• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2019 the year of the Scotch Bonnet

I have more than enough SB seeds now, way more than I have room to grow for, so I decided to create a poll to let you people help me in selecting the most interesting varieties! :)

I'm not going to start my grow just yet, that will have to wait for somewhere in February. That is, if I can wait that long! :D

I want to limit my grow to 10 varieties. I can stretch this to 12 if absolutely neccessary but I prefer not to.

So let me know what you think!

I have the Alan Boatman TF going right now and it's doing super well.  Had really been looking forward to growing it.  Just a heads up that it didn't germinate well for me compared to my other contemporaneous starts, so if you go that route - which I recommend! - maybe start a few extras.

Looking forward to seeing how all 10 do for you.  Or all 12!   Or...?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I'm partial to P. Dreadie scoth bonnets myself. They are delicious, and very productive.

Actually the p dreadie was the first bonnet variety that got my attention and it's the one that hit me with the bonnet virus. It is also the first variety that I ordered. But I'm afraid this order must have gotten lost somewhere in the mail. It's been a month since I ordered it and it still hasn't arrived...

MarcV said:

Actually the p dreadie was the first bonnet variety that got my attention and it's the one that hit me with the bonnet virus. It is also the first variety that I ordered. But I'm afraid this order must have gotten lost somewhere in the mail. It's been a month since I ordered it and it still hasn't arrived...
You shouldnt have to Order Dreadie seeds...ill Mail you some of mine (questionable pheno), if Dale or
someone else doesnt chime in

MarcV said:

I don't mind sharing. PM me your addy, I got you buddy. I'm looking forward to seeing you grow these bonnies out next year!

Well, the seeds were ordered and I paid for them... I just contacted Refining Fire Chiles to report the missing seeds. They appear to be the only vendor that sells the Papa Dreadie...

MarcV said:
Well, the seeds were ordered and I paid for them... I just contacted Refining Fire Chiles to report the missing seeds. They appear to be the only vendor that sells the Papa Dreadie...

I've had nothing but good experiences with Refining Fire. I expect it's just a mix-up or shipping anomaly.

internationalfish said:

I've had nothing but good experiences with Refining Fire. I expect it's just a mix-up or shipping anomaly.
Marc stick with it - mail to the States from the UK is taking up to three weeks and I like you are still waiting on mail from the States ... good other forum members are willing to chip in with P. Dreadie if all fails contact me

Still... after I placed the Papa Dreadie order I placed 2 other orders from Refining Fire Chiles. Both other orders arrived about 10 days after I placed them. That gives me a feeling that the first order isn't going to arrive anymore. It's not like I don't trust RFC, just bad luck...

The current score so far... I have put the Papa Dreadie at the first place even though it is not in the list :)
  1. Papa Dreadie
  2. Cappucino - 7 votes
  3. Scotch Brains - 6 votes
  4. Freeport Orange - 5 votes
  5. Jamaican Long - 4 votes
  6. SB7J - 4 votes
And all the ones with 3 votes in alphabetic order:
  • Alan Boatman TF
  • Beth Boyd
  • Foodarama Yellow
  • MOA Yellow
  • Papa Joes
  • TFM
  • WHP

Nice list of bonnets - if these are all you go
with, it will be a very colorful grow! 

When will you put the seeds to germinate?

I will probably wait to somewhere in February to avoid having to deal with too large plants inside. It's going to be a long wait! :)

"It's going to be a long wait!"

Ha! I can't even wait until Jan. 1   :rofl:

I'm going to get mine going today or
tomorrow. 

Well, ok, maybe I'll start in January :D After all these are chinense while my previous grows were mostly annuums or baccatums.
A couple of years ago I started my grow in November. By February the plants were already so big I didn't know where to put them all...

At this time I already have 2 seedlings growing from the dried Mallorcan heirloom pods that I managed to get my hands on. They were only meant as a test germination but as the germination ratio was very low I decided to keep them.

Had I known about my bonnet plans back then, I would probably not have started those heirlooms at all...

Back