• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Cooking on the Pit Boss Copperhead pellet smoker

It was on sale so I had to buy it for $199.00. 1/2 price at Wally World so go find it if you need one. This thing comes with a 5 year warranty and I added another 2 years through Walmart for $16.  Enter your zipcode and snag one!! https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=876324460

This thing is huge, it has 5 racks 22" wide by 14" deep, big enough to hold full size aluminum pans. There's no electric or gas heat, it actually burns the pellets.

I broke it in last night with a rack of ribs smoked 1.5 hours at 300 using hickory pellets, 1 hour wrapped and 30 minutes unwrapped, not bad for 3 hour ribs. I didn't trim the rack and the dog loved the tips!! There was only a slight smoke flavor but next time I'll follow directions and actually smoke them instead of baking them.

This this also cooks up to 450F so I'll also try a few pizzas.
100_3861.JPG

100-3858.jpg

100-3859.jpg

100_3860.JPG

Rajun Gardener said:
It was on sale so I had to buy it for $199.00. 1/2 price at Wally World so go find it if you need one. This thing comes with a 5 year warranty and I added another 2 years through Walmart for $16.  Enter your zipcode and snag one!! https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=876324460

This thing is huge, it has 5 racks 22" wide by 14" deep, big enough to hold full size aluminum pans. There's no electric or gas heat, it actually burns the pellets.

I broke it in last night with a rack of ribs smoked 1.5 hours at 300 using hickory pellets, 1 hour wrapped and 30 minutes unwrapped, not bad for 3 hour ribs. I didn't trim the rack and the dog loved the tips!! There was only a slight smoke flavor but next time I'll follow directions and actually smoke them instead of baking them.

This this also cooks up to 450F so I'll also try a few pizzas.
attachicon.gif
100_3861.JPG
100-3858.jpg

100-3859.jpg

attachicon.gif
100_3860.JPG
I just used the link. Must be a limited area price as it shows it at $446 anywhere within 100 miles of me.

I played with the new toy again today. Smoked a chicken at 275 for about 3 hours, thigh temp was 178 when I pulled it. It was juicy as can be and tender but I need to work on getting the skin crispy.

I tied up the legs and wings to cook it on a stand and this happened.
100_3866.JPG

Besides the ugly man boobs the chicken was awesome. Very moist!
100_3873.JPG

I also had roasted squash, beans and corn to get my vitamins in. That's a thigh cut in half next to the squash and sliced breast on the side, both were like butter.
100_3870.JPG

Yesterday was nasty, windy and cold but the smoker held up and it was nice not having to load wood and tend a fire. This was more of a test cook to see how it works on the smoke setting before I try sausage and it didn't disappoint. 

I made tasso and smoked it for 6 hours. It's packed up and ready to use, I'll use some today in a gumbo for the Saints game.

I made a brine and let it sit for 2 days then seasoned it heavy and into the smoke bath.
100-3901.jpg

100-3902.jpg

100-3903.jpg

100-3904.jpg

The result is a spicy cured ham that's used more like a seasoning than a meat. It's great in beans, jambalaya, gumbo and greens. It doesn't take much to give a dish a seasoned smokey flavor.
100-3911.jpg

100-3914.jpg

RG. Would you share a more detailed breakdown on the Tasso? I have faked my own recipe for it in the past, and it was good but I would love to make a more true style version.

Cut of pork used. Maybe Seasoning ingredient main hitters if you don't want to give out exact proportions.

:cheers:

Back