• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela 2019 New Season, new hope

I was thinking about possibly taking a year off.   Last year was my best year growing but the pepper maggots turned me off so much that I lost interest and left way too many peppers on the plants.  I can't let this happen again. 

All this talk about the Sri Lanka Chili Red in the growdown for this season has gotten me pumped up.  I started looking at the ole seed collection and have come up with the start of a plan.  I gotta get those Sri Lankan Reds planted so here is my first group of peppers that I will plant.

Starting with all Chinense and of course a few cells for the Sri Lankas.  Using the same Parks BioDome's that I have used successfully in the past.  60 cells in a 10 row by 6 layout.  I split it down the middle and do 10 rows of 3 cells per pepper.

I am going to start with the "weird" stuff and some old stuff.

Right 10 rows
Agony F2 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Armageddon F4 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Boze Moj F4 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Centurion F1 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Ikaraka F2 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Insane F4 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Carbonero Sherwoods Cream (Walchit)
Ghost White w strain (Walchit)  (what the hay is a w strain?)
JPGS (Walchit)
Swamp Thing (Walchit)
Left 10 rows
Sri Lanka Chili Red  (Woot!)
Griefer  (Gnarly Pods)
Aryana's Chocolate Naga Viper (Gnarly Pods)
Yellow Stinger GP (Gnarly Pods)
Carolina Reaper (Juanitos)
White Bullet Habanero (Juanitos)  I love these!
Devil's Brain (Pepperlover)
Douglah Red (Pepperlover)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (ButchT.com)
I Scream Scropion (ButchT.com)

This is just a start.  Lots more to go.

Wow. I'm sweating just looking at that list, Ben!
Everything from Agony to White Bullet. Egads  :eek:

Glad to see you on the forum this season, Amigo.
Looking forward to watching you light it up. and 
no more lousy   :sick:  pepper maggots  :flamethrower:

Nice Chinense start! Wish you luck, especially with those Sri Lanka  :P

Somehow out of topic: I wonder how do you spell that Boze Moj from Rainbow Chilli Seeds  ;)  Translation from Serbian to English is My God.  English would sound like Boje Moy, where J is like J from Jardin in French,and moy sounds exactly when you say boy. Just like a pepper named Lanterna De Foc, which is pure Romanian language, even if most vendors say is a Kosovo pepper. Lanterna means mostly Flashlight, and De Foc means OF Fire. 

Good luck for 2019 Ben.

molasses insect trap... I saw that this morning, maybe it's worth trying.

XBSSkR9.png

from -> Ajíes del Perú

PaulG said:
Wow. I'm sweating just looking at that list, Ben!
Everything from Agony to White Bullet. Egads  :eek:

Glad to see you on the forum this season, Amigo.
Looking forward to watching you light it up. and 
no more lousy   :sick:  pepper maggots  :flamethrower:
Thanks Paul!  Looking forward to a good growing season.  I am following your glog.  You got a lot of great stuff happening over there.  Best of luck growing this year, especially with your cool crosses!

Trident chilli said:
Excellent list Ben I wish you all the very for 2019
Thanks John!  Like I said, this is just a start.  I tried to sell my extra plants last year and I was only slightly successful.  But, those that did buy from me have already reached out to me about buying again this year, so I will try to start up the same amount, around 140 different peppers, 3 each.  So, more chinense on the way, maybe next week.  I am currently planning on growing 10 different Scotch Bonnet varieties.  That will be fun!

Walchit said:
I've gotten some mold on some of my seeds this year, you might try the peroxide soak, Idk. Maybe in soil it won't be a problem. I used the paper towel method
Thanks for the heads up Andy!  I will give that a try!  Looking forward to the great stuff you sent me.  I assume the "w strain" is the Walchit strain??

rghm1u20 said:
Nice Chinense start! Wish you luck, especially with those Sri Lanka  :P

Somehow out of topic: I wonder how do you spell that Boze Moj from Rainbow Chilli Seeds  ;)  Translation from Serbian to English is My God.  English would sound like Boje Moy, where J is like J from Jardin in French,and moy sounds exactly when you say boy. Just like a pepper named Lanterna De Foc, which is pure Romanian language, even if most vendors say is a Kosovo pepper. Lanterna means mostly Flashlight, and De Foc means OF Fire. 
I did not know that. Thanks for the translation.  It seems like Vladan over at Rainbow Chile Seeds is really into hybrids and coming up with interesting names for them.  I have gotten good stuff from them in the past so I thought I would have some fun and grow a few of his super hot crosses.  Should be fun to see what I get.

floricole said:
Good luck for 2019 Ben.

molasses insect trap... I saw that this morning, maybe it's worth trying.

XBSSkR9.png

from -> Ajíes del Perú

Pierre,  You always send me great ideas and I sincerely appreciate it.  I will look into this and see if I can somehow make if work for my garden area!  Hope all is well over by you and your grow area!

I found the idea of the trap interesting, especially that I have friends raising cows and they have molasses at 45 gallons..

15DTJnD.png

Last summer I finished the leveling for the greenhouse, but i decided to let the winter get through before building it. The soil will be compacted with all the fall rain and I will do a final leveling in the spring.

floricole said:
Last summer I finished the leveling for the greenhouse, but i decided to let the winter get through before building it. The soil will be compacted with all the fall rain and I will do a final leveling in the spring.
Awesome site, Ben. Looks like a lot of room.

How big you thinking?

Just threw down some more seeds  in another biodome.

Death Spiral
Kraken Scorpion
Naga BBG7 Orange
Naglah Beast
Primo X
Grenada Seasoning
Habanada
Podzilla Chocolate
Douglah T X
TRex

and some Scotch Bonnets
Scotch Bonnet 7 Jonah
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate Giant
Scotch Bonnet Faria Tobago
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama Red
Scotch Bonnet Freeport Orange
Scotch Bonnet Papa Dreadie
Scotch Bonnet Kroger
Scotch Bonnet St. Croix
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Scotch Bonnet MOA

It's going to be hot this year...  :onfire:

Germination has been a little slow this year.  So, I have a heat mat under each BioDome.  Both BioDome's weren't showing the germination I would have expected.  I was keeping the heat on 24x7.  So, after a week, I put the heat on a timer, turning it off at night and seeds have been popping somewhat.  I have the following results thus far:

Name, cells/germed cells
Agony F2, 3/1
Armageddon F4, 3/1
Boze Moj F4, 3/0
Centurion F1, 3/0
Ikaraka F2, 3/1
Insane F4, 3/2
Carbonero Cream, 3/3
Bhut Jolokia White w strain, 3/1
JPGS, 3/2
Swamp Thing, 3/3
Sri Lanka Chili Red, 3/3
Griefer, 3/3
Naga Viper Aryana Choc, 3/1
Yellow Stinger GP, 3/3
Carolina Reaper, 3/0
Habanero White Bullet, 3/2
Devil's Brain, 3/2
7 Pot Douglah Red, 3/0
Trinidad Scorp Butch T, 3/1
Trinidad Scorp I Scream, 3/3
Death Spiral, 3/3
Kraken Scorpion, 3/3
Naga BBG7 Orange, 3/3
Naglah Beast, 3/2
Primo X, 3/2
Grenada Seasoning, 3/3
Habanada, 3/3
Podzilla Chocolate, 3/3
DouglahT X, 3/1
TRex, 3/3
Scotch Bonnet 7 Jonah, 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Choc Giant, 3/3
Scotch Bonnet Faria Tobago, 3/3
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama Red, 3/3
Scotch Bonnet Freeport Orange, 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Dreadie, 3/3
Scotch Bonnet Kroger, 3/2
Scotch Bonnet St. Croix, 3/0
Scotch Bonnet TFM, 3/1
Scotch Bonnet MOA, 3/3

Sounds like you have started to turn the
corner on germination, Ben.

That's a honkin' list, my man! How many
plants are you  considering?

Started another set of chinense seeds yesterday.  3 cells of each.  These are seeds I got from Seed Trains and from Texas Hot Peppers.

Brazil Choc Brain
7 Pot Orange Gigantic SR
Aji Charapita
Alphanerdz Douglah
Bonda Mahala
Florissa Peach Reaper
Purple Naga
Swiss Chocolate
7 Pot Pink
Bonda Ma Jacques
7 Pot BBG White
7 Pot Lava Mustard