• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is Jamaican Hot Chocolate a hab?

Some pretty funny comments here  :rofl:

I'm not a Chilli nut quite yet but i'm making progress.... i wanted to ask you qualified 'nuts' something though....
I have been looking at Jamaican Hot Chocolate seeds from a few places and have noticed that some call it a JHC habanero and others just JHC, so i'm wondering why that is, as i've also seen some say that JHC is not a habanero.
I know i'm on my way to becoming a Capsicum & Tomato nut when i'm getting concerned with such little things.   :rolleyes:

Thanks for any input. :)

Dr. Weird said:

I'm not a Chilli nut quite yet but i'm making progress.... i wanted to ask you qualified 'nuts' something though....
I have been looking at Jamaican Hot Chocolate seeds from a few places and have noticed that some call it a JHC habanero and others just JHC, so i'm wondering why that is, as i've also seen some say that JHC is not a habanero.
I know i'm on my way to becoming a Capsicum & Tomato nut when i'm getting concerned with such little things.   :rolleyes:

Great question deserving of it's own thread. You'll have your answer in no time by people a lot smarter about such things than me.:D

Dr. Weird said:

Don't forget to throw the Congo's in there also! Chile taxonomy at the hobby level is daft. If you think those are confusing,stick around. There is no shortage of threads with people being verbally accosted over the same exact variety being renamed because it was grown 3 city blocks away and had a unique indent in one pod.  All those mentioned have come from  similar initial sources and have been renamed for variations that occur over years of selection,genetic drift,etc.

Grow them,much them,share them and enjoy yourself.You've already qualified yourself as a nut for wanting to stick something that hot in your mouth.

is a "Congo" pepper a "Hab" from Trinidad and Tobago or is it different enough it is not a "Hab"

is a Hatch pepper still a Hatch pepper if it's not grown in the Hatch Valley region in New Mexico ?

is it champagne if it didn't come from Champagne France ?

I think a lot of the names are regional names.
For some people those differences help them keep track of their origins, or at least provide another way to categorize them.

Jamaican Hot Chocolate is a Capsicum chinense   as are "Habs", "Congos", "Scorpions", "7pots" , etc.

did i just make it more confusing ?  :think:

Capsicum chinense is a species of chile. I've read in multiple sources that some botanists consider Capsicum chinense to be part of Capsicum annuum, but I've never heard nor read material from anyone who feels that way personally. Basically, a Habanero is a variety of chinense. All Habaneros are chinense, but not all chinense are Habaneros. Someone mentioned that a lot of chile nomenclature is regional, and that is true. Weird thing about it is, Habaneros aren't popular in Havana and, from what I understand, they never were.

A lot of folks have abreast pointed out that there is basically a habanero type, and that these types are most often called different names on different areas of the world. As far as I can tell, el Mundo Hispanico and the USA refers to these things as Habaneros, whereas the Caribbean tends to call Hab types "Congo," even though they aren't from the Congo. Generally speaking, the "Congos" trend to be bigger than the Habs, but there are plenty of huge Habaneros, and there may be some dinky Confidential, although I cannot think of any.

From what I've read on some old works seed vendors' sites, such as semillas.de, it seems like some of the African Hab tours are often referred to as Scotch Bonnets.

To me, "Habaneros" are chinense peppers on that whole 200k - 550k shu range, and they tend to be of a general shape and size, of course with a lot of variation. It's tough to categorize and argue, but once you get the basic idea, you'll know it when you see it/taste it. In the case of the JHC, there are enough discussions here on THP and elsewhere on the interwebs about the minor distinctions between the Jamaican Hott Chocolates and Chocolate Habaneros that I can say that they are very similar. Bc I'm a bit pedantic, I would call the JHC a Hab-type rather than a Habanero, but virtually every time I tried to explain them to a fellow lover of delicious peppers, I end up saying they are "really good chocolate Habs, basically."

Not sure all this bloviating helped you at all but I know that I, for one, feel a lot better now. Thanks.

Ps- if you're looking to grow one of these, the JHC is a rad chile. They are obnoxiously productive plants, sure to make you feel like a champion grower even if you don't deserve it.

Ps2-alot of Hab-types are crazy productive like that, though.

So is a chocolate habanero the same thing as the Jamaican hot chocolate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some regular Chocolate Habaneros growing just now so i will compare them to the JHC when i get those seeds.... i will share the results here.... eventually.

If you grew JHCs and Chocolate Habs side by side, you'd likely notice some differences in the plants themselves, and subtle differences in the flavor and appearance of the pods, even beyond just normal individual variation one might find between multiple plants of the same strain. But, you are a ChileHead, so you might tend to get really analytical about peppers.

