164 replies to this topic

#161 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

Uncle E, your grow's been great to follow and I hope you're getting a good plan together for your outdoor logistics. Looking forward to seeing nature pitch in and do some of the heavy lifting for you.  

Thanks!  I still don't know what I'm going to do.  I'd like to hang a sheet of plywood over the edge of the deck rail for a platform, but the wife's not into the white net tent being up there.  I'll probably limb up a couple trees, sit some containers on the ground, plant a couple in the ground, mosquito tent for birds and what bugs I can deter, then chicken wire or something around that for the bunnies.  I still haven't entirely discounted the idea of building a platform to hoist up to the eaves, but I doubt I'll end up doing that.

Some will stay next to my chair under the light, just not sure which.  Almost certainly the Freeport Orange SB in the bucket will stay inside.  

From way up here atop this page, though, anything seems possible.

Edited by Uncle_Eccoli, 19 March 2019 - 12:37 PM.

Patience is for the dead.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#162 CDNmatt

CDNmatt

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • aka:Matty

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

Eccoli my friend, do you do any other gardening or is this more of a first time for everything situation your going through ??

I only ask cause I am just curious if you have had a pest issue before or if it has just built up from reading stuff online or in here?

And this is just my personal opinion here.....

Though everyone at some point will have to deal with certain types of pest they are somethign I would not put alot of worry into until it happens...At which time it does you can remedy most issues pretty easily, especially if caught right away when it comes to bugs. And though animals can be a PITA at times, they are even less of a worry for most gardens.

If your growing mostly in pots, which sounds like you are?? then you have the ability to put them up or away even if need be away from any threats.

THP and sites like it are fantastic and provide huuuuuuuuuge amounts of great information but at the same time your climate is YOUR climate and may differ from joe even just 30 mins away in all directions.

Long story short man just play it out...deal with problems as they arise and don't stress over tents and chicken wire for now.

Again just my own opinion here others may differ from my own

cdnmatt- Season 2 has started..Into the Fire I go

#163 CaneDog

CaneDog

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

That's a good point Matty.  I was reading the first post way atop this page and thinking the same thing.  Unless there's a history of issues, I'd probably avoid those things that stand out in the interest of domestic harmony and having more plants in better and easier to access locations. 

Pests can be an issue, but I don't usually take much in the way of proactive measures and rarely have significant problems - in fact, I will probably do absolutely nothing for protection when I plant out this year.  I would be careful with very young plants against rabbits or what not, a little fencing or inverted 2-liter bottle with the cap off until they get situated maybe or just don't put them out right away, and birds or whatever will often scam a pod or two, but pests are rarely a disaster unless you ignore the clear signs.

#164 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:26 PM

That all makes perfect sense.  I have very little gardening experience and am pretty much totally winging it excepting the guidance of THP. 

The suggestion is to go ahead with the deck rail platform as I'd prefer, leaving off the tent to keep the wife happy, right? 

Patience is for the dead.

#165 CDNmatt

CDNmatt

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • aka:Matty

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:50 PM

If your going to go ahead with the platform then aye leave out the tent for sure is my suggestion. The great thing about pots is you can move them around in and out of the sun as needed, this helps at times when things get super hot and you can move stuff into the shade or partial sun.

And listen I get it when the mind starts rolling after looking at other glogs or websites, and then you start to question yourself or whatever you have been doing. I just try and save the stress for when it looks really bad....that goes for anything I grow.

cdnmatt- Season 2 has started..Into the Fire I go

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests