326 replies to this topic

#21 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

Progress pic. Some things have moved, everything has grown. Added another vodka bottle. The six seemingly empty pots are two of each of the three new SBs.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190125_173315.jpg

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

Cappuccino hook.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190126_161422.jpg

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#23 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,048 posts
  • aka:Bhuthead Andy

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

Nice!

#24 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

Baby Dreadie this morning.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190127_090101.jpg

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#25 CDNmatt

CDNmatt

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • aka:Matty

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:13 AM

Your gonna need to keep drinking alot more vodka with all these new plants Eccoli...

Do you have a dog or cat?? I only ask cause I get hair liek that in my medium from the bloody dogs or is that just part of the mix?

Edited by CDNmatt, 27 January 2019 - 11:14 AM.

cdnmatt- Season 2 has started..Into the Fire I go

#26 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:11 PM

Your gonna need to keep drinking alot more vodka with all these new plants Eccoli...

Actually I'm going to need a lot more plants..  :shh:

Do you have a dog or cat?? I only ask cause I get hair liek that in my medium from the bloody dogs or is that just part of the mix?

I've got two dogs, but that's part of the coco coir.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#27 DWB

DWB

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • aka:DW

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

You have to look at that hair everywhere as part of your fiber program.

#28 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

Are you gonna plant in the dirt when you move them outside?

Encouraged by my brief experience with the vodka bottles, I'm thinking of growing these guys Kratky in half-gallon jars and/or 5-gallon buckets.  I just found a bunch of nice black buckets with lids at Home Depot.  

Will see how many I can get away with under my light, move them outside if I start to have problems.  Or buy another light, I guess.  Is it insane to think I might be able to keep them pruned smallish?  I'm afraid of bugs and don't need bushels of chili peppers, anyway.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#29 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:05 PM

Everyone needs bushels of peppers. Just saying.

Got your package today! Thanks, I might have to try those out next year.

#30 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

You are most welcome.  I'm glad it made it; I was beginning to worry (ha!).

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#31 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

Weekly update.  Everything is still (mostly) green and growing, but I'm having some problems next to my chair.  Diagnoses, please!

Here's everybody under the light.  All three new SB varieties are up.  I've got the humidity in the room up to around 40% - sometimes a bit lower - but I'm still seeing the slight cupping.  I now suspect the problems I'm seeing are down to something I'm doing wrong with my watering or feeding.  I'm mixing 15mL of CNS17 Grow into a gallon (as per the directions on the bottle) of RO/DI water, testing and adjusting up with GH pH kit, shooting for 6.5.  I've been watering with the nutrient solution every time (again, per the directions) the pots are so light I can hardly imagine there's much moisture left.  I've been watering far more infrequently over the past few days, though, and I've still never seen a plant seem like it's starting to wilt, so maybe I've been watering too much..

20190201_122522.jpg

This is an MOA Scotch bonnet.  He's turgid, but droopy.  The leaves are sort of textured, bubbly-looking.  I'm seeing this drooping and leaf texture with several of my plants.  The drooping seems more pronounced at the end of the day, least at the beginning.  Could it be heat?  Temps are mid-70s with light, upper-60s without light.  Or light intensity?  The light is 18 inches above the top of the tallest plants.

He's also not growing much foliage-wise, though the roots have been growing like crazy since he's been in the bottle.

20190201_121929.jpg

Here's another MOA.  Deformed leaves, cupping  I bet he'd be droopy, too, if he wasn't so close to the pot.

20190201_122017.jpg

NuMex Twilight.  One of my healthier-looking plants.  A little cupping, some discoloration (closer view in the next pic).

20190201_122232.jpg

Closer.  Yellow spots.  Cupping.

20190201_122238.jpg

Cayenne.  Major drooping at the end of the day.  Slight cupping.  Very slight discoloration like the Twilight shows.  Little flower buds up top?!

20190201_122340.jpg

Same cayenne, different angle.

20190201_122409.jpg

Reaper.  This guy's the worst off by far.  Looks pretty bad to me.

20190201_121821.jpg

Last one.  This leaf was dropped by the Amazon Special in the vodka bottle.  I'm seeing the beginnings of this in a few places on a few plants.  It's yellower than it looks in the photo.

20190201_082254.jpg

Edited by Uncle_Eccoli, 01 February 2019 - 01:17 PM.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#32 DWB

DWB

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • aka:DW

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

Most of them look pretty good to me. I've seen the yellowish areas in my plants before. I don't think it's a big deal.

The leaves will wilt in the summer sun and heat during the day but will straighten out later in the day.We're talking full sun on the gulf coast. I don't think that's happening next to your chair. What I've noticed in my very short tenure with LED arrays is the leaves will bleach out, darken, dry out and just generally get weird colors if the light is too close. I think my 1200W LED may fry plants at a stationary 18" altitude.

The reaper looks like hell. Nothing to say about that one. Do you see any tiny bugs under the leaves?

Edited by DWB, 01 February 2019 - 03:14 PM.

#33 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:38 PM

Nope, no bugs.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#34 CDNmatt

CDNmatt

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • aka:Matty

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

Hmm Edema perhaps?? Just guessing of course...Do you have a fan on them at all bud?

cdnmatt- Season 2 has started..Into the Fire I go

#35 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:30 PM

The ceiling fan's going pretty good.  The plants sway a bit in its breezes.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#36 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:58 AM

Might add a fan.

Your fertilizer has calcium and magnesium? It seems like I remember reading that low levels of one of those can cause issues. I wasn't sure if I was overwatering, had my light too close, or had a deffeciency last year so I just changed all three. I think I added more fans too.

#37 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 08:01 AM

Oh and are you getting the leaves wet when you water? Maybe try bottom watering.

You might research bacterial leaf spot too, but I don't really think that's what it is

#38 Mr. West

Mr. West

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:09 AM

I would guess the blotchiness of the numex twilight is slight edema. Get a small fan blowing directly at them from the side so they can transpire more water. A ceiling fan won't disrupt the boundary layer of leaves. Especially if the plants stay close together under your light. The dense foliage will contain too much humidity.

Product analysis for your fertilizer. Ca:Mg levels are ok. Maybe it's a micronutrient deficiency brought on by the Manganese. That's the only micro listed in the nutrient profile. Usually it needs to be balanced with iron 1Mn:2Fe, but the Reaper and the amazon special look more like copper deficiency affecting the tips and margins of newer leaves. That's just an oddball guess. I don't know this for sure.

Enjoy the links lol

#39 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:12 AM

I've actually had a little oscillating fan sitting there all along, but up until now it's brutalized the poor little fellers so I've relied on the ceiling fan.  I left the oscillating fan on last night, about to go in and see if they've all blown over.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#40 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:15 AM

Enjoy the links lol

I will for sure.

Thanks, all!  Will report back in a few days.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests