• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shishto Peppers at supermarket

Hi guys.

Are these hot at all or just for cooking?
Never seen these before.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20190117_120931~2.jpg
    IMG_20190117_120931~2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 82
Saw them @ Stop & Shop last week....here's some info: that may help...not one I have grown yet.

shim.gif

Shishito

Capsicum annuum

t083sweetpepperpetitstar.jpg

Shishito​

Seed #083

This medium early, small, sweet, thin-walled glossy green pepper is popular in Japan. The fruits grow up to 3-4" long. Plant has a spreading habit and produces prolifically. Good for garden, greenhouse, and open field growing.

• Warm season annual
  • Approx. 75-85 seeds in packet. (A seed will vary in weight and size within a given seed lot. The number of seeds stated is only an estimate.)
  • Maturity: Approx. 60 days
  • Planting season: Late spring/summer

What? In Seattle?  Heck, I've found Shishtos here in Salem. 
CaneDog said:

Pepper roulette!   Fushimi is another of the Japanese peppers I find intriguing.  Haven't seen either at any local stores, unfortunately.

Orekoc said:
What? In Seattle?  Heck, I've found Shishtos here in Salem. 

Yeah, you're right.  I know a couple stores that would likely have them if I went looking - pretty sure Uwajimaya would.  Just haven't noticed them at the QFC's and such.  Saw them at the farmers' market this summer and wish I'd picked them up because I'd be growing them this season if I had.  Maybe I'll take a look around and see what else I can find too.

Toss your shishito in a bit of oil, give them a quick broil, throw them a dash of salt, and eat them warm. A lot of recipes have you cooking them for what I'd call way too long.

I really enjoy them tempura, too, but tempura is really hard to do well at home.

Shishito are the only peppers I can actually find seeds for in gardening stores here; it's obnoxious. They don't even carry the more interesting Japanese peppers like fushimi (which, interestingly, shows up in Seattle in the Recently Spotted section of this page).

Damn iFish, you hit the nail on the head.  Wanted to grow those 2 varieties and try those 2 preparations in particular, but soooo many varieties on my current list that they'll probably slip a season.  Cool to see the Fushimi shows up fresh locally. Wish I'd known it at the time!

CaneDog said:
Damn iFish, you hit the nail on the head.  Wanted to grow those 2 varieties and try those 2 preparations in particular, but soooo many varieties on my current list that they'll probably slip a season.  Cool to see the Fushimi shows up fresh locally. Wish I'd known it at the time!

I'd probably just put an occasional call in to (or stop by) markets that might have them, and if you can get them ripe (they ripen to red, but both are usually eaten green, at which point I'm not sure how viable the seeds would be), try just saving seeds until you have room for more plants.

Good point. For whatever reason it just didn't occur to me that I'd be buying them green for eating, with immature seeds.  Sometimes at the farmers' markets they'll have reddening ones mixed in with the green-eating varieties, but I'll probably just buy the seeds. Sandia has both at a decent price.

The Hot Pepper said:
These are best served blistered, which is done on a hot surface like a griddle. Then served with sea salt and bonito flakes (which is traditional)... oh and lemon... that's how I like em.

Definitely worth a buy.

OR do what int-fish said about the broiler. ;)

internationalfish said:
A lot of recipes have you cooking them for what I'd call way too long.

Totally agree! They don't need to be roasted. Charred until they wilt, done.

CaneDog said:
...but I'll probably just buy the seeds. Sandia has both at a decent price.

Ah, perfect then. I'm germinating them now (mine are slow so far, with one goronong and about six J bell pepper seeds having already breached after starting at the same time). Interested to see what shishito taste like ripe; I want to see why people prefer them green. Or it'll just be another fun "why is the foreigner eating the food wrong" moment. :D

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`
Heat wise yes, character wise, other than both being C. annuum, no.

Shishito is Asian, Padrón has European roots.

I find the shishito to be a little more thin walled than padron, though their taste/heat/uses are similar.

Treat shishito and/or padrons like italians or spaniards do and blister them over high heat w a bit of salt & olive oil and serve with some toasted bread on the side or on a sandwich with eggs.

I think Padrons are slightly hotter on average.  Both make a wonderful giardiniera.    

I'm glad a ran across this thread.

I grew a Shishito this year, but I ended up throwing many of them away, primarily because I had no idea when to pick them and what to do with them.

I kept waiting for them to ripen up.  They will eventually ripen up to a nice red color, but they wilt really fast at that point.

Back