• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bike808 getting Dirty in Jersey

Well, it's that time of year where old fashioned folks are making resolutions, and I want to resolve to work on my GLOG consistently in 2019. 2018 was a great year, despite some considerable setbacks. I managed to grow far more chiles than I could ever hope to eat, so I gave tons away. In the end, a few disappointments aside, it was an overall successful season.

The same cannot be said for my GLOG. I neglected the fark out of my 2018 GLOG. This year, I want to post at least once a week, no matter what.

At this point, I don't want to post lists or anything because I have a herculean season ahead of me. See, I intend to overhaul my yard, build some beds, order up some topsoil and compost to fill then, amend the soil with all kinds of other Bullshit, and have all that done before it's time to plant out. Of course, before then, I'll need to have started all my plants and I'll need to know what I'm looking at in terms of density and (dis)organization. Hmmmph.

But, long story short, I'm learning from past mistakes. Only using the right kind seed starting soil. Going to be more diligent with my seeds as I sow them, to avoid leggy-azz seedlings. Harden off early but slowly, and methodically. Try to figure out fertilizers, and maybe develop and enact a strategy as far as that goes, rather than randomly dumping Alaska Fish Ferts on my plants whenever the whim hits me. In summary, take another step towards becoming a real gardener.

So, yeah, I plan on planting less densely this year, so I need to figure some shit out, but a GLOG ain't a GLOG if the first post doesn't include some name-dropping as far as intended varieties. This year will be my usual: far too many Yella Bonnets, a bit too many red, orange, and chocolate Bonnets, various Superhots of the Seven Pot and Ghost/Naga groups, some low heat Habs, many Jalapeños (strictly Zapotec this year), mild to mid Mexican kitchen staples, random other shit, and I have some baccatums to try out this year. (I bought a Bishop's Crown plant from CCN in 2018 and I'm stoked to try others now...)

Oh, and Fataliis. Plenty of those little yellow treasures. The best.

Thanks for reading. Oh, and if anyone wants to be my accountabili-buddy on this one, i'd appreciate it. Just making reminders in case I neglect my GLOG again, LOL...

-rob

Bicycle808 said:
Thanks for reading. Oh, and if anyone wants to be my accountabili-buddy on this one, i'd appreciate it. Just making reminders of I neglect my GLOG again, LOL...

-rob

I will make sure to remind you to post your progress. All the best Rob.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Bicycle808 said:
This year will be my usual: far too many Yella Bonnets, a bit too many red, orange, and chocolate Bonnets, various Superhots of the Seven Pot and Ghost/Naga groups, some low heat Habs, many Jalapeños (strictly Zapotec this year), mild to mid Mexican kitchen staples, random other shit, and I have since baccatums to try out this year. (I bought a Bishop's Crown plant from CCN in 2018 and I'm stoked to try others now...)

Of, and Fataliis. Plenty of those little yellow treasures. The best.

Rob, looks like you are doing a great spectrum of strains! I am excited to follow along and I am sure learn a lot!

Robot Mode said:

Rob, looks like you are doing a great spectrum of strains! I am excited to follow along and I am sure learn a lot!
Yeah, I am trying to expand. . . I mean, nobody has the garden space to grow them all. But I make an effort to keep things diverse. Otherwise, i'd probably just grow like fifty Bonnet plants, thirty Jalapeño plants, and maybe ten Superz. I have to resist my own boring impulses.

Oh, and i'd be honored if you learned anything from my GLOG but, fair warning, I teach primarily thru negative example, when it comes to gardening.

Sinn said:
Don't forget to take lots of pictures because you know 

:pics:
You're right, and that's always been a problem for me. I don't take many pics, and when I do, I seldom go thru the hassle of uploading to imgur and whatnot. But yeah, I ought to resolve to post more pics, too.

Not much to photograph now, aside from the grizzled little postage stamp that serves as my backyard. Kind of like a "before" pic until the soil is thawed enough to work with and I build some beds.... I also have a bed between my front steps and my neighbor's front steps. I definitely want to amend the soil there and plant it up, too... Preferably with something offensively pungent, to ward off any would-be snackin'-azz chile thieves...

