MuyPicante

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

How are the peppers looking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pepper  plants are doing good Acprkit! Well the properly fertilized are doing good, the other 3 not so much. Here is a quick update.

I got a small harvest in february from plants 2, 3 and 4. Lots of red pods ready to harvest in the plants right now. This month I will probably harvest 2 times.

Most of the pepper came from plants 2 and 4, plant 6 has lots of pods but they were still not ready yet. Picked all the red pods and the ones that were starting to ripen.

This is plant # 1, (miracle gro)

pGoj2Ku.jpg

It was interesting to notice that the peppers for each plant had a slightly different shape. I dont know if this is due to the different fertilizer or its just normal natural variation. Plant 4 with the granular fert has slightly longer and and larger pods compared to the plant 2, which are a bit rounder.

qrlaBhE.jpg

NYkCeYR.jpg

These one are from plant 4. Washed and ready to be made into a puree.

WZOe9Pe.jpg

gkHblYb.jpg

Pant 1 had no peppers, not even green ones. Right now it has one or two very small peppers, about the size of a grape. 

Pant 3, produced 3 pods and shows no signs of producing any more. No flowers and the plant is looking pretty yellow.

Plant 2 and 4, are still producing like crazy, may flowers and young pods sprouting every day.

Plant 5 has about 8 medium peppers that are starting to turn red, a few more flowers and small pods

Plant 6 has a  good amount of green pods, about the same size as the ones in plant 2, maybe a bit smaller. I think they still have some growing to do.

xe5peG0.jpg

Hope to get  a couple of harvests this month. I dont like to leave them on the plant too much after they have turned red as the birds might eat them. I'll keep this table update and maybe add a graph or two to keep you guys posted. 

Heat is starting to make itself felt. High around 38C in mid day. Im having to water them every day, specially the bigger plants. Im a bit worried, seems we are in for a very hot summer as its only February, april and may are the hottest months. We will have 40+ temps during those two months. 

The peppers were hot! What you would expect from a habanero, maybe a bit more than a regular orange hab.

Cheers

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#42 PaulG

PaulG

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,590 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

What a great experiment.
Turned out really well. And
some great looking pods!

:dance: Every Pod a Victory!  Life Force is Strong!

Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques - Community Grow 

#43 Acprkit

Acprkit

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:35 AM

Wow! I’m surprised by how well the miracle gro plant has done compared with the others given how much flack that fertilizer can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#44 MuyPicante

MuyPicante

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

....update

Second harvest and the first for march just picked. This is how its looking.

Plant 1, No ferts

Still no peppers and the smallest of the bunch. Looking yellowish with 2 grape sized little pods.

uw3pAez.jpg

Plant 2, Miracle Gro

Still in the lead. Almost 200 grams in this last harvest and about 27 pods.

QFxmXx1.jpg

s2ehzUy.jpg

Plant 3, Epsom Salts

Its pretty clear that a diet on just epsom salts wont cut it. The plant is looking yellower by the day. No new flowers or pods.

OaQ6z2H.jpg

Plant 4, Granular

Plant is looking good. Not as green as #2 but the yields looks promising and it might catch up in the near future.

kHFLsf4.jpg

9xH0fp8.jpg

Plant 5, Cal-Mag 

First harvest today, looking much better than its epsom salts counter part, but nowhere near the properly fertilized plants. Has a few flowers and new pods.

9I9diFr.jpg

b7JR8NJ.jpg

Plant 6, Tacre Hidro

Looks promising, no ripe pods yet but plenty of green ones. The foliage is the best looking of the bunch. Forgot to take a picture of it alone, but its the last one to the right. 

tcE6mUB.jpg

Yields are looking like this so far.

KDZTOGr.jpg

t6HPCGj.jpg

I have noticed that the pod size has reduced for all plants on this second harvest. Is this normal or,do they need more food, are they sick? Would appreciate some comments regarding this.

But the best for last.

I have made myself some killer puree based on AlabamaJack's recipe!

edS65O3.jpg

Will keep you guys posted in a couple of weeks. Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Edited by MuyPicante, 10 March 2019 - 09:38 PM.

#45 internationalfish

internationalfish

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

Ooh, gorgeous color on that sauce!

#46 CDNmatt

CDNmatt

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • aka:Matty

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:44 AM

It cannot be said enough how fantastic this little experiment has been man.

I have never really fertilized much in the past other then some compost and the odd bag of manure, but even just using fert on my starters has shown a huge improvement over last years. I have a few different types rigth nowbut figure I will buy a few other of the more common types you see in places like Walmart ect and do a comparison as well.

And finally - I still see alot of green and totally hate this thread, keep up the great work!!

cdnmatt- Season 2 has started..Into the Fire I go

#47 Blackpepper

Blackpepper

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:06 AM

I grow in 5 gallon bucket. How much should i pour to each container plant? Do i water it all to 1 plant?
Thank you.
Maybe i will do experiment like this too. Very nice!

Edited by Blackpepper, 30 March 2019 - 07:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests