#1 WestPennineSpice

WestPennineSpice

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:15 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 10litre (10 quartz for US I think) bottle of pepper mash from a retailer to experiment with some recipes. How many bottles 8oz (220ml) of hot sauce would that potentially make with added ingredients?

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Scoville DeVille

Scoville DeVille

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 17,262 posts
  • aka:Sofa King
  • Location:Middle of the top of the upper left corner of the lower 48
  • (x7)

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

My guess would be 1 to 1 so approximately 4oz mash to 4oz "other" ingredients. Depends on the heat level of the mash, flavor etc, and the heat level of sauce you want to make. But I am no sauce maker, someone much more knowledgeable will be here to answer your question better than I.

Good luck!

#3 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,367 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 10litre (10 quartz for US I think) bottle of pepper mash from a retailer to experiment with some recipes. How many bottles 8oz (220ml) of hot sauce would that potentially make with added ingredients?

10 liters will make around fifty 8oz bottles on its own without any other added ingredients.  If you're adding other ingredients such as vinegar, onion, garlic, tomato, cucumber (I was curious lol) it will make even more.

If you're using a 1:1 ratio as Scovie suggested above then you'd have 20 liters - roughly 100 eight ounce bottles.

I'd split the mash into five 2 liter batches so you can test 5 different recipe batches of 20 bottles each, or you could make individual liter batches of 10 bottles (or so) each.  Depends on how many people's feedback you want to get I suppose.

Hope this helps!  :)

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#4 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,484 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

Totally depends on the heat of the mash ( chile variety) and desired heat of the sauce.

I have used 6 habaneros (maybe10-20 ml?) In 4 liters of sauce for a level 3/10 sauce. And then there are other sauces that are 1/1 scorpions and other stuff that are 9/10 for most.

Have Fun!
SL
PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#5 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,076 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:25 PM

1) Depends on your recipe. Surely you have a rough draft of your recipe. You should be able to figure out how much it makes by that, the same way you would approximately know if you bought tomato puree to make pasta sauce, and added olive oil, garlic, and onion. Pretty close to the same as the can. Are you adding tons of stuff?

2) Depends on the pepper you are talking about and how hot you want the sauce. Is this habanero mash? Reaper?

Etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests