• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mattys first ever Glog "Into the fire" 2019 season

Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my "Into the Fire" Glog!!

So I started my gardening hobby in my early 20's about 16 years ago now, and though I have played around with many types of flowers/vegis  tomato's is what most of my energy was put into. I loved alll the different colors and types that could be grown which really reminds me of all the exciting Chilli variety's that exist today. A couple seasons ago while looking for some info on a particular type of sweet pepper I stumbled onto a few videos of some people eating super hots (Ghost,Reapers ect..).  After looking into it a little more I figured this would be a very interesting thing to grow even just as a novelty since really no one in my area grows much if anything at all.

Last Winter I went and bought some seeds from Ebay..one was a mixed bag Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion...another was the Peter Pepper and the third was some type of Thai i believe. Only the Thai ended up growing true to type and the other 2 was a Cayenne and Ornamental. I was pretty disappointed when they did finally start putting out pods. It was around that time I started looking for a group or forum dedicated to Chillis, and luck would have it I found THP and all of you fantastic peoples.

Anyways with the boring back story outta the way I really planned ahead for this years grow....I built a 6'Hx6'Lx2'D grow box (not exact mesurments) which has 3 shelves and the middle one able to come out if I wnated to grow larger plants from the bottom tier. I went overkill on seed types making 3 decent size buys, 2 of which were 30+ from Garth at TexasHotPeppers and a smaller one from a fella in Arz.

I do not plan to grow all of these as my wife would kill me, but 20 or so might not be so bad.

The list:

Trinidad X strain
Pimenta Chris fat
Bonda Mahala
7 Pot Lava (Red)
Jays Choc Ghost Scorpion
Chachuca
Yaki Blue Fawn
BB7 Bhut Choc
Tobago Treasure
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Peach Bhut WM
Borg 9 Yellow
Arseclown Jolokia
Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow)
Tobago Seasoning
Arrowhead
Peachgum Tiger MAMP V1
Uraguay Seasoning
Reaper X SRTSL
Aji Charapita
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Reaper X BOC F3
7 Pot Moruga Scorpion
Choc Primo
BB7 Jobito Choc
Bad Brains
White Naga
7 Pot Pink
Tepin X Lemon Drop
Big Caramel Mama
Brainstrain X Reaper
Scotch Bonnet Long
CP115
Tangerine Hab
Big Yellow Mama
Monster Apocallise
Kraken Peach
Devils Tongue White
Bhutlah Lime X
Peach Bleeder
Jumbo Naga smooth
Jonahs Orange Nipple
Tiger bibi
Orange ghost Jami
Purple Reaper
Monkey Face yellow
Mustard reaper X
Peach Bonnet Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga Viper Choc
BBG 7 white
BBG7 midnight
komodo Dragon
Red Mazano
Bad Brains pepper
Infinity
Jonahs Yellow
Sepia Reaper
Macapa
JAFSH Black
Fialga Roxa
Sugar Rush x Mango
white lightening Bolt
PDN x douglah 2.3
7 pot burgendy
Bleeding Heart yellow
Nagabon X Yellow Primo (yellow)
Orange Yaky
Orange Fatlli Scorpion

That was my 2 buys from Garth (The above list)

This is the smaller buy from Negroni

Chocolate Reapers
Red Ghost Peppers
Butch Taylor Reaper
Chocolate Scorpion Pepper
Red and Yellow 7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Brain Strain
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Yellow Reaper

So would like to see some favorites and suggestions from the fine people here at THP so I can kinda get it down to a much much smaller grow list. Will also get some pics up shortly here of my grow box which still has one more shelf I need to wire up just waiting on a few more strip lights to arrive in the mail, but will still give an idea of what it will all look like when its done.

In final: This is a new hobby for me within the hobby I already enjoy...I am going to try some new things (new for me) and even the much earlier starts then normal will be interesting to see how it all comes out at the end.  I look forward to the input from the community and keeping this glog updated as much as I can.

Here is too success in 2019!!

CHEERS!

Matty

That's quite a list! there are things on there I've never even
heard of! Good luck deciding which 20 or so you want to try.
Given any thought as to what you will do with the peppers?
As for favorites...

From your list:
MOA Scotch Bonnet
7 pot burgundy

Not on yours, but my favorites for making smoked powders:
Yellow Scorpion
Jamaican Red Habanero
Chocolate and Red Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Fatali 

On the milder side:
Goat's Weed
Black Pearl/Chili Costa Rica (great powder/flakes)
Red Rocoto
Aji Amarillo

I'm not one for lots of crazy crosses. Very interesting
to see them on other's grow logs, but my preference
is for straight up true varieties, or at least as close as
my strains are. You seem like an adventurous person.

[SIZE=10pt]Hey Matt.  Sounds like you’re going to be set up well for coming season!  What did you end up deciding on for grow bags/ containers?  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Here’s 10 from your list I recommend you consider.  The “*” plants are part of my current winter grow, so I’ve committed valuable (and limited) indoor space to them myself.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]7 Pot Brain Strain*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]7 Pot Burgundy*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]7 Pot Chaguanas Red *[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Bahamian Goat Pepper*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Bonda Mahala*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]MOA Scotch Bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Peach Bhut WM*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Red Ghost Peppers*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Red Manzano[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Scotch Bonnet Long[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]And I’ll throw in a wild card - Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow).  Never grown this myself, but it’s an intriguing pepper and I’d be interested to see how it does for you.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Looking forward to seeing your plants grow true to type in 2019![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]CD[/SIZE]

Sorry for the slow reply fellas the holidays have me busier then a thai hooker on $2 Tuesdays :scared:

Some great picks from you guys...I would like to try to have a solid mix based on heat levels/flavors and even types that just straight up look badass and are cool to grow.

PaulG said:
That's quite a list! there are things on there I've never even
heard of! Good luck deciding which 20 or so you want to try.
Given any thought as to what you will do with the peppers?
As for favorites...

From your list:
MOA Scotch Bonnet
7 pot burgundy

Not on yours, but my favorites for making smoked powders:
Yellow Scorpion
Jamaican Red Habanero
Chocolate and Red Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Fatali 

On the milder side:
Goat's Weed
Black Pearl/Chili Costa Rica (great powder/flakes)
Red Rocoto
Aji Amarillo

I'm not one for lots of crazy crosses. Very interesting
to see them on other's grow logs, but my preference
is for straight up true varieties, or at least as close as
my strains are. You seem like an adventurous person.

I don't really have any big plans..will make some powders and maybe try a sauce and salsa BUT we have a fall fair here that can yield some decent prizes here and I have done pretty well in prior years with several entry's. I have never seen anything like a super hot before and think I will gear up good for that.

CaneDog said:
[SIZE=10pt]Hey Matt.  Sounds like you’re going to be set up well for coming season!  What did you end up deciding on for grow bags/ containers?  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Here’s 10 from your list I recommend you consider.  The “*” plants are part of my current winter grow, so I’ve committed valuable (and limited) indoor space to them myself.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]7 Pot Brain Strain*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]7 Pot Burgundy*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]7 Pot Chaguanas Red *[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Bahamian Goat Pepper*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Bonda Mahala*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]MOA Scotch Bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Peach Bhut WM*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Red Ghost Peppers*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Red Manzano[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Scotch Bonnet Long[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]And I’ll throw in a wild card - Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow).  Never grown this myself, but it’s an intriguing pepper and I’d be interested to see how it does for you.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Looking forward to seeing your plants grow true to type in 2019![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]CD[/SIZE]

SO far for the grow bags I have some 7Gs (10x) 5Gs (10x) and a bunch of smaller 3Gs that I will use for bells and other vegis. I also found about 7-8  milk crates that I will staple some weed fabric to and see how that works out. My dad also hasabout a dozen or so burlap bags I will try out as well not to mention all of the big buckets I already have. Will be lots to try out this year on top of  my inground/ raised garden beds.

So here is some pics of my grow box...I promised my wife that over the winter I would sand it down and stain it to make it look nice since I had to place it in the TV room. Lemme tell ya how unimpressed she was when she came home that day folks..... Anyways I went with strip lights after looking at Juanito's set up...mind you I went with a cheaper light then he has. Each shelf is about 450 actual Watts...no idea how many lumens and have a few different colors to try and get a fuller spectrum...also added one set of UV lights..whether they do anything or not
IMG_6263.JPG
IMG_6267.JPG
IMG_6269.JPG
IMG_6264.JPG
IMG_6266.JPG
IMG_6270.JPG

So most of the strips are SMD 5050s and the rest are 5730s...that back board is a piece of cardboard  ( which comes in and out)and smaller 3528s and 2835s just to use as kicker lights or even as more penetration to the lower canopy..I also have some blurple lights I can hand from the tops or 360 corn bulbs I can hang down if I wanted as well..not sure I will need it but it is an option.

So the top shelf will look much like that one shown and I am almost ready to start putting the strips in..probably over the holidays as most finally arrived this week I was waiting on. They are all powered from old PC power supply's that I found on the property when we took over a 2 years ago, was about 14 of them ranging from 100w to 400w's..as well I have a few nicer 500-800w's of my own I prolly wont even use unless needed. Though I do have a 500w hooked up for the top shelf via a breakout board.

CDNmatt said:

SO far for the grow bags I have some 7Gs (10x) 5Gs (10x) and a bunch of smaller 3Gs that I will use for bells and other vegis. I also found about 7-8  milk crates that I will staple some weed fabric to and see how that works out. My dad also hasabout a dozen or so burlap bags I will try out as well not to mention all of the big buckets I already have. Will be lots to try out this year on top of  my inground/ raised garden beds.

That's awesome Matt!  It sounds like you'll have a chance to evaluate a good number of different types and sizes and see how they work for you.  Really looking forward to your grow this season and hope to see some great pics.

Well so far the short list includes the types below since several are on at least 2 of the 3 and I think one or so on all 3.

7 pot burgendy
Bahamian Goat Pepper
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Scotch Bonnet Long
Bad Brains
Tepin X Lemon Drop
[SIZE=10pt]Bonda Mahala[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Red Ghost[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Peach Bhut WM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]More suggestions certainly welcome folks..I would like to add another 10  for sure...MAYBE a couple more but will have to see how space goes.[/SIZE]

CDNmatt said:

This year I am moving the important stuff all into pots. I started using pots last year and it was a good move forward. Now I have to roll back my germination dates. I will still try out an annum variety in the ground but anything over 100k for scovilles has to get thrown in a pot if it wants to see any chance of ripening. Maybe you can keep your in ground temperatures higher for longer than I can. 

I'm also putting more effort into targeted recipes for each pepper to justify my limited growing space. 

Zippy said:
This year I am moving the important stuff all into pots. I started using pots last year and it was a good move forward. Now I have to roll back my germination dates. I will still try out an annum variety in the ground but anything over 100k for scovilles has to get thrown in a pot if it wants to see any chance of ripening. Maybe you can keep your in ground temperatures higher for longer than I can. 

I'm also putting more effort into targeted recipes for each pepper to justify my limited growing space. 

I do have a 10x10 portable greenhouse that will certainly help alot as far as potted stuff goes to help keep the season longer. But for sure anything one can do in our climates up here to extend the season is a must...smaller hoop houses can be put over the garden beds, which I have a small one in place already but it prolly is not big enough for larger plants.

Our old house my set up was much better then here and I am pretty much starting over and building all new beds and landscaping the property. Anyone who has done so knows it takes years unless piles of money can be put in which sadly is not really an option at this point for us.

As far as which types...well its all new...I really have no clue what I like or do not so just getting my feet wet for a few years and maybe down the line some favorites will come to light.

CaneDog said:
I know I already played, but I somehow missed the Red Mazano last time.  Maybe add a Rocoto to the list...

Edit - whoops, my bad. I guess I did mention it.  Not mentioning it would have been a big oversight as fond of Rocotos as I am.

So maybe the Arrowhead pepper?? I could not find a ton of info on it elsewhere but when I used google this old thread came up from THP - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33650-arrowhead-peppers/

Back