• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mattys first ever Glog "Into the fire" 2019 season

Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my "Into the Fire" Glog!!

So I started my gardening hobby in my early 20's about 16 years ago now, and though I have played around with many types of flowers/vegis  tomato's is what most of my energy was put into. I loved alll the different colors and types that could be grown which really reminds me of all the exciting Chilli variety's that exist today. A couple seasons ago while looking for some info on a particular type of sweet pepper I stumbled onto a few videos of some people eating super hots (Ghost,Reapers ect..).  After looking into it a little more I figured this would be a very interesting thing to grow even just as a novelty since really no one in my area grows much if anything at all.

Last Winter I went and bought some seeds from Ebay..one was a mixed bag Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion...another was the Peter Pepper and the third was some type of Thai i believe. Only the Thai ended up growing true to type and the other 2 was a Cayenne and Ornamental. I was pretty disappointed when they did finally start putting out pods. It was around that time I started looking for a group or forum dedicated to Chillis, and luck would have it I found THP and all of you fantastic peoples.

Anyways with the boring back story outta the way I really planned ahead for this years grow....I built a 6'Hx6'Lx2'D grow box (not exact mesurments) which has 3 shelves and the middle one able to come out if I wnated to grow larger plants from the bottom tier. I went overkill on seed types making 3 decent size buys, 2 of which were 30+ from Garth at TexasHotPeppers and a smaller one from a fella in Arz.

I do not plan to grow all of these as my wife would kill me, but 20 or so might not be so bad.

The list:

Trinidad X strain
Pimenta Chris fat
Bonda Mahala
7 Pot Lava (Red)
Jays Choc Ghost Scorpion
Chachuca
Yaki Blue Fawn
BB7 Bhut Choc
Tobago Treasure
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Peach Bhut WM
Borg 9 Yellow
Arseclown Jolokia
Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow)
Tobago Seasoning
Arrowhead
Peachgum Tiger MAMP V1
Uraguay Seasoning
Reaper X SRTSL
Aji Charapita
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Reaper X BOC F3
7 Pot Moruga Scorpion
Choc Primo
BB7 Jobito Choc
Bad Brains
White Naga
7 Pot Pink
Tepin X Lemon Drop
Big Caramel Mama
Brainstrain X Reaper
Scotch Bonnet Long
CP115
Tangerine Hab
Big Yellow Mama
Monster Apocallise
Kraken Peach
Devils Tongue White
Bhutlah Lime X
Peach Bleeder
Jumbo Naga smooth
Jonahs Orange Nipple
Tiger bibi
Orange ghost Jami
Purple Reaper
Monkey Face yellow
Mustard reaper X
Peach Bonnet Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga Viper Choc
BBG 7 white
BBG7 midnight
komodo Dragon
Red Mazano
Bad Brains pepper
Infinity
Jonahs Yellow
Sepia Reaper
Macapa
JAFSH Black
Fialga Roxa
Sugar Rush x Mango
white lightening Bolt
PDN x douglah 2.3
7 pot burgendy
Bleeding Heart yellow
Nagabon X Yellow Primo (yellow)
Orange Yaky
Orange Fatlli Scorpion

That was my 2 buys from Garth (The above list)

This is the smaller buy from Negroni

Chocolate Reapers
Red Ghost Peppers
Butch Taylor Reaper
Chocolate Scorpion Pepper
Red and Yellow 7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Brain Strain
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Yellow Reaper

So would like to see some favorites and suggestions from the fine people here at THP so I can kinda get it down to a much much smaller grow list. Will also get some pics up shortly here of my grow box which still has one more shelf I need to wire up just waiting on a few more strip lights to arrive in the mail, but will still give an idea of what it will all look like when its done.

In final: This is a new hobby for me within the hobby I already enjoy...I am going to try some new things (new for me) and even the much earlier starts then normal will be interesting to see how it all comes out at the end.  I look forward to the input from the community and keeping this glog updated as much as I can.

Here is too success in 2019!!

CHEERS!

Matty

That's sick.

:rofl:

BTW, they don't call Oregon the Beaver State for nothing.

Fur trappers pretty much destroyed the ecosystem in
Oregon by trapping out all the beavers, which destroyed
the thousands of square miles of wet lands they created
and allowed for erosion to denude parts of the landscape.

But, happily, Beaver are making a comeback. Of course,
some people still want to kill them all, because they think
the land belongs to them...

PaulG said:
That's sick.

:rofl:

BTW, they don't call Oregon the Beaver State for nothing.

Fur trappers pretty much destroyed the ecosystem in
Oregon by trapping out all the beavers, which destroyed
the thousands of square miles of wet lands they created
and allowed for erosion to denude parts of the landscape.

But, happily, Beaver are making a comeback. Of course,
some people still want to kill them all, because they think
the land belongs to them...

You can tell when Paul has been 'Gloging'...my entire page has his avatar from top to bottom.

But I would tend to agree with you about the trappers who run lines they do cause alot of damage up and down the food chain, I will just leave it there.

So I was just creeping through your web page with all your packing pics, its soemthing I do alot of myself. The past 2-3 years with the kids being so small has not left alot of time to get out as much as I would like, as well I gave up winter camping when we moved up here since it's basically surviving and not camping at -30 to -40.

Topped a couple fellas who were getting too big for they're own britches, actually those 3 kinda looked like they had stretched abit on me and kinda want to keep that cycle as close as I can.

38NQX3U.jpg

qXPEUcF.jpg

Last night while my wife was at yoga it gave me a chance to pull the plants off the top shelf which makes a gi-a-normous mess I might add, and fix a few of the strips that got damaged when I put the top back on. It was my own fault for not waiting for help and trying to gently lay down a 60+lb piece of plywood above my head with percision. Any hoot they are fixed..think it was 3 needed to be totally replaced and another 3 which I cut out a few smds and clipped them back together. Also changed abit of the wiring as well.

CaneDog said:
Plants are looking a very healthy green matt!  I must have missed paul's packing/camping pics.  I'm a fan of all that hiking, backpacking, mountain biking and general outdoors stuff myself.  Used to hike in to beaver ponds to fish for trout quite a bit when I was a kid.  The trout were small, but abundant.

I was a tad concerned last week...I belive overwatering was a problem and frolm what I could find for pics it looked liek perhaps it was a nitrogen def from the overwatering. So I obviously cut that back and gave them a Foiler spray with a small shot of Epsom salts and my home brew calcium shot made via soaking the crap outta egg shells for a few weeks....

First I will add that my wife was pissed when I took the lid off the jar and the house smelled like rotton farts, and secondly they did not die and look not too bad which is a huge plus of course.

Oh and just take a look at Pauls profile he has a link on it to his pics.

CDNmatt said:

You can tell when Paul has been 'Gloging'...my entire page has his avatar from top to bottom.

I like Paul's avatar. For some reason it reminds me of Bigger Nipper, an Eastern Diamondback I took away from a couple of rednecks many years ago. They had her pegged for a wallet and a belt. She was a rare beauty and a lot more yellow than this picture shows.

umVtG8f.jpg

CDNmatt said:

You can tell when Paul has been 'Gloging'...my entire page has his avatar from top to bottom. Yeah, I know, some people need to get on the grow logs more often  :D

Like I told Shane, more time than money! Now that everything is in cups and squares, there seems to be a few more minutes each day  ;)

So I was just creeping through your web page with all your packing pics, its soemthing I do alot of myself. The past 2-3 years with the kids being so small has not left alot of time to get out as much as I would like, as well I gave up winter camping when we moved up here since it's basically surviving and not camping at -30 to -40. Yeah, that's too cold! The gnarliest we've been out in for a few days is 0˚F, and that's darn cold  :rofl: Usually my favorite snow camping/ski touring temps are 28-30˚F day, and 18-20˚F at night. Cold enough to keep the snow fluffy, but not brutal on the ol' bod!
DWB said:

I like Paul's avatar (It is a pic of a big ol' Yellow Seven, if I remember correctly - (Apply MarcV's signature here). For some reason it reminds me of Bigger Nipper, an Eastern Diamondback I took away from a couple of rednecks many years ago. They had her pegged for a wallet and a belt. She was a rare beauty and a lot more yellow than this picture shows.
Yes, indeed, a beautiful reptile. The pic is mesmerizing. Seven buttons, decent!

umVtG8f.jpg

PtMD989 said:
Plants are looking great [emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks boss appreciate that :cheers:

I did not realize this was your thread when i first read it back in the fall

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69663-saving-tomato-seeds/

I came across it again a few weeks ago while looking for alternatives other then the fermentation method which I have been doing for years.

