• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting New to fermenting, need advice

That is 5 weeks it's been in the jar. I did it before getting a scale so I used a formula that I found online as to how much salt to use. Not sure if it was right or not.
Now I have a scale and a few fresh habs, wonder if I should start over? Weigh everything out and add some peppers from the freezer. What's your thoughts on this?
212cd50bb329385ebbb9057e633e6b7a.jpg

It has finished the initial big burst of releasing gas in usually 2 weeks for that size of ferment.

Everything has sank as expected. You can proceed to making a sauce or let it go for more depth in flavors while it ages.

30 days is good.

90 even better.

360 might have a real gem.

:cheers:

Can't speak to the ferment as I've no idea about the weights and measures of all ingredients.  It doesn't look like it's gone bad for the record.

I did a tutorial a while back that might be of some help.  The main thing with fermentation is to understand it's a growth process kind of thing - your initial efforts might not be as great as your ideal - but if you keep going you will eventually make yourself some kickass hotsauce (and many other things). 

Stick with it and post back with your results!  :)

Judging the pic, looks ok.  

In my 1st batch, I put 1 Tbsp of Pure Himalayan Pink Salt for 2 cups of water   The brine turned slightly cloudy in the 1 week & released alot of CO2 in Week1/2.

Perhaps, for the new batch, you could blend the chillis with the brine, then ferment.  :rolleyes:

Back