• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Heefys 2019 Grow (UK)

Rocotos, started in November. Chinense and baccatums have been started in December. Just some stragglers to sow now.

This year is much more balanced than previous years. So far I have around:

10 x c.annuum varieties. All yet to sow.

19 x c.baccatum varieties, including 13 of my own varieties/crosses at F1, F2 and F3 stages, if not further. All but a few of these are sown.

25 x c.chinense varieties, including 9 of my own crosses. Not all have germinated yet, so the figure may go down. Includes the first Chockwork Orange F2’s. A chocolate version of the Clockwork Orange.

9 x c.pubescens varieties, including 4 of my own varieties/crosses.

1 x c.fruxim variety of my own. Not sure I showed it to you. I had five seeds to work with and none of them looked viable. I now have 4 seedlings!

fea736cb97f155cd4677a81e74ffc268.jpg

I am still waiting on a few varieties from last year. CAP 306 c.baccatum is ripening, as are most of the wild varieties, Galapagoense, Flexuosum, Rhomboideum. These are in a tent and at low temps in a garage.

Things are up and running and going well.

All this years Rocoto have been potted on and look fabulous!

a48d9d4c841cffb45f3bb57d4925cd2d.jpg

Just waiting on the last few to loop and then plant the annuums in January or February.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the "balanced" grow with good variety, Heefy!  That will really keep it interesting throughout the season.  Young rocotos are great-looking plants and yours look really healthy, 

Seems like an early start for that number of plants at your latitude.  Will you plant out into a greenhouse or some other transitional structure?

Very interesting list including you own  crosses.
Will be looking forward to seeing some pics from
your grow.

The Rocotos look really nice. Wish I had room
for that many.  I'll have to settle for two...  ;)   

Always good to see a chili head neighbor
across the pond!

Nice to see a little winter color on those pods, Al.

:welcome:  to THP and grow season 2019!

CaneDog said:
I like the "balanced" grow with good variety, Heefy!  That will really keep it interesting throughout the season.  Young rocotos are great-looking plants and yours look really healthy, 

Seems like an early start for that number of plants at your latitude.  Will you plant out into a greenhouse or some other transitional structure?

I find that to get anywhere near a half decent haul from the pubescens, I need to start them early. They will stay in the insulated, heated shed until around April or May, when they are hardened off and then put in a poly tunnel or out in the garden.

As the chinense varieties finish off I often cull them and make room in the greenhouse for the Rocotos, when the weather turns cooler.

PaulG said:
Very interesting list including you own  crosses.
Will be looking forward to seeing some pics from
your grow.

The Rocotos look really nice. Wish I had room
for that many.  I'll have to settle for two...  ;)   

Always good to see a chili head neighbor
across the pond!
Thanks PaulG. Appreciate it. I will get some pics up soon.

A Spicy English Cheapskate said:
Rocotos are great, very resistant to cool weather. Heres some i picked last week. Most years they survive well into the new year for me. This year we've got them in a make shift unheated greenhouse so hopefully they'll overwinter till spring in there.

pBxZPfh.jpg
Good luck overwintering your Rocotos. I still have some leftover and almost forgotten Rocotos in the greenhouse now. We haven’t had more than a light frost in this area of the country yet. Very surprising. There is even two wild varieties still alive in there.

heefy said:
1 x c.fruxim variety of my own. Not sure I showed it to you. I had five seeds to work with and none of them looked viable. I now have 4 seedlings!

fea736cb97f155cd4677a81e74ffc268.jpg

Definitely an unusual variety! Does it stay green like that when ripe?

MarcV said:

Definitely an unusual variety! Does it stay green like that when ripe?
Yes it does. I left it and left it, just in case it was going to change colour. It should have been red, so something has happened along the way.

I last grew it a couple of years ago, so either the bees [emoji219] have been busy or the genetics have changed. I may find out more when it fruits this year.

Happy New Year all!

cfef26fbf6b0e05593c9c7760f871818.jpg

A dark leaved, yellow fruited version of my Gigante Rojo Brazilian. This time with the correct naming convention (in Portuguese). Discovered by a friend that grew it out, last year.

94d89af6f27169b9a17378de1bc998c4.jpg

Thanks Paul C.

I am really diggin your set up Heefy...very clean and efficient looking. Starts look great as well....Wishing you nothing but success for 2019 sir!  :party: 

Back