• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Another Scotch Bonnet Thread

First year growing. So I over bought on seeds. I started the follwing and my germ rates besides the Beth Boyd have been excellent. Non of the Beths have germed. But I'll get them to. 

That said let's say the Beths germ. That gives me 6 different varieties. But I only have room for 4. Which 4 would you keep.

WHP
Sandra's Giant Orange
MOA
P Dreadie
Safi Red
Beth Boyd 

Yeah if you can grow four, you can probably grow six. But I agree with John; if you've got to make cuts, keep the yellow ones. If you want to cut a Yellow variety out, assuming the Beth Boyds pop for you, cut the MOA. Nothing wrong with them; just inconsistent Phenos and comparatively boring flavor profile. (Full disclosure: I never tried the WHP SB, but from what I understand, Justin selected the WHP SB from MOAs, and he considers it an improvement.)

If the Boyds don't pop, maybe that's just your destiny telling you which variety to cut? FWIW, I think Safis are great chiles, but they don't have much on common with the typical Caribbean SBs. Still, I grew them on 17&18, and I got seeds to grow then on 19...

I'll look more into bucket growing that I've seen on here. Never done it before, but might be worth it to save the two types and grow all. 

SoHot said:
I'll look more into bucket growing that I've seen on here. Never done it before, but might be worth it to save the two types and grow all. 
That's an excellent idea. . . send to be a lot of strategies, or at least variations. Seems like the one common theme is you want to use soil/media that drains easily, but check out some of Peter Stanley's methods. I don't recall the details, but I remember seeing he had some nice, big plants growing in orange Home Depot buckets...

And really, enjoy your grow. All the varieties you mentioned are pretty late producers (120+) but once they get going, they tend to pump out a whole lot of pods. Safi Reds are delicious; they taste like red Seven Pot Brainstrains but with only like a quarter of the heat. Awesome in sauces, omelets, sandwiches, or even just as a snack for adventurous ppl.

Back