How did you make out btw??

I tried a 50% bleach and 50% water soak for 30 mins and it worked out pretty good as well in my germ test after.
Was a page I found that had some other alternatives I will see if I can find it laters for ya for something you can try down the line if ya wanted.

And on the tomato line of talk I got 42 types into soak early this morning as well my final pepper soaks...bell and sweet peppers that is before anyone jumps on me eh :)

I need to renew some of my tomato seeds since 15 or so types were getting abit older now and very few left, as well I have some of the stuff I got from Garth on the go, a few of which are types I have never grown before

kk5pX0g.jpg

Is nothing fancy just a few different types of bells, some Marconis and mini bells ect that I will grow this year, almost all of what I have is form years past and anything I bought was on the hotter side of course.

I had great success on germination with the fermented seeds [emoji106]. I was only testing them, so I kinda let them wither away. I planted some ( fermented)tomato seeds on 2/14 they popped a week later [emoji16]. Up until I started fermenting tomato seeds, would just dry the seeds with their gel coat on a paper plate. Those germinated fine also. I guess there is more than 1 way to skin a beaver [emoji16].
I haven’t done any type of preplanting soak on my seeds, just put them in some potting soil and go.
No Boss here, that’s the misses, but sometimes she will let me pick the restaurant, but then she will veto my pick [emoji16]

PtMD989 said:
I had great success on germination with the fermented seeds [emoji106]. I was only testing them, so I kinda let them wither away. I planted some ( fermented)tomato seeds on 2/14 they popped a week later [emoji16]. Up until I started fermenting tomato seeds, would just dry the seeds with their gel coat on a paper plate. Those germinated fine also. I guess there is more than 1 way to skin a beaver [emoji16].
I haven’t done any type of preplanting soak on my seeds, just put them in some potting soil and go.
No Boss here, that’s the misses, but sometimes she will let me pick the restaurant, but then she will veto my pick [emoji16]

Fermentation was the way to go for me only becuase that is all I knew really since my dad did it as long as I can remember. I have used the paper plate/paper towel method before in a pinch I just found it a cleaner way to store a large amount of seeds with little worry of moisture and killing off any pathegons that may be on the seed.

BUT some seasons I would have jars all over the place cleaning off 20-30 types at a time at the very least, which my BOSS err wife did not enjoy so much, and since I was going to have a bunch this year I was kind of trying to find something that would give me similar results

PtMD989 said:
You grow 42 types of tomatoes? Holy cow!!!!

And oh gawd I probably could of had 25-30 on top of that if I wanted but will have to split it up over the next few years to keep the seed stock as fresh as I can.

DWB said:

I like Paul's avatar. For some reason it reminds me of Bigger Nipper, an Eastern Diamondback I took away from a couple of rednecks many years ago. They had her pegged for a wallet and a belt. She was a rare beauty and a lot more yellow than this picture shows.

umVtG8f.jpg

Soooooooooo you got these things floating around on your property Dee??

CDNmatt said:

Soooooooooo you got these things floating around on your property Dee??

I rescued this particular snake about four miles away but yeah, they seem to enjoy our place. In the 20 years at this property I've caught eight that were within feet of our house, garage or  porches. Not so much the past few years because land usage on the adjoining property closest to our house changed from cattle to crops.

heefy said:
Great Glog. Made for a fantastic read. Thanks.

Your plants look great too, very green and healthy. You must be very pleased with things so far?

Great to see such good results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Heefy and Aye very happy with things so far, and honestly I did not expect things to run as smoothly as they have to this point. This being the longest grow for me indoors I thought for sure I would have alot more issues, and hey I still could for that matter.

Hopefully April I will be able to get things out to the hoop house, even if its just during the day time it will help take the load off my space issues, especially with everything else getting planted from now till then.

CDNmatt said:

Thanks Heefy and Aye very happy with things so far, and honestly I did not expect things to run as smoothly as they have to this point. This being the longest grow for me indoors I thought for sure I would have alot more issues, and hey I still could for that matter.

Hopefully April I will be able to get things out to the hoop house, even if its just during the day time it will help take the load off my space issues, especially with everything else getting planted from now till then.
Yep. I think a lot of us have the growing space issues. I still have most of my other veg to sow yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back