• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Commercial Blender

Howdy gang. Was wondering about blenders. No complaints with a blender like vitamix. But what are hot sauce makers using to blend sauces in large quantities? Thanks for your advice.

juanitos said:
immersion blender (aka stick blender). can be used for any size batch and pot. batch stays in pot don't have to transfer anything to blender. less parts to clean. less time wasted. downside = having to stand there and hold the blender lol

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/14253/commercial-immersion-blenders.html

juanitos is exactly right cap'n.  I use this model and like it very much.  Currently I'm doing mostly 5 gallon batches at a time and this works well.  Should I scale into larger batches (a great problem to have) I'll upgrade or enlist the help of a copacker.

I truly do like the idea of an immersion blender. Here is my dilemma. Each of the sauces I make require the perfect consistency depending on the sauce. When I cook the ingredients there may be more vinegar than I want in the final batch. So I blend the batch down until there is no more yummy chunks to blend. inevitably there is always leftover vinegar in the cook pot. As I blend it up, I put the mixture into another pot. Get it to temp and make sure the consistency is what it should be. Until I get better at exacting amounts of vinegar during the cook stage this is not a viable option.

Blendtec beats the pants off of vitamix and immersion. I have all 3.

If all the recipes are by weight, it's easy to run all the raw ingredients thru the blendtec for a really smooth sauce from the start. I have easily used for 10 gallon batches.

For some sauces, maybe if it is fermented, a food mill might be the ticket.

juanitos said:
hm i'm having trouble understanding what the problem is. 

the type of blender does not affect your amount of vinegar. remove it prior to blending if you want.

Yeah I'm with juanitos again on this cap'n.  starting off with the right amount of vinegar means none left over in the original cook pot.

Seems more an issue with recipe than the equipment used, and I mean no offense with that statement.  :)

i don`t make sauce yet but i can tell you immersion is the way to go. get your recipe down to a science as far as measurements and then blend it. my wife has a sunbeam immersion blender that is heavy duty like the kitchen aid blenders, it has to be 25 years old and works like the day she took it out of the box for the first time. i looked online and the ones they sell now are junk. look for a heavy duty blender and pay up for a good one and you will be happy with it. my wife uses it to puree soup bases of potato, beans, carrots and other veggies. beats transferring to blender and back to pot after. just my 2 cent ramble.  :cheers: 

If you are saying you need to add more vinegar than you want for the right consistency, then this goes back to that old argument you started about not adding water. Water is neutral. If you think there is too much acid but you have the right consistency, try water (sorry not sorry).

SmokenFire said:

juanitos is exactly right cap'n.  I use this model and like it very much.  Currently I'm doing mostly 5 gallon batches at a time and this works well.  Should I scale into larger batches (a great problem to have) I'll upgrade or enlist the help of a copacker.
Will this completely purée and liquify sauces? I also run 5 gallon batches when I dont use my co-packer. I have a weak immersion blender and need an upgrade. Also not looking to spend $400 but I see this one is on sale.

pallottahot said:
Will this completely purée and liquify sauces? I also run 5 gallon batches when I dont use my co-packer. I have a weak immersion blender and need an upgrade. Also not looking to spend $400 but I see this one is on sale.
I can't speak for him but I can certainly say that all of his sauces are very smooth, medium viscosity.

Can't go wrong with WARING.

I think the next step up from that WARING is this. :lol:

header-honda-outboard-BF100.png

I dont know. The Waring WBS40 is getting terrible reviews. Looks like most had to return it within 3-6 months. The WBS50 looks like it got better reviews but double the price. Although amazon has a 4 year protection plan for 10 bucks.... decisions.

pallottahot said:

Yes, that waring is pretty beastly.  :)

The Hot Pepper said:
If you are saying you need to add more vinegar than you want for the right consistency, then this goes back to that old argument you started about not adding water. Water is neutral. If you think there is too much acid but you have the right consistency, try water (sorry not sorry).

Hahah nice try. No..there will be no water in any of my sauces, ever. It's not that I need to add liquid, I don't want to use too much of the cooked liquid. Juanitos and SmokenFire are right about the exacting recipes. And some of my sauces have an exact formula. However, some of my techniques require me to cook extra vinegar. Thus, on some recipes there is always extra vinegar and I do not want to puree all of the liquid in the pot. So, I most likely would settle on two mixers. An immersion blender and a regular blender.

SmokenFire - Another question. On that immersion blender can you set the speed in such a way that some sauces get pulverized and some sauces end up with more a verde feel to them?  Thanks.

Back