#1 Captain Caliente

Captain Caliente

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • aka:Mo Bidniz

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:40 AM

Howdy gang. Was wondering about blenders. No complaints with a blender like vitamix. But what are hot sauce makers using to blend sauces in large quantities? Thanks for your advice.

The Flavor Behind The Heat

#2 juanitos

juanitos

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:32 AM

immersion blender (aka stick blender). can be used for any size batch and pot. batch stays in pot don't have to transfer anything to blender. less parts to clean. less time wasted. downside = having to stand there and hold the blender lol

https://www.webstaur...n-blenders.html

juanitospeppers.com - seeds, plants, fresh peppers

#3 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,553 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:42 AM

immersion blender (aka stick blender). can be used for any size batch and pot. batch stays in pot don't have to transfer anything to blender. less parts to clean. less time wasted. downside = having to stand there and hold the blender lol

https://www.webstaur...n-blenders.html

juanitos is exactly right cap'n.  I use this model and like it very much.  Currently I'm doing mostly 5 gallon batches at a time and this works well.  Should I scale into larger batches (a great problem to have) I'll upgrade or enlist the help of a copacker.

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#4 Captain Caliente

Captain Caliente

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:07 AM

I truly do like the idea of an immersion blender. Here is my dilemma. Each of the sauces I make require the perfect consistency depending on the sauce. When I cook the ingredients there may be more vinegar than I want in the final batch. So I blend the batch down until there is no more yummy chunks to blend. inevitably there is always leftover vinegar in the cook pot. As I blend it up, I put the mixture into another pot. Get it to temp and make sure the consistency is what it should be. Until I get better at exacting amounts of vinegar during the cook stage this is not a viable option.

#5 juanitos

juanitos

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:24 AM

hm i'm having trouble understanding what the problem is. 

the type of blender does not affect your amount of vinegar. remove it prior to blending if you want.

juanitospeppers.com - seeds, plants, fresh peppers

#6 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,787 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:22 PM

Blendtec beats the pants off of vitamix and immersion. I have all 3.

If all the recipes are by weight, it's easy to run all the raw ingredients thru the blendtec for a really smooth sauce from the start. I have easily used for 10 gallon batches.

For some sauces, maybe if it is fermented, a food mill might be the ticket.
PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#7 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,553 posts
  • (x9)

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

hm i'm having trouble understanding what the problem is. 

the type of blender does not affect your amount of vinegar. remove it prior to blending if you want.

Yeah I'm with juanitos again on this cap'n.  starting off with the right amount of vinegar means none left over in the original cook pot.

Seems more an issue with recipe than the equipment used, and I mean no offense with that statement.  :)

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#8 luvmesump3pp3rz

luvmesump3pp3rz

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,134 posts
  • aka:kevin

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:00 AM

i don`t make sauce yet but i can tell you immersion is the way to go. get your recipe down to a science as far as measurements and then blend it. my wife has a sunbeam immersion blender that is heavy duty like the kitchen aid blenders, it has to be 25 years old and works like the day she took it out of the box for the first time. i looked online and the ones they sell now are junk. look for a heavy duty blender and pay up for a good one and you will be happy with it. my wife uses it to puree soup bases of potato, beans, carrots and other veggies. beats transferring to blender and back to pot after. just my 2 cent ramble.  :cheers: 

#9 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,884 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:04 AM

If you are saying you need to add more vinegar than you want for the right consistency, then this goes back to that old argument you started about not adding water. Water is neutral. If you think there is too much acid but you have the right consistency, try water (sorry not sorry).

#10 mitchNC

mitchNC

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:27 PM

We had an expensive Ninja that only lasted a year with light use.

I don't have a Blendtech yet but my research points to that one.  My chef friend agrees.

#11 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:08 AM

juanitos is exactly right cap'n.  I use this model and like it very much.  Currently I'm doing mostly 5 gallon batches at a time and this works well.  Should I scale into larger batches (a great problem to have) I'll upgrade or enlist the help of a copacker.

Will this completely purée and liquify sauces? I also run 5 gallon batches when I dont use my co-packer. I have a weak immersion blender and need an upgrade. Also not looking to spend $400 but I see this one is on sale.

#12 Scoville DeVille

Scoville DeVille

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 17,262 posts
  • aka:Sofa King
  • Location:Middle of the top of the upper left corner of the lower 48
  • (x7)

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:54 AM

Will this completely purée and liquify sauces? I also run 5 gallon batches when I dont use my co-packer. I have a weak immersion blender and need an upgrade. Also not looking to spend $400 but I see this one is on sale.

I can't speak for him but I can certainly say that all of his sauces are very smooth, medium viscosity.

Can't go wrong with WARING.

#13 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:33 AM

I can't speak for him but I can certainly say that all of his sauces are very smooth, medium viscosity.

Can't go wrong with WARING.

Ok perhaps Ill give it a try. Thats what my co-packer uses as well.

#14 Scoville DeVille

Scoville DeVille

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 17,262 posts
  • (x7)

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:36 AM

I think the next step up from that WARING is this. :lol:

header-honda-outboard-BF100.png

#15 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:47 AM

I think the next step up from that WARING is this. :lol:

header-honda-outboard-BF100.png

ROTFL! Great one!

#16 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

I dont know. The Waring WBS40 is getting terrible reviews. Looks like most had to return it within 3-6 months. The WBS50 looks like it got better reviews but double the price. Although amazon has a 4 year protection plan for 10 bucks.... decisions.

#17 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,553 posts
  • (x9)

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:00 AM

Yes, that waring is pretty beastly.  :)

#18 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:23 AM

Yes, that waring is pretty beastly.  :)

How long have you had it for? It got pretty bad reviews on Amazon but i take reviews with a grain of salt. Some people will complain if things arent shipped in plated gold!

#19 Scoville DeVille

Scoville DeVille

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 17,262 posts
  • (x7)

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

Whiners be like, "why can't this thing make 40 lbs of peanut butter?"

Or, "I just tried to mix grout for my bathroom tile and smoke start leaking out".

:rofl:

#20 Captain Caliente

Captain Caliente

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:02 PM

If you are saying you need to add more vinegar than you want for the right consistency, then this goes back to that old argument you started about not adding water. Water is neutral. If you think there is too much acid but you have the right consistency, try water (sorry not sorry).

Hahah nice try. No..there will be no water in any of my sauces, ever. It's not that I need to add liquid, I don't want to use too much of the cooked liquid. Juanitos and SmokenFire are right about the exacting recipes. And some of my sauces have an exact formula. However, some of my techniques require me to cook extra vinegar. Thus, on some recipes there is always extra vinegar and I do not want to puree all of the liquid in the pot. So, I most likely would settle on two mixers. An immersion blender and a regular blender.

SmokenFire - Another question. On that immersion blender can you set the speed in such a way that some sauces get pulverized and some sauces end up with more a verde feel to them?  Thanks.

Edited by Captain Caliente, 23 December 2018 - 01:03 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blender

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests