• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red wigglers are absolute troopers

I put 500 red wigglers into my chilli plant container. Its a 20 or 25 liter container I believe and it's BLACK
I checked them today and they are still in there, as wriggly as ever

I honestly thought they'd died and I'll tell you why

In december we had 5 days in a row over 35 celsius, one of which was 42 celcius - I was away from home in this period as well and the plant received no water
January had 10 days over 35 degrees, including a 41 degree day, 4 days consecutively over 40 degrees one of which was 42 degrees, and another 3 consecutive days over 40 the last of which exceeded 46 degrees

They are all still in there, happy as ever. If they died, they didn't try to escape as there are no dead worms to be found out the bottom of the contain in the drip tray or in the surrounding balcony. When I first put them in there a few escaped and they didn't make it far on the humble 28 degree day so I'm confident none escaped. Perhaps they did die without escaping but there was enough eggs in there to get them going again

Either way, they are absolute madmen. They should have been nuked in that black tub

Back