germ
  1. Devil's Tongue White
  2. Trinidad Scorpion x Pimenta Moranga
  3. Scotch Bonnet Schneider farms
  4. Habanero Vietnam
  5. Bahamian Goat (Isolated)
  6. Habanero Red Dominica
  7. 7 Pot Bubblegum (BBG7) Chocolate Long
  8. Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's
  9. Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
  10. Elysium Oxide Scotch Bonnet
  11. Scotch Brains
  12. Peach Ghost Jami
  13. Scotch Strains F1 Cross (Red Phano) (Isolated)
  14. Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut (Thin Pheno) (Isolated)
  15. Trinidad X-Strain Variant
  16. 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow
  17. 7 Pot Lava Chocolate x BBG7 (Gnarly Pheno)
  18. Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut
  19. BBG7 Naga Orange

Also am going to try to soak the BBG7 Naga Orange seeds for a day and just plant them all in one cup to see if that works.

Newgerm12_20.jpg
Differentgerm.jpg

Might as well take a peak at the garden growth with this update. You can see buds popping everywhere on both purple jalapenos now.
Newflowers12_20.jpg

12_20su.jpg

My smaller Purple Jalapeno's roots are growing like crazy!
SmallJalapenoRoots12_20.jpg

I am hoping these fresh seeds take fast. My germ chamber is staying around 85 now and feeling a bit more confidant. Also still havnt ordered the grow tent but soon for sure!

How much distance you keep between your LED array and the plants?

Sometimes I use folded coffee filters in a plastic sleeve for germination. I keep this in a 86° cabinet. This is a pain because I'm a klutz so I have doing the hand planting of the hooked seed. Coffee filters much better than paper towels. If you don't catch a germinated seed in paper towel right quick, the root grows all into the paper towel and it's generally a loss.

Most often I use drilled 30 ml medicine cups and jiffy pellets in a dome tray at about the same temperature over an old waterbed heater mat. Towels underneath and on top of the trays. Remote probe meat thermometer under the tray. I use a seed potting mix in the cups, then cover the seeds with sifted mix. Since I have a lot of seeds, I plant 3-4 to the cup or pellet. I check the seeds a few times a day and when one stands up, I move it out and put it in the lighted nursery chamber. If multiples sprout, I eventually clip off the lesser plants.

DWB said:
How much distance you keep between your LED array and the plants?

Sometimes I use folded coffee filters in a plastic sleeve for germination. I keep this in a 86° cabinet. This is a pain because I'm a klutz so I have doing the hand planting of the hooked seed. Coffee filters much better than paper towels. If you don't catch a germinated seed in paper towel right quick, the root grows all into the paper towel and it's generally a loss.

Most often I use drilled 30 ml medicine cups and jiffy pellets in a dome tray at about the same temperature over an old waterbed heater mat. Towels underneath and on top of the trays. Remote probe meat thermometer under the tray. I use a seed potting mix in the cups, then cover the seeds with sifted mix. Since I have a lot of seeds, I plant 3-4 to the cup or pellet. I check the seeds a few times a day and when one stands up, I move it out and put it in the lighted nursery chamber. If multiples sprout, I eventually clip off the lesser plants.

I actually switched to all coffee filters and thats what in the picture with the new ones. I think I might get another Jiffy pellet pack like you said and just start planting some after a few days of germinating in coffee filters. Thanks for sharing you technique!

Super seed collection, Steve.  Your grow
is developing nicely with your new additions.

Good luck going forward...

A very positive update! So finally placed my order for the grow tent on Sunday and it will be arriving Friday! 

I visited my family for Christmas and spent just over a day away from the plants. I arrived late last night and was giving a wonderful Christmas gift from the pepper gods! I had 10 plus seeds of the 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow seeds germinate as well as 1 seed from the Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut grow a nice long tail.
GermCC1.jpg

After about 2 months of pepper seed germination struggles of trying different methods I finally got not 1 but 2 Chinese Capsaicin strains to germ!!!  :dance:  :clap:

I do have to give some credit to my heat mat regulator that has been keeping my seeds around 85F since it arrived 3 days ago.
GermProbe.jpg
Germtemp.jpg

I planted the Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut and 7 Pot Brain Strain yellow in cups and am hoping for sprouts in the next day or so. This all is great progress for me and I will have to post another update of how well my plants are growing and budding as well, but might just wait until I get my grow tent set up in a couple days.

Thank you anyone who has contributed to this grow in anyway. Every little piece of advice has been considered if not acted upon!! Can't wait till I get some pods to share.

Back