• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf Edges Turning Up

Uncle Eckley

Extreme Member
20190110_155923.jpg

Doesn't look right to me, but then, I don't know much yet.

You sound just like me, two years ago....

I don't remember what caused it, a shortage or an overabundance of some semi-pronounceable nutrient, but I do remember that as long as I didn't panic it would turn out good.

My plants tend to have a love-hate relationship with store bought sunlight too, but....

Hey UncleE.  Often water/heat related. The leaves are "canoeing" and presenting less surface area, probably to lessen the rate of transpiration from the leaves.  Are they staying evenly moist? Are they too close to the lights and perhaps too warm?  It can be other things, even over-watering, but with those guys being pretty young I'd lean toward those two initially.  It doesn't look bad at this point, but when the plants are in such small containers things can change more quickly.  A lot of these things get "cured" on pot-up when there's more soil to even out the conditions.

Thanks, guys.  I intend to pot up to 3.5" pots with 3:1 coco:perlite, got me a bottle of CNS17 grow.  They're getting right around 600 umol/s/m2 with the light at this height if I've done my figuring correctly.  Too much?

It's worse this morning.  I'm going to pot up and raise the lights a bit this afternoon.  Will report in a couple few days.

CaneDog said:
Hey UncleE.  Often water/heat related. The leaves are "canoeing" and presenting less surface area, probably to lessen the rate of transpiration from the leaves.
How about humidity? I'm pretty low - 24%. Lessen the rate of transpiration..

Culled and potted up this afternoon. A few look better already.

Lower humidity should make the problem worse because the dry air is sucking out the moisture so sure, higher humidity could help.  I think around 40% is typically where my main room hovers - but it's not like I don't still have funky leaf curl stuff happen from time to time too. Also, once you have bigger pots and plants and more moist soil and such in an enclosed area your humidity should increase some.

Usually when I see minor issues like your small amount of leaf curl I kinda look to all the basics and just try to be sure I'm doing things right.  I try not to make big reactions. Hopefully they'll grow fine after the pot-up - I think it was the right move.  If the curling does continue, it will be much easier for you to evaluate and adjust the watering with a slightly larger container.

I can't tell what all you have there, but I see some MOA bonnets. Are you posting grow pics in another thread? I thought I'd seen you post about your grow elsewhere, but I just finished a long work day and can't remember ATM.  It would be cool to see more about your grow and pics of them after pot-up. 

Good luck!

I agree higher humidity should help. I cut the bottom off a coke bottle and place it over the plant to keep the humidity up while they are seedlings. I leave the lid off though so I dont risk molds.

Back