• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mint as an Aphid and other insect detterent?

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I've read that Mint will deter aphids and other insects. I started some Mint about 2 weeks back and going to give it a try.

Ive got 13 varieties of mint growing in my garden as well as other herbs (very sad I know) and its bnever stopped these little sods infesting my chile plants.

Mark

I've never heard that either but it's great to have arounfd for Mint Julips and Mojitas....we always grow plemty of mint!

imaguitargod said:
Never heard that myself...but I too have some mint in the backyard growing...actually taking over is more like it. :roll:

From what I've read that stuff does take over and grows like a weed but when I was in FL, I could'nt even get Mint started **LOL** I mean there was "ZERO" signs of growth.
I started it this time in one of those peat pellet type containers under Gro-lights and it's taking off fairly decently. It would be doing better but my Pepper plants had dibs on the light.

My backyard is overrun with wild strawberries. Thinking mixing in some blueberries next year **LOL** j/k

I think they may help some. Many bugs and other pests are repelled by many different pungent plants, and the 'companion planting' methods recommend lots of herbs. We have mints, catnip, sage, rosemary, chives, thyme, nepitella, lavender, etc. all around our raised beds and usually plant thick patches of marigolds and mums around too (rabbits don't like those). Once in a while, I'll take a handful of marigolds or mints or even onion greens and cut it up in the pathways and open spaces in the bed. Tomato plant prunings should also work fairly well. Just remember: if the bugs start a serious infestation, pull the plants and grow something different there for a few years. OR, use pyrethrin/rotenone and disregard the previous advice! brookthecook

imaguitargod][quote=Tina Brooks said:
The best thing for aphids are lady bugs.
Ahmen! Getting the lady bugs to stay around after the next day is the tricky part tho. I still have a bunch that hung out from last year.[/quote]

They're cheap, you can buy them at the local plant store.

T

Tina Brooks][quote=imaguitargod][quote=Tina Brooks said:
The best thing for aphids are lady bugs.
Ahmen! Getting the lady bugs to stay around after the next day is the tricky part tho. I still have a bunch that hung out from last year.[/quote]

They're cheap, you can buy them at the local plant store.

T[/quote]
Ya, it's usually about $13 for 500 or so.

Don't be getting those damn biting lady bugs tho'. They were brought in for pest control and have become major pests themselves. Harmonia axyridis... grrrr. And I have nothing nice to say about mint. I have a garden full. It's very hardy!! Nothing else grows but MINT. ;-)

I've heard about the Lady Bug route but as GuitarGod pointed out..... What recommendations does everyone have for keeping them in the garden for more than a day or two?

LifePincher said:
I've heard about the Lady Bug route but as GuitarGod pointed out..... What recommendations does everyone have for keeping them in the garden for more than a day or two?

Take away their temporary visas. Oh wait, they probably don't have any. :roll:

LifePincher said:

Glue.

They'll stay as long as there are aphids. They only leave to find food and mate. (typical dudes - why are they called lady bugs??) Put out a beer for them and maybe a little T.V. and they'll be all set. :-)

Most people want to get rid of lady bugs, as they swarm and take over houses. Getting them to stay shouldn't be a problem, but like I said, if all the aphids are gone, they either go, or die. Oh, and lady bugs WILL eat fruit if there's no aphids left to eat. It's like a 32oz steak or a salad to us. Which would you rather have? LOL!

Cap said:
What recommendations does everyone have for keeping them in the garden for more than a day or two?
Duct tape.

But if you are out of duct tape(then what's wrong with you?) sugar water. Before placing the bugs out at night, spray some sugar water around the dirt of the plants that you want them to attack. In the morning do it again, and repeat at night. That should help them to stay around(for at least two days).

LifePincher said:

Get more aphids. lol!

Seriously, when you introduce them to the garden, some of them will be lazy enough to find a nest nearby. They will hibernate over the winter and come back in the spring. As long as you have aphids, they'll stick around.

And if they don't... It's because you have no more aphids.

T

I discovered aphids all over 3 of my plants today even though they're indoors. Pain in the ass.

Garlic is meant to be a good deterrent for aphids which I'm happy with since I use tons of the stuff so it'll be nice to have my own supply, plus they grow really easily.

If you want to keep ladybirds/ladybugs in your garden then growing nettles is meant to be a good way since apparently they get their own species of aphids that don't attack other plant types and that will supply a source of food for them.

Back