• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

juanitos 2019 grow log

[SIZE=11pt]Welcome to the JuanitosPeppers 2019 glog[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Thanks to all the long time readers and people who followed last year. I hope to make this glog a little bit better![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I’ll try to do weekend update format with photos and captions. I’ll be happy to answer questions or discuss growing during the week too. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Last year was pretty successful. [/SIZE]
reFaxfD.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Saved lots of seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]
BrkpmK6.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I spent all winter break thinking about what varieties i wanted to grow. I want to keep a good balance of flavor, heat, color, species, cost, size. Looking to expand my seed stock so i’m growing a couple collections (brainstrain, ghost) also trying a couple wilds for fun, a few mild peppers for normal people, and the best medium peppers (moa, bahamian goat). Can follow along to see everything[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I like doing bulk starting in medium(soilmix). It means i only plant the successful seeds, no volunteers or weak seedlings, no wasting extra seeds, no culling. Medium is a bit easier to manage as it will separate easier than a paper towel. Also you can leave them in the medium for a bit longer. [/SIZE]Just keep them in a warm 75-85 temp range for a week or so and we’re ready to transplant into pots.
J0ya1xJ.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]While those are resting got the growing space ready.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Made sure the led strips are still running from last year, had to repair a few[/SIZE]
DTnQLX1.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Cleaned up the trays and reservoir and ordered pots / trays, started putting soil in[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]
pyZooDW.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]More to come… Thanks for following![/SIZE]

15 days later we've got sprouts, time to transplant.
EWI4ufe.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Got my medium from a local nursery. It is much easier to just get a pre formulated mix. These guys are experts at building soil they research it, have degrees in it, talk to hundreds of other farmers they will have more experience than most of us will ever have. They buy in bulk to keep cost down and mix it all for you so you don’t have to do extra labor. I make sure to get mix from a local company that provides professional growers, not a retail chain. You want a mix that is good for starting vegetables and you want it to be fast draining / high porosity.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]I am using Berger BM7, no amendments as i will use hydro nutrients.[/SIZE]
Cv4o0rN.jpg

HnUahBL.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Load the pots and finger a hole ;)[/SIZE] 
Throw a sprout in there and repeat a few thousand times
7ucwVu8.jpg

BdBNrAo.jpg

ZCCHe8Q.jpg

more sprouts next!

started more in pots into trays with humidity domes.
the humidity dome really keeps them nice and damp don't have to worry about them drying out. The humidity also helps prevent helmet heads by keeping the seed casing soft, easy for the sprout to push it off.

average i'm seeing about 10 days to sprout. some like the habanero paper lantern only taking 5 days, others like the brainstrains taking 15.

kItcLYy.jpg

this guy looks like shrug emoji ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
XZmclQD.jpg

the growdown (thp and plc) starts
Zn7jHTr.jpg

i love these hairy guys!!
vBiR0z2.jpg

zgC3u4P.jpg

ZNiRofl.jpg

DWB said:
Interesting. You just yank those sprouts and plug them into new pots and they do ok without a lot of loss?

I was gonna post it but he already did a link to his videos which shows it DW...I am gonna try it with some of my lesser valued seeds from Ebay ect so no worries if I screw anything up.

Look forward to following you again this year Jaunitos...already stole some of your ideas for my own set up but to a lesser extent on my end.

Not too much going on lately, letting the plants that i have planted get comfortable in their new pots.
Transplanting the late starts as they pop up.

Since most people have trouble growing rocotos i figured i'd try to grow minis.
Smaller peppers usually fruit faster / easier so hoping it goes well.
zoiNJoqO.jpeg

they are are hairy
aiAtSEZy.jpeg

The other wilds popped finally, 26 days lol
nfvnEOOu.jpeg

coyote zan white are definitely ready to be transplanted lol
fAROCUEn.jpeg

red brainstrain being slower than the others
WbqVmMWL.jpeg

the growdown plants got upgraded to 3.5 inch deep pots
RErDPZIo.jpeg

I ordered some last minute additions =D
probably going to hate having too many plants in spring!

anyway not much is going on, just keeping them warm when the polar vortex comes, then turning off the heaters when it is 70f a few days later >.>

its ok to have some fungi
seed should still sprout

wydLuILP.jpeg

gKzrQWwO.jpeg

I let some of my seeds dry for a long time due to lazyness, I used the paper towel method and some of the seeds definitely got moldy. Most still sprouted, but the non moldy seeds definitely did better germination percentages

I like all those coyote Zan whites in that pot too! Its a cool pepper

Back