I can definitely relate to ya, my glog last year sucked and definitely resolving to do better in 2019. I see your in Camden county NJ, I used to live in mount laurel, clementon and williamstown myself. That jersey soil does something to make veggies taste goood, look forward to seeing what you do this year brotha. Best of luck

Bicycle808 said:
So, yeah, I plan on planting lead densely this year, so I need to figure some shit out, but a GLOG ain't a GLOG of the first part doesnt include some name-dropping as far as intended varieties. This year will be my usual: far too many Yella Bonnets, a bit too many red, orange, and chocolate Bonnets, various Superhots of the Seven Pot and Ghost/Naga groups, some low heat Habs, many Jalapeños (strictly Zapotec this year), mild to mid Mexican kitchen staples, random other shit, and I have since baccatums to try out this year. (I bought a Bishop's Crown plant from CCN in 2018 and I'm stoked to try others now...)

Clicked in half expecting dirt bike pics! but not disappointed.  Great looking tease-list.  Safe to assume mild to mid Mexican kitchen staples will include Serranos...?

Hope you tear it up in 2019 and post it up as you do.

CaneDog said:

Clicked in half expecting dirt bike pics! but not disappointed.  Great looking tease-list.  Safe to assume mild to mid Mexican kitchen staples will include Serranos...?

Hope you tear it up in 2019 and post it up as you do.

I can probably throw up some mtb/klunking footage at some point during this season.... but nothing good just yet.  Mild to mid Mexican kitchen staples will ABSOLUTELY include Serranos.  I love Serranos, I really do, but I could probably live without them if I had to.  However, my friends/family enjoyed the Serranos so danged much last season, they'd probably never stop punching me if I left them out.  But, yeah, the mild to mid Mexican staples would be Jalapeños, Serranos, Guajillos, and Poblanos for sure.  Really good chance there'll be de Arbols and Pullas (Puyas?) as well, and i'm pretty close to ordering some Pasilla Negra/Pasilla Bajio seeds, too.  I went too hard on Supers and >/=Hab-level stuff these past 2 years, but my wife and I found the tamer stuff to be far more useful for, like, day-to-day cooking.  There is also greater potential for gifts to friends, but most all my friends/family who require milder chiles have already lost their trust in me.  Too much "it's not that hot; I swear" in instances where they ultimately didn't believe me....
Ghostpepperevolution said:
I can definitely relate to ya, my glog last year sucked and definitely resolving to do better in 2019. I see your in Camden county NJ, I used to live in mount laurel, clementon and williamstown myself. That jersey soil does something to make veggies taste goood, look forward to seeing what you do this year brotha. Best of luck
Oh, wow.  Yeah, you were really close to where I am at.  I grew up in Maple Shade, and went to Lenape Regional High with a bunch of y'all MtLaurel cats.  Definitely know Clementon and Williamstown well; we used to always do a bike ride along the railroad tracks (Atlantic Avenue) until we popped out by Clementon Park, then we'd climb the hill and turn around in the employee parking lot behind that super-exclusive golf course/country club at the top of Pine Hill....

I've been in NJ for most of my life, and the brief times I spent in other states (TN, VA) coincided with times in my life when I didn't give 2 shits about produce, gardening, or good food.  So, I guess I take the ol'Garden State's natural gifts for granted.  I think it's funny b/c I know a lot of local small-time gardeners who curse the South Jersey sandy soil, but I have never had any real problems with it.  My Mom has been a Jersey gal her entire life (excepting a brief stay in Phila); she can grow ANYthing, no problem, at every spot she's ever grown in.  She mostly grows herbs and ornamental stuff, but I successfully passed her a few extra seedlings last year, and scored extra pods out the deal.

Ruid said:
I enjoyed the South Park reference.
South Park is the best thing since Yella Fataliis.   :dance: 
clear.png
:dance:

Back