If you picked a bunch of both strains and mixed them together and offered them for sale at a market, most normal consumers would probably never suspect that more than one type of pepper was represented in the basket.

You'll find some vendors that sell both JHCs and Choco Habs, and they ARE different strains. They are just some different strains with a shitload of similarities. It wouldn't surprise me if one originated from the other but, tbh, I don't know the backstory of either.

I grew JHCs in 2017 and ChocoHabs on 2018. Both varieties came from CCN. The JHC plants were all short and bushy and they produced a stupid-huge number of pods, especially considering they were fairly small plants. The Choco Hab plant I grew was much taller, more tree-like, and while it pushed out a nice number of pods, it wasn't nearly on the production level of the JHCs.

With a full year between tasting the JHCs and the Chocolate Habs, it's really hard for me to compare the flavors, but they were very very similar in terms of heat and they both have that usual brown chinense taste. I recall being more impressed with the JHCs than I was the Choco Habs, but that doesn't say much. There's probably a lot more differences between Bike808 '17 and Bike808 '18 than there is between these two peppers.

FWIW, if I had to do grow one of these again, I'd definitely pick the JHCs, mostly bc I like its growth habits more.

wrinklenuts said:
I've wondered the same thing for a long time.  That's kind of like is a chocolate scorpion the same as a chocolate moruga scorpion? I have no clue. LOL
In this case not. The Chocolate Moruga Scorpion is a variant of the Red one, is more corrugated than the Chocolate Scorpion, which has a smooth skin and is usually less hot than the Moruga.

As for the JHC I think It Can be put in the Habanero family.

Guitarman said:
I'm glad this topic was opened, Jamaican Hot Chocolate is so underrated.
It may deserve a mention among the best tasting overall, along with the Fatalii and few others.
Just my opinion.
Nice I’m growing both of those this season what are the few others? [emoji41]

Sinn said:
Nice Im growing both of those this season what are the few others? [emoji41]

Scotch Bonnet, Bahamian Goat among them.
Then is subjective, but I've heard only good things from pepper people who tried a lot.
I'm staying in the Chinense-Habanero heat level Peppers: if you extend the list to other genus or Scoville Units then you Can add many more.

Bicycle808 said:
Capsicum chinense is a species of chile. I've read in multiple sources that some botanists consider Capsicum chinense to be part of Capsicum annuum, but I've never heard nor read material from anyone who feels that way personally. Basically, a Habanero is a variety of chinense. All Habaneros are chinense, but not all chinense are Habaneros. Someone mentioned that a lot of chile nomenclature is regional, and that is true. Weird thing about it is, Habaneros aren't popular in Havana and, from what I understand, they never were.

A lot of folks have abreast pointed out that there is basically a habanero type, and that these types are most often called different names on different areas of the world. As far as I can tell, el Mundo Hispanico and the USA refers to these things as Habaneros, whereas the Caribbean tends to call Hab types "Congo," even though they aren't from the Congo. Generally speaking, the "Congos" trend to be bigger than the Habs, but there are plenty of huge Habaneros, and there may be some dinky Confidential, although I cannot think of any.

From what I've read on some old works seed vendors' sites, such as semillas.de, it seems like some of the African Hab tours are often referred to as Scotch Bonnets.

To me, "Habaneros" are chinense peppers on that whole 200k - 550k shu range, and they tend to be of a general shape and size, of course with a lot of variation. It's tough to categorize and argue, but once you get the basic idea, you'll know it when you see it/taste it. In the case of the JHC, there are enough discussions here on THP and elsewhere on the interwebs about the minor distinctions between the Jamaican Hott Chocolates and Chocolate Habaneros that I can say that they are very similar. Bc I'm a bit pedantic, I would call the JHC a Hab-type rather than a Habanero, but virtually every time I tried to explain them to a fellow lover of delicious peppers, I end up saying they are "really good chocolate Habs, basically."

Not sure all this bloviating helped you at all but I know that I, for one, feel a lot better now. Thanks.

Ps- if you're looking to grow one of these, the JHC is a rad chile. They are obnoxiously productive plants, sure to make you feel like a champion grower even if you don't deserve it.

Ps2-alot of Hab-types are crazy productive like that, though.

In my opinion they are all from a very similar source and over generations,the best pods are selected for seed by farmers. Then after distribution they are named at the varietal level by region and now in this day and age,any Joe sixpack with some creativity.

A perfect example is the yellow 7 pot/pod. There were numerous ones after only a couple years of the original being in the states. Some were lobed with pebbled skin,others round and smooth. All of them were prolific,hot and super aromatic monsters. And all were and still are yellow 7 pot/pods.

Back