• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help with grow box (my first ever attempt to grow chili)

Hey guys!

Recently I decided that I want to grow some chili (havent decided what kind), but since my room is too dark and no windows in it, just doors, I want to use a grow box. If I use mylar foil, and LED bulb (32W 6400K, 2160 lumen) you guys think I can pull it off? Maybe an USB mini fan, for air. Also I dont want to spend too much money on it, if this isnt viable maybe I will drop this idea. Thanks in advance for the answers!

Wal-Mart has 45 watt shop lights that are 5000 lumens, for $22. I have 3 covering a 2x4 area. I think they are gonna work just fine.

I hear ya.

Flourecent tubes work good for starting plants too. A 4 bulb T8 or T5 covers a 4x2 foot area too. I know nothing about what's available in Hungary, but surely you have t8 fixtures available.

How many plants are you trying to grow, and do you plan on putting them outside once the weather warms up?

I looked around a bit, we have T8 but Im suck at electronics, so I dont know if I can use it, thats why I thought that the LED bulb is easier for me. For starting I just want 1 or 2, and I dont want to put outside because I dont have a garden, or balcony. So all is in a box

Good morning (prolly afternoon to you now)  to you sir!!

What kind of a bulb are we talking about like a corn bulb type thing or a spotlight type bulb? If its corn bulbs you would likely need a small handfull of them to do a full indoor grow as the light is not focused on the plants...A spotlight bulb would help but again would need more lumens to have a full indoor grow.

It would likely be fine for starting seedlings though for a short while, I had kinda the same idea last year but now just use them as extra lights on my strip lights which are my main source now.

This is not a great pic but will give you an idea

WBHXAg1.jpg

I used some bulb splitters from Ebay, some of which are 5-6 bulb adapters and hung a few of them around. It really is not a terrible idea but the spotlight type bulbs would of been much better with more focus on the plants instead of alot of light being shot all over the place.

Yeah Idk about indoor pods, Peter S is a member here, he has a lot of videos on different led lights. Like the hlg100.